Simple Q - Copy *.* and avoiding 'press yes'
Author Message
 Simple Q - Copy *.* and avoiding 'press yes'

I need to do a simple backup every night, basically a "copy *.*" from one
hard drive to another.  How can I overcome the inherent prompt where I have
to press "Y" then "Enter" ?

I appreciate it!

Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:32:32 GMT
 Simple Q - Copy *.* and avoiding 'press yes'

Quote:

>I need to do a simple backup every night, basically a "copy *.*" from one
>hard drive to another.  How can I overcome the inherent prompt where I have
>to press "Y" then "Enter" ?

>I appreciate it!

What OS are you using?  Some systems have a yes command that can be used
in a pipeline to do this.

--

---
There is a limit to how stupid people really are -- just as there's a limit

Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:52:23 GMT
 Simple Q - Copy *.* and avoiding 'press yes'
Sorry, simple MS-DOS, like in a shell for Win98 or something.

Quote:

> >I need to do a simple backup every night, basically a "copy *.*" from one
> >hard drive to another.  How can I overcome the inherent prompt where I
have
> >to press "Y" then "Enter" ?

> >I appreciate it!

> What OS are you using?  Some systems have a yes command that can be used
> in a pipeline to do this.

> --

> ---
> There is a limit to how stupid people really are -- just as there's a
limit
> to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.  There's a lot, but there's a
> limit.
> --- David C. Barber

Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:14:09 GMT
 Simple Q - Copy *.* and avoiding 'press yes'
I'm going to just put this into a 'copyall.bat' batch file or something.
KISS if you know what I mean (keep it simple stupid)  :)

Thanks!

Quote:
> Sorry, simple MS-DOS, like in a shell for Win98 or something.

> > >I need to do a simple backup every night, basically a "copy *.*" from
one
> > >hard drive to another.  How can I overcome the inherent prompt where I
> have
> > >to press "Y" then "Enter" ?

> > >I appreciate it!

> > What OS are you using?  Some systems have a yes command that can be used
> > in a pipeline to do this.

> > --

> > ---
> > There is a limit to how stupid people really are -- just as there's a
> limit
> > to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.  There's a lot, but there's a
> > limit.
> > --- David C. Barber

Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:15:31 GMT
 Simple Q - Copy *.* and avoiding 'press yes'
I do something similar to this every night. Since you mentioned Win98, use
the xcopy command:

XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /S/D/E/Y

/S = Include sub-directories
/D = Copies source files that are newer
/E = Include empty directories
/Y = Suppress the prompt!

I place this in a batch file and run it through the Windows scheduler.

B-Mann

Quote:
> I'm going to just put this into a 'copyall.bat' batch file or something.
> KISS if you know what I mean (keep it simple stupid)  :)

> Thanks!

> > Sorry, simple MS-DOS, like in a shell for Win98 or something.

> one
> > have

> > > What OS are you using?  Some systems have a yes command that can be
used
> > > in a pipeline to do this.

> > > --

> > > ---
> > > There is a limit to how stupid people really are -- just as there's a
> > limit
> > > to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.  There's a lot, but there's
> > > limit.
> > > --- David C. Barber

Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:23:37 GMT
 Simple Q - Copy *.* and avoiding 'press yes'

Quote:

> ---
> There is a limit to how stupid people really are -- just as there's a limit
> to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.  There's a lot, but there's a
> limit.

I used to think so, but now I think people can be limitlessly,
boundlessly, endlessly, or infinitely stupid.

Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:18:01 GMT
 Simple Q - Copy *.* and avoiding 'press yes'
On Sun, 28 Jan 2001 04:32:32 GMT, "Randy TNO"

Quote:

>I need to do a simple backup every night, basically a "copy *.*" from one
>hard drive to another.  How can I overcome the inherent prompt where I have
>to press "Y" then "Enter" ?

What "inherent prompt?"  Last I looked, COPY does not prompt by
default if used in a batch file.

Fri, 18 Jul 2003 00:55:32 GMT
 Simple Q - Copy *.* and avoiding 'press yes'

Quote:

> Sorry, simple MS-DOS, like in a shell for Win98 or something.

echo y | copy *.* x:

Quote:

> > >I need to do a simple backup every night, basically a "copy *.*" from one
> > >hard drive to another.  How can I overcome the inherent prompt where I
> have
> > >to press "Y" then "Enter" ?

> > >I appreciate it!

> > What OS are you using?  Some systems have a yes command that can be used
> > in a pipeline to do this.

> > --

> > ---
> > There is a limit to how stupid people really are -- just as there's a
> limit
> > to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.  There's a lot, but there's a
> > limit.
> > --- David C. Barber

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk

Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:03:04 GMT
 Simple Q - Copy *.* and avoiding 'press yes'
like that:

Quote:
> echo y | copy *.* x:

1. What about if COPY clears the STDIN buffer?
2. What about if COPY gets it's input directly from the keyboard?

The first posibility is more probably... read my answer to the FORMAT

you'll know everything. If it's really the first posibility I can help with
writing a resident for that.

--
Best regards - TiR 2000 - GG# 413992
Konserwatywna Unia Realizacji Webmasterskich Ambicji

Sun, 20 Jul 2003 04:25:05 GMT
 Simple Q - Copy *.* and avoiding 'press yes'

Quote:

> I need to do a simple backup every night, basically a "copy *.*" from
> one hard drive to another.  How can I overcome the inherent prompt
> where I have to press "Y" then "Enter" ?

> I appreciate it!

Have you tried typing COPY/? at a command prompt yet?  If so, you would
have seen the answer ...

  copy source destination /Y

The switch has been there since COPY first started checking for the
presence of a matching 'destination' file in version 6.0 of DOS.

Tom Lavedas
-----------
http://www.pressroom.com/~tglbatch/

Sun, 20 Jul 2003 05:55:52 GMT
 Simple Q - Copy *.* and avoiding 'press yes'

Quote:
> > echo y | copy *.* x:

> 1. What about if COPY clears the STDIN buffer?
> 2. What about if COPY gets it's input directly from the keyboard?

3. What about if it's a version localized to a language other than English?

--

 \__/
  ^^                      SYGNATURA ZASTPCZA

Sun, 20 Jul 2003 06:14:44 GMT
 Simple Q - Copy *.* and avoiding 'press yes'
"Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk" in message

Quote:

> 3. What about if it's a version localized to a language other than

English?

Change one byte ('y' to 't' or anything else) and will work fine!

--
Best regards - TiR 2000 - GG# 413992
Konserwatywna Unia Realizacji Webmasterskich Ambicji

My email addy - tir2000<at>wot.SPAM.com.SUCKS.pl.ASS
TiRNet Service - http://www.tir2000.prv.pl

Sun, 20 Jul 2003 17:32:33 GMT

1. Qs re 'Write & 'Read

2. How to avoid the '\' and list

3. Avoiding <'s and >'s in Tcl for XML use

4. Newbie Qs: startup time, Module.constants, chdir, Ruby distro's library

5. Copy 'DOS' File to another directory

6. 'COPY TO' command

7. Do we need 'copy'?

8. copy , using 'system'

9. 'Simple Awk Script ?'

10. simple text file 'parsing' question

11. (subtypep '(simple-array character (*)) '(array character (*)))

12. yes yes yes