C++ vs Fortran
Author Message
 C++ vs Fortran

Hi,
I must program a image processing software (Fourier, Wavelets...) and the
GUI is very important.
I've been recommended to use fortran since it runs faster and doing the GUI
with VC++.  I thought of using C++ Builder.
I'd like to have comments on both solutions so that I can choose (and
argument my choice).
Thanks in advance,
Ghislain

Wed, 17 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 C++ vs Fortran
/ I must program a image processing software (Fourier, Wavelets...) and the
/ GUI is very important.
/ I've been recommended to use Fortran since it runs faster and doing the GUI
/ with VC++.  I thought of using C++ Builder.
/ I'd like to have comments on both solutions so that I can choose (and
/ argument my choice).

Really depends on the compilers, what you can do, and how constrained you
are. Fortran programs can generally be optimised more aggressively: the
compiler has more information and the programmer is more restricted. But
that doesn't mean it will happen. Some compilers are a Fortran or C parser
in front of the same code generator, and they take no advantage of the
difference. Some compilers are just plain dumb.

C++ can have additional performance problems because many decisions must
be left till execution.

If you're comfortable with Fortran and you don't foresee any maintenance
problems, why not use it? At worst you'll break even.

--
CACS - Special Halloween Edition
v0.12 all pages done. http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/cacs

Wed, 17 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 C++ vs Fortran

Quote:

> I must program a image processing software (Fourier, Wavelets...) and the
> GUI is very important.
> I've been recommended to use Fortran since it runs faster and doing the GUI
> with VC++.  I thought of using C++ Builder.
> I'd like to have comments on both solutions so that I can choose (and
> argument my choice).
> Thanks in advance,
> Ghislain

PL/I for OS/2 and Windows have a gui.
Picture processing is covered in
"Introduction to PL/I, Algorithms, and Structured
Programming" ISBN 0-9596384-9-0
as are FFTs.

Thu, 18 Apr 2002 02:00:00 GMT
 C++ vs Fortran

A lot depends on which language you have experience with (I wouldn't
want to start a major project for someone else in a completely new
language).  Also, what packages are already available to save you
work?  I guess there are good FFT routines already written for
both C++ and Fortran.  Fortran is designed with number-crunching in mind
so it makes sense to use that for the calculations if you are happy with
it.

For the GUI, there is a lot more choice.  Does "important" mean that the
the interface is very complex, or that it has to look pretty?  If you
have not used C++ before (especially if you have not used an object
oriented language and/or C before) then any GUI is going to be
restricted to whatever the "wizard" can generate, without a lot of work
and learning.

There are many languages designed to provide interfaces to
computation-intensive code - Tcl, for example, or Python.  These have
graphics toolkits (Tcl is used usually with Tk, python can be used with
Tk or with a range of other packages).  Again, it depends a lot on what
you are used to.  The advantage of these languages over C++ is that they
are simpler and often interpreted (speed is not so important, while
development time is quicker).

But again, if you have not used any of these then you are better going
with something you do know, if you can interface it to Fortran and it
has a GUI toolkit.  GUI programming, except for simple cases, is very
challenging (although this may be a simple case if you are just
displaying results).

Alternatively, how about something like IDL (a maths package/array
manipulation language) or Mathematica?  They already integrate
calculations and GUI, and their internal routines are as fast as
anything you are likely to write (the advantage of using Fortran or C++
is for complex programs with many different calculations - if you are
just doing FFTs, then the FFT routine in a maths package should be just
as fast).

Andrew
PS For more general information on languages, and pointers to more
information on the languages I mention above, look at
http://www.andrewcooke.free-online.co.uk/andrew/lang.html

PPS Are you *sure* that software like this does not already exist?  From
my own experience I know that astronomers have a wide variety of image
processing software, for example.

Quote:
> Hi,
> I must program a image processing software (Fourier, Wavelets...) and
the
> GUI is very important.
> I've been recommended to use Fortran since it runs faster and doing
the GUI
> with VC++.  I thought of using C++ Builder.
> I'd like to have comments on both solutions so that I can choose (and
> argument my choice).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Thu, 18 Apr 2002 02:00:00 GMT
 C++ vs Fortran
Even better, build the GUI in Visual Basic and use PL/I for the algorithmic
part. Works fine and you get great productivity.

Quote:

> > I must program a image processing software (Fourier, Wavelets...) and
the
> > GUI is very important.
> > I've been recommended to use Fortran since it runs faster and doing the
GUI
> > with VC++.  I thought of using C++ Builder.
> > I'd like to have comments on both solutions so that I can choose (and
> > argument my choice).
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Ghislain

> PL/I for OS/2 and Windows have a gui.
> Picture processing is covered in
> "Introduction to PL/I, Algorithms, and Structured
> Programming" ISBN 0-9596384-9-0
> as are FFTs.

Thu, 18 Apr 2002 02:00:00 GMT
 C++ vs Fortran

Quote:

> Hi,
> I must program a image processing software (Fourier, Wavelets...) and the
> GUI is very important.
> I've been recommended to use Fortran since it runs faster and doing the GUI
> with VC++.  I thought of using C++ Builder.
> I'd like to have comments on both solutions so that I can choose (and
> argument my choice).
> Thanks in advance,
> Ghislain

since you mention VC++, I'll assume your target platform is
Intel/Win32. in which case, one solution is to get Digital
Visual Fortran, which combines a high-quality Fortran 90/95
compiler with a variety of libraries, including wrappers
to the Win32 graphics library.

in the long term, however, you may want to avoid putting a lot
of effort into something that is platform-dependent. in which
case, a Fortran/Java solution would probably be better.

"There are lies, damned lies, and statistics" -- Benjamin Disraeli
"...and benchmarks" -- Garry Hodgson

Thu, 18 Apr 2002 02:00:00 GMT
 C++ vs Fortran
Well, in fact there could be maintenance problem since this is intended to
evolve untill I find an good "procedure" to help a doctor.
About the Fortran compiler, how good is Digital Visual Fortran?

China Beach Blue a crit dans le message ...

Quote:
>/ I must program a image processing software (Fourier, Wavelets...) and the
>/ GUI is very important.
>/ I've been recommended to use Fortran since it runs faster and doing the
GUI
>/ with VC++.  I thought of using C++ Builder.
>/ I'd like to have comments on both solutions so that I can choose (and
>/ argument my choice).

>Really depends on the compilers, what you can do, and how constrained you
>are. Fortran programs can generally be optimised more aggressively: the
>compiler has more information and the programmer is more restricted. But
>that doesn't mean it will happen. Some compilers are a Fortran or C parser
>in front of the same code generator, and they take no advantage of the
>difference. Some compilers are just plain dumb.

>C++ can have additional performance problems because many decisions must
>be left till execution.

>If you're comfortable with Fortran and you don't foresee any maintenance
>problems, why not use it? At worst you'll break even.

>--
>CACS - Special Halloween Edition
>v0.12 all pages done. http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/cacs
>For a free CACS T-shirt send $42 shipping and handling.
>pretty?     http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/5079/

Fri, 19 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 C++ vs Fortran

Quote:
> About the Fortran compiler, how good is Digital Visual Fortran?

Hi;

Please note I am not referenig to the  choice of programming language....

I use Compaq Visual Fortran 6.1 (It is not Digital Visual Fortran anymore)
for very demanding floating point calculations. (I am  mostly programming in
Fortran 95 and sometimes Fortran77; occasionally I mix my programmes with
C++ and visual Basic ).  I am more than satisfied with CVF6.1. It comes with
two excellent set of libraries (Professional version): IMSL and Compaq
Extended Math Library (FFT...). The later one is new and I find it "damn
good" with an excellent documentation.  They have Array Visualizer (for data
visualizing) and lot more (great support team, discussion forum...)

check CVF site at http://www.digital.com/fortran/
for an independent win32 Fortran compiler comparison check:
http://www.polyhedron.com/

and for more feedback from other user post  your message in

(people in comp.lang.fortran are mostly scientists and engineers, I am sure
you will find some body working in image processing...)

Nobat

Sat, 20 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Statistics for maintenance time for C vs C++ vs Fortran

2. C++ vs Fortran

3. C++ vs Fortran

4. speed: C/C++ vs Fortran

5. Fortran 77 vs Fortran90 vs C vs C++

6. Cellular automata benchmarks: Java vs C++ vs Java vs C++

7. C/C++ vs Fortran: Speed/Efficiency in Num. Methods?

8. need info on C++ vs Object Pascal vs Objective C vs etc

9. Lisp vs Java vs C++ vs...

10. c++ calling fortran and fortran calling C++

11. Fortran 90 vs HPF vs Fortran D

12. Fortran vs C++ for scientific computing