Name-Equivalence vs what ever
Author Message
 Name-Equivalence vs what ever

Hi,
    I need information regarding something called name-equivalence, i
believe it has to do with scope and typing.  Are there any other such
things?  (I've heard of value-equivalence, via c.l.a. Modula 3 thingamy
bopper).

I would greatly appreciate any links to docs, etc.

Also i've recently got heavy on FP (it's in my course at uni), i was wanting
to have a look at lamda-calculus, any help here would be appreciated (it's
probably out of my depth, but that's never stopped me before).

Thanks,
Chris Campbell

Tue, 29 Jul 2003 05:57:04 GMT
 Name-Equivalence vs what ever

Quote:
> Hi,
>     I need information regarding something called name-equivalence, i
> believe it has to do with scope and typing.  Are there any other such
> things?  (I've heard of value-equivalence, via c.l.a. Modula 3 thingamy
> bopper).

It seems you are talking of structural vs. by name equivalence of types.
Suppose to types (let's use Ada syntax)

   type X is new Integer
   type Y is new Integer

Both are integral type. When we code an operation that involves these two
types, should they be treated as being the same type, thus allowing the
opertaion or not? Structuraly they are equivalent. But they have different
names. That's why Ada, Pascal etc. would not type check such an operation.
Usually languages use both kinds of equivalence, in different contexts.
Look for Luca Cardelli suvery papers on type theory for more on this.

Quote:

> Also i've recently got heavy on FP (it's in my course at uni), i was
wanting
> to have a look at lamda-calculus, any help here would be appreciated (it's
> probably out of my depth, but that's never stopped me before).

Uusually comp.lang.functional can is a good place to ask about lambda
calculus.

You fight also enjoy Lambd the Ultimate Weblog at http://lambda.weblogs.com
(Cardelli page was linked a few days ago, for example).

Ehud Lamm

Tue, 29 Jul 2003 06:39:44 GMT

1. Equivalence to Dummy argument name

2. f77->f90: use association vs. equivalence

3. Alias name vs. folderitem.name

4. file name vs. real name

5. I need a list of names of every computer language ever created

6. stdcall vs c vs cdecl vs pascal vs whosyerdaddy

7. 68K vs CFM68K vs Tk 8.0.3 vs AppearanceLib vs System 7

8. Ans Cross vs. GForth name collisions

9. Call-by-value vs. call-by-need/name

10. Title vs. Real Name - OS/2

11. Oberon: Name vs String