call by address (was Re: compilers and linkers)
Author Message
 call by address (was Re: compilers and linkers)

| > The [fortran II] language manual pointed out that using constants for
| > arguments that were assigned to was invalid.  They wised up when they
| > wrote Fortran IV.
|
| Dale, who are "they"?  Anyway, this is an *implementation* bug, not a
| design bug.

No, it's a design bug, since actually using the construction was
forbidden in FORTRAN II, the compiler wasn't required to handle it in
any decent way.

| The RT-11 FORTRAN IV compiler I used on LSI-11 systems as recently as
| 1982 (RT-11 v4? I'm not sure) still had this bug; I know, I tested it
| myself to see.  :-)

If the compiler claims to be FORTRAN *IV*, then it's an implementation
bug.

Dale
--

UUCP: ...!seismo!harvard!mit-eddie!culdev1!drw
If you get fed twice a day, how bad can life be?

Mon, 19 Apr 1993 15:26:00 GMT

1. call by address (was Re: compilers and linkers)

2. Call a REXX Exec and have it Address the calling program

3. I am looking for email address of Rodney W. Johnson

4. I am away, addresses for problems concerning APL94

5. Am I jumping to address 0x0?

6. Clipper compiler and Linker-HELP

7. Lost Compiler and Linker

8. Problems with Compiler and Linker Using Win95 with FAT32

9. NG compiler/linker

10. C editors, compilers, linkers

11. Pow! Compiler and linker interface DLLs

12. I need a COBOL compiler and linker!