New INTERCAL release -- 0.10
Author Message
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10

A new release of C-INTERCAL is now available for FTP at locke.ccil.org;
look for pub/esr/intercal-0.10.tar.gz.

This release fixes one long-standing bug in the compiler; it is now
possible to undo gerund abstentions with line number reinstatements,
and line-number abstentions with gerund reinstatements.

As contemplated in the 0.5 release notes, INTERCAL has been internationalized.
Input languages now supported include Nahuatl, Basque, Sanskrit, Tagalog,
Georgian, and Kwakiutl.
--
                                                        >>esr>>

Wed, 26 Feb 1997 03:13:37 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10

Quote:

>As contemplated in the 0.5 release notes, INTERCAL has been internationalized.
>Input languages now supported include Nahuatl, Basque, Sanskrit, Tagalog,
>Georgian, and Kwakiutl.

Out of curiousity why those? Aren't they well, sort of unpopular compared to
say Spanish or Chinese?

Wed, 26 Feb 1997 03:34:10 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10

Quote:
Eric Raymond writes:

|A new release of C-INTERCAL is now available for FTP at locke.ccil.org;
|look for pub/esr/intercal-0.10.tar.gz.
|
|This release fixes one long-standing bug in the compiler; it is now
|possible to undo gerund abstentions with line number reinstatements,
|and line-number abstentions with gerund reinstatements.

Excellent! This will finally make INTERCAL a truly powerful language. I
confidently predict that within five years INTERCAL will overtake C and
Lisp as the dominent language-of-choice of all true programmers everywhere.
Now if we can just get the DoD to reconsider...

|As contemplated in the 0.5 release notes, INTERCAL has been internationalized.
|Input languages now supported include Nahuatl, Basque, Sanskrit, Tagalog,
|Georgian, and Kwakiutl.

Arrgh!

If it doesn't support Mayan, Saxon, Axolotl or pig-Latin, what good is it?
--

"Inscrutable people tend to drink inscrutable beer." - Elizabeth of Windsor
World Wide Web alt.usenet.kooks archives: ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/crd/auk.html

Thu, 27 Feb 1997 01:11:31 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10

Quote:

wr
>ites:

>>> Out of curiousity why those? Aren't they well, sort of unpopular
>>> compared to say Spanish or Chinese?

>>You obviously haven't studied your Intercal manual.  The choice of
>>supported languages is in complete conformity with fundamental
>>design principle behind Intercal.  Given that Intercal programs are,
>>as nearly as I can tell, completely and deliberately unreadable,
>>support for languages which few people understand is a great idea.

>Yes-- after your response I downloaded C-Intercal and studied the
>manual over dinner. I may even actually try using it. My question is:
>Was Intercal really meant to be taken seriously at one time? Or was it
>from the start a prank?

    The mind boggles that that question would ever get asked...you read the
manual and *still* think it might have been *serious* at one time?

Trouble rather the|Schol-R-LEA;2        ____ |"I don't pray to the Zeitgeist,
tiger in his lair |Card Walloper        \bi/ | the Zeitgeist prays through
than the scholar  |CPU                   \/  | me! Ach, and what grotty
among his books   |Frankenstein's Destroyers | {*filter*} prayers they are!"

Thu, 27 Feb 1997 01:28:48 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10

Quote:

>>As contemplated in the 0.5 release notes, INTERCAL has been
>>internationalized.  Input languages now supported include Nahuatl,
>>Basque, Sanskrit, Tagalog, Georgian, and Kwakiutl.
> Out of curiousity why those? Aren't they well, sort of unpopular
> compared to say Spanish or Chinese?

You obviously haven't studied your Intercal manual.  The choice of
supported languages is in complete conformity with fundamental
design principle behind Intercal.  Given that Intercal programs are,
as nearly as I can tell, completely and deliberately unreadable,
support for languages which few people understand is a great idea.

                                Doug Jones

Wed, 26 Feb 1997 04:29:34 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10

Quote:
>> Out of curiousity why those? Aren't they well, sort of unpopular
>> compared to say Spanish or Chinese?
>You obviously haven't studied your Intercal manual.  The choice of
>supported languages is in complete conformity with fundamental
>design principle behind Intercal.  Given that Intercal programs are,
>as nearly as I can tell, completely and deliberately unreadable,
>support for languages which few people understand is a great idea.

Yes-- after your response I downloaded C-Intercal and studied the
manual over dinner. I may even actually try using it. My question is:
Was Intercal really meant to be taken seriously at one time? Or was it
from the start a prank?

Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:05:42 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10

Quote:
Jonathan Badger writes:

|Yes-- after your response I downloaded C-Intercal and studied the
|manual over dinner. I may even actually try using it. My question is:
|Was Intercal really meant to be taken seriously at one time? Or was it
|from the start a prank?

INTERCAL was IBM's early-70s attempt to take over the language market, as
distinguished from their mid-60s attempt, PL/I.

No, seriously, INTERCAL was a joke from the beginning. I should think
reading the manual would have made that obvious!
--

"Inscrutable people tend to drink inscrutable beer." - Elizabeth of Windsor
World Wide Web alt.usenet.kooks archives: ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/crd/auk.html
To receive the a.u.k FAQ, send me email with Subject: send alt.usenet.kooks faq

Thu, 27 Feb 1997 08:11:24 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10

Quote:
>This release fixes one long-standing bug in the compiler; it is now
>possible to undo gerund abstentions with line number reinstatements,
>and line-number abstentions with gerund reinstatements.

Oh yes, I think I pointed that one out initially. Great! This will
double the use I will make of the language, at least!

I haven't looked at the currently included docs yet, but once I
cleaned up the original punch card dump file. because it had a
few botched EBCDIC->ASCII conversions. Any interest in that one?

-Olaf.
--

\X/ I'm not weird, I'm differently percepted. D787B44DFC896063 4CBB95A5BD1DAA96

Thu, 27 Feb 1997 08:38:48 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10

Quote:

>A new release of C-INTERCAL is now available for FTP at locke.ccil.org;
>look for pub/esr/intercal-0.10.tar.gz.

>This release fixes one long-standing bug in the compiler; it is now
>possible to undo gerund abstentions with line number reinstatements,
>and line-number abstentions with gerund reinstatements.

Well - now that that is fixed, I'll have to seriously re-evaluate
Intercal for some of our projects.

I have heard, however, some worries about developing in a language
that has really only one implementation. Has anyone considered
writing an Intercal interpreter in Perl, for example ?

Quote:
>As contemplated in the 0.5 release notes, INTERCAL has been internationalized.
>Input languages now supported include Nahuatl, Basque, Sanskrit, Tagalog,
>Georgian, and Kwakiutl.
>--
>                                                    >>esr>>

Any plans for an Object-oriented extension to Intercal ?

( Perhaps abstentions could be used to implement "MOODY"
  Objects which has a state or MOOD, consisting of a list
  of messages they are currently ignoring, a list that they
  are avidly interested in, and a "Whatever!" list. ( The
  last would make them sort of like my daughter! ))

Or a GUI Library ?

( I only wish that Intercal-Windows could do that same for things for
  user interface design that it's done for structured programming!

-- UVA Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics --
-- Box 449 Health Science Center        C{*filter*}tesville,VA 22908 --
   [ "Cognitive Science is where Philosophy goes when it dies ...
        if it hasn't been good!" - Jerry Fodor  ]

Thu, 27 Feb 1997 11:20:49 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10

Quote:

>A new release of C-INTERCAL is now available for FTP at locke.ccil.org;
>look for pub/esr/intercal-0.10.tar.gz.

Being that the pervious release was 0.9 , shouldn't the current release
be version 0.8 ?   ( going from 0.9 to 0.1 is a *BIG* jump for the minor
changed announced to the implementation! But, even if they slipped on
the magnitude, they at least got the direction correct! )

-- UVA Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics --
-- Box 449 Health Science Center        C{*filter*}tesville,VA 22908 --
   [ "Cognitive Science is where Philosophy goes when it dies ...
        if it hasn't been good!" - Jerry Fodor  ]

Thu, 27 Feb 1997 11:36:18 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10
In line with Intercal's design goal of being so obscure as
to be practically unusable, might I suggest development of
a Windows version with access to the Windows API?

The combination of Intercal with the 1000+ functions in the
Windows API would produce a development environment of impressive
obscurity. I may even have to stop using C++ and the class
libraries, on the grounds of professional jealousy.

Bill Rayer

Thu, 27 Feb 1997 15:00:33 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10

Quote:
> Or a GUI Library ?

> ( I only wish that Intercal-Windows could do that same for things for
>   user interface design that it's done for structured programming!

Too late. Everybody else has already done this... Refer to the other
poster comparing Intercal to the microsuck windoze API. I wonder which
approach makes coming up with something that actually works harder...

Regards,

=====BEGIN FRACTAL-COMPRESSED SIGNATURE=====            |   Jan-Pieter Cornet

=====END FRACTAL-COMPRESSED SIGNATURE=====                                ;-)
My v2.6 decompressor (out soon!) will expand this to a 72 minutes MPEG movie!

Fri, 28 Feb 1997 07:28:06 GMT

 [ 199 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14]

 Relevant Pages

1. AdaOpenGL 0.10 released

2. Sybase module 0.10 released

3. elj library 0.1 beta release ..

4. ANNOUNCE: Sitereaper 0.1 released

5. ANNOUNCE: Dulcinea 0.1 released

6. OOPServer 0.1 Released

7. ANN: PyTables 0.1 released

8. RELEASE: Recodec 0.1

9. ANNOUNCE: Sancho 0.1 (unit testing framework) released

10. ANN: PySQLite 0.1 released

11. RELEASED: Anygui 0.1 (final)

12. PySSH 0.1 released