must there be only one...? (was Re: Eiffel vs. Ada)
Author Message
 must there be only one...? (was Re: Eiffel vs. Ada)

>>What I object to is the common sentiment that "there can be
>>only one" and that "there should be only one" which is C/C++. Why not
>>5?  There is enough room in a trillion dollar global technology economy for
>>a few object oriented languages.

>I agree, but tell that to the many supervisors who are mandating C++
>only (including my own).

The problem is, while there surely is such room in "the global
technology economy", IS there such room within any specific firm?
Department?  Project?  Individual's head...?  I guess it depends
on the "size" of each of these:-).  For the individual, it also
strongly depends on the specific person -- some of us have
programming languages more or less as a HOBBY, so the prospect
of learning and using one more is positive and exciting, but
most are more focused on OTHER things, so that having to learn
and use TWO languages is twice as dreary as having to l&u ONE...

A sad sinergy here is that firms/depts/.../people thus look for
a single language to "fit ALL needs" -- which is inevitably
going to make for BIG languages, complex and intricated ones
(PL/I, Ada, C++, Common Lisp, Perl -- all qualify on the issue
of size! -- about Eiffel, I'm not quite sure).

Perhaps two -- even three -- simple and distinct SMALL languages,
able to "cooperate" properly along clean interfaces, would in fact
be quite a bit easier to learn and use than one LARGE one... but
people don't really grasp "language size/complexity" all that
well, and they get scared off by the "number" of languages.

Alex
--
DISCLAIMER: these are TOTALLY personal opinions and viewpoints, NOT connected
in any way with my employer, nor any other organization or individual!

CAD.LAB s.p.a., v. Ronzani 7/29, Casalecchio, Italia   Fax: +39 (51) 597120

Tue, 14 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. I am not deaf, but am I mute?

2. Am I the only one?

3. Java and Eiffel - Further comments: I am depressed.

4. Eiffel gripe (was Ada vs. Eiffel)

5. Eiffel gripe (was Ada vs. Eiffel)

6. Eiffel vs. Ada

7. [++] Re: Ada vs Eiffel

8. Ada vs. Eiffel

9. Eiffel vs. Ada

10. [++] Re: Ada vs Eiffel

11. Ada vs. Eiffel

12. I am new to LabVIEW and I am having the classic problem of...