New Book: PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE PRAGMATICS
Author Message
 New Book: PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE PRAGMATICS

PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE PRAGMATICS
by Michael L. Scott
Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, October 1999, ISBN: 1-55860-442-1

Programming Language Pragmatics addresses the fundamental principles
at work in the most important contemporary languages, highlights the
critical relationship between language design and language
implementation, and devotes special attention to issues of importance
to the expert programmer. Thanks to its rigorous but accessible
teaching style, you'll emerge better prepared to choose the best
language for particular projects, to make more effective use of
languages you already know, and to learn new languages quickly and
completely.

FEATURES
- Addresses the most recent developments in programming language design,
spanning more than forty different languages, including Ada 95, C, C++,
fortran 95, Java, Lisp, Scheme, ML, Modula-3, Pascal, and Prolog.
- Places a special emphasis on implementation issueshow the techniques
used by compilers and related tools influence language design, and vice
versa.
- Covers advanced topics in language design and implemenation, such as
iterators, coroutines, templates (generics), separate compilation, I/O,
type inference, and exception handling.
- Reviews language-related topics in assembly-level architecture
critical for understanding what a compiler does to a program.
- Offers in-depth coverage of object-oriented programming, including
multiple inheritance and dynamic method binding.
- Devotes a special section to static and dynamic linking.
- Includes a comprehensive chapter on concurrency, with detailed
coverage of both shared-memory and message-passing languages and
libraries.
- Provides an accessible introduction to the formal foundations of
compilation (automata theory), functional programming (lambda calculus),
and logic programming (predicate calculus).

CONTENTS
Preface -- Introduction -- Programming Language Syntax -- Names, Scopes,
and Bindings -- Semantic Analysis -- Assembly-Level Computer
Architecture -- Control Flow -- Data Types -- Subroutines and Control
Abstraction -- Data Abstraction and Object Orientation -- Alternative
Programming Models: Functional and Logic Languages -- The Back End of
the Compiler -- Concurrency -- Code Improvement -- Appendices

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Morgan Kaufmann Publishers
San Francisco, California
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 15 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 New Book: PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE PRAGMATICS
Speaking for the AI community in general and the comp.ai.*
newsgroups in particular, any forward-thinking 'Net-Presence

Quote:
> PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE PRAGMATICS
> by Michael L. Scott
> Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, October 1999, ISBN: 1-55860-442-1
> Programming Language Pragmatics addresses the fundamental
> principles at work in the most important contemporary languages,

Moderator's note: which for AI is Forth </pragmatically speaking>

Quote:
> highlights the critical relationship between language design
> and language implementation, and devotes special attention to
> issues of importance to the expert programmer. Thanks to its

!!^^^^^^ (Obsolete! -- post-Microsoft: "issues" scilicet "bugs")
Quote:
> rigorous but accessible teaching style, you'll emerge better

Engineers note ^^^^^^^^^^ -- you, too, will be enlightened</*>

Quote:
> prepared to choose the best language for particular projects,
> to make more effective use of languages you already know,
> and to learn new languages quickly and completely.

because it is THE book of the 20th Century on prog languages;
however, see AI community consensus below for post-Y2K books.

Quote:
> FEATURES

- Addresses the most recent developments in programming
Quote:
> language design, spanning more than forty different languages,
> including Ada 95, C, C++, Fortran 95, Java, Lisp, Scheme, ML,
> Modula-3, Pascal, and Prolog.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7256/webcyc.html#proglangs
see special AI-community information pertaining to all of </above>.

- Places a special emphasis on implementation issues -- how

Quote:
> the techniques used by compilers and related tools influence
> language design, and vice versa.

- Covers advanced topics in language design and implemenation,
Quote:
> such as iterators, coroutines, templates (generics), separate
> compilation, I/O, type inference, and exception handling.

- Reviews language-related topics in assembly-level architecture
Quote:
> for understanding what a compiler does to a program.

- Offers in-depth coverage of object-oriented programming,
Quote:
> including multiple inheritance and dynamic method binding.

- Devotes a special section to static and dynamic linking.
- Includes a comprehensive chapter on concurrency, with detailed
Quote:
> cover of both shared-memory and message-passing languages and
> libraries.

- Provides an accessible introduction to the formal foundations

Quote:
> of compilation (automata theory), functional programming (lambda
> calculus), and logic programming (predicate calculus).

The AI community now issues a call for a better-than-best book,
to be issued in the dawning millennium, and to include force majeure
measures to advance the cause of human liberty in tandem with
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~phoenix/vinge/vinge-sing.html Vinge's
formulation of the Technological Singularity about to embrace and
extend the principles of technology so adumbrated in pre-Y2K books.

http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/aisource.html Mind.Forth AI as heralded
in the Association for Computing Machinery Sigplan Notices (Dec 1998)
is one among many invitations which wee in the AI community extend
to authors of Y2K++ computer architecture/compiler/language books:
Kill two Microsofts with one stony asteroid so to speak, by using
AI algorithms to implement each point of expertise in your next book,
and fashion all homework problems, pragmatic exercises, etc. around
the all-out earthbound effort to escape to the stars via Mind.Forth:
<PRE>
  /^^^^^^^^^^^\   Mindgrid Arrays in Mind.Forth   /^^^^^^^^^^^\
 /visual memory\                   _________     /  auditory   \
|      /--------|---------\       / LANG-UK \   |   memory      |
|      |  recog-|nition   |       \_________/---|-------------\ |
|   ___|___     |         | flush-vector|       |   ________  | |
|  /image  \    |     ____V_        ____V__     |  /        \ | |
| / percept \   |    / psi  \------/English\----|-/  speech  \| |
| \ engrams /---|---/concepts\----/ lexicon \---|-\ phonemes /  |
|  \_______/    |   \________/    \_________/   |  \________/   |
</PRE>

Quote:
> CONTENTS
> Preface -- Introduction -- Programming Language Syntax -- Names,
> Scopes, and Bindings -- Semantic Analysis -- Assembly-Level Computer
> Architecture --  Control Flow -- Data Types -- Subroutines and
> Control Abstraction -- Data Abstraction and Object Orientation --
> Alternative  Programming Models: Functional and Logic Languages --
> The Back End of the Compiler --  Concurrency -- Code Improvement --
> Appendices
> FOR MORE INFORMATION:
> http://www.mkp.com/books_catalog/1-55860-442-1.asp
> Morgan Kaufmann Publishers
> San Francisco, California
> http://www.mkp.com

Mon, 15 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 New Book: PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE PRAGMATICS
I HIGHLY recommend this book

I have not been able to put this book down.  It is simply the most
useful book on understanding the design and implementation of
languages that I have seen.  It won't show you how to build your own
from scratch, but if you are trying to understand how to design and
implement a language, like I am, you need this book.

My favorite aspects of this book...
  It is not littered with example code
  It is not a history book
  It is not a "for dummies" book
  It is not full of proofs
  Surveys of existing languages

FYI - It's 856 pages long and cost me $70.

- Brian Webb

Quote:
>PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE PRAGMATICS
>by Michael L. Scott
>Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, October 1999, ISBN: 1-55860-442-1

(snip)

>FOR MORE INFORMATION:
>http://www.mkp.com/books_catalog/1-55860-442-1.asp

Sat, 11 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. New Book: PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE PRAGMATICS

2. New Book: PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE PRAGMATICS

3. New Book: PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE PRAGMATICS

4. New Book: Essentials of Programming Languages

5. New book: Types and Programming Languages

6. New book: Types and Programming Languages

7. New Book: Essentials of Programming Languages

8. A comparison of 3 new books on programming languages

9. New Book: Essentials of Programming Languages

10. Use a new language: Structured Programming Language

11. Information about new technology with new programming language .