New INTERCAL release -- 0.10 (At Last!)
Author Message
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10 (At Last!)

: And the PILOT standard was updated just a couple of years ago...
:
: Horrifying, isn't it, how long these silly languages persist?

Hah.  You don't know the half of it.  My second retrocompiler, after
C-INTERCAL, was the reference implementation of IEEE pilot.  The
distribution, available for FTP at locke.ccil.org:pub/esr/pilot-1.6.tar.gz,
includes a paper on just why and how much the IEEE standard sucks moldy
maggot turds.
--
                                                >>esr>>

Sat, 01 Mar 1997 14:05:08 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10 (At Last!)

Quote:

>: If there is any one language INTERCAL should support, it is Klingon.
>What an unimpeachably brilliant idea!  Don't just sit there, send me a
>list of Klingon digit names.  Don't forget the zero.

It seems to me that INTERCAL should also support Lobjan, Loglan, or both.
There's nothing like completely incomprehensible alleged rationality to give
the right frisson to lunacy, yes?

A friend of mine also expresses an interest in cuneiform and/or hieroglyphic
I/O, should a Windows version ever be developed. He likes discipline in hiis
coding. (Not to mention {*filter*}.)
--
/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\

|   "An' besides you IS a rabbit." "Not a 'nothing-BUT-a-rabbit', tho'."  |
\-------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Sat, 01 Mar 1997 14:03:16 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10 (At Last!)
[...]

Quote:
>After reading Scott Forbes's suggestion that Klingon be added to the
>supported languages, I immediately realized that Volapuk support was
>the next logical step in the progression.

A further suggestion, if I may. I'd like to suggest that Lojban be
supported. At first sight, this may seem perverse, given that the aims
of Lojban include to be a regular and logical language. However, the
choice seems far more attractive when one considers that the period,
comma and apostrophe are all considered as letters in the Lojban
alphabet.

I.

Sat, 01 Mar 1997 21:47:45 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10 (At Last!)

Quote:

>Hah.  You don't know the half of it.  My second retrocompiler, after
>C-INTERCAL, was the reference implementation of IEEE pilot.  The
>distribution, available for FTP at locke.ccil.org:pub/esr/pilot-1.6.tar.gz,
>includes a paper on just why and how much the IEEE standard sucks moldy
>maggot turds.

Aw, cmon, Eric...you're being understated again. Don't hold back...tell us
what you REALLY think of it.
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can

              The US Constitution: 1789-1994. RIP.

Sat, 01 Mar 1997 21:58:15 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10 (At Last!)

Quote:
>: I haven't looked at the currently included docs yet, but once I
>: cleaned up the original punch card dump file. because it had a
>: few botched EBCDIC->ASCII conversions. Any interest in that one?

>Eh?  Dump file of what?  And where did you get it?

It was with the 0.6 release, I think. I noticed it wasn't present
anymore in the latest release. It looked like the most true copy
of the original documentation of the various copies that I've seen.

The file was a right-justified thing with fortran-style carriage
control characters (nicely suited for printing directly on IBM
iron, but not much else). I converted it to lpr-able format (with
backspaces and stuff).

-Olaf.
--

\X/ I'm not weird, I'm differently percepted. D787B44DFC896063 4CBB95A5BD1DAA96

Sat, 01 Mar 1997 22:14:09 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10 (At Last!)

Quote:

> |Eric Raymond writes:
> ||Input languages now supported include Nahuatl, Basque, Sanskrit, Tagalog,
> ||Georgian, and Kwakiutl.
> |
> |If it doesn't support Mayan, Saxon, Axolotl or pig-Latin, what good is it?

> If there is any one language INTERCAL should support, it is Klingon.

And it definitely should support Quenya and Sindarin too.

--

GCS/M d?(-+) -p+(-) c++ !l u++ e++(*) m+ s/-- !n h(*) f !g w+ t+(-) r+ y?

Sat, 01 Mar 1997 23:56:50 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10 (At Last!)

Quote:

>>> If it doesn't support Mayan, Saxon, Axolotl or pig-Latin, what good is it?

>> If there is any one language INTERCAL should support, it is Klingon.

> And it definitely should support Quenya and Sindarin too.

And don't forget Assyrian, Aramaic, ancient Egyptian (Old AND New kingdoms,
please) and, of course, Linear-B.

                                        smith

Sun, 02 Mar 1997 03:48:43 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10 (At Last!)
: It was with the 0.6 release, I think. I noticed it wasn't present
: anymore in the latest release. It looked like the most true copy
: of the original documentation of the various copies that I've seen.

Oh, that.

I removed it from the distribution because I thought it was redundant, given
Mike Ernst's TeX and ms versions.  If you know differently, tell me please.
--

Sun, 02 Mar 1997 05:51:23 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10 (At Last!)
: And it definitely should support Quenya and Sindarin too.

Digit list!  Digit list!
--

Sun, 02 Mar 1997 05:53:39 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10 (At Last!)

   |Eric Raymond writes:
   ||As contemplated in the 0.5 release notes, INTERCAL has been internationalized.
   ||Input languages now supported include Nahuatl, Basque, Sanskrit, Tagalog,
   ||Georgian, and Kwakiutl.
   |
   |Arrgh!
   |
   |If it doesn't support Mayan, Saxon, Axolotl or pig-Latin, what good is it?

   If there is any one language INTERCAL should support, it is Klingon.

Does the keyword PLEASE translate into Klingon?

- Dale
--
My employer's opinions are published     | Lernu paroli Esperanton!
elsewhere.  These opinions are strictly  |

Directory & Operator Services, 97 Humboldt St., Rochester, NY 14609

Sun, 02 Mar 1997 05:12:29 GMT
 New INTERCAL release -- 0.10 (At Last!)

Quote:

>    PLEASE EDIT <String> WITH <Script> WRITTEN-IN <Lang>
>    <Expr> = "any string"
>    <Script> = "a <Lang> script"
>    <Lang> = TECO | M4 | INTERCAL etc.

Given the internationalization efforts, <Lang> must be restricted to
similarly interesting languages. I would suggest at the very least
that Autocoder, Forth-77, TECO, and ADD ONE TO COBOL GIVING COBOL
be supported.
--
Peter da Silva                                            `-_-'
Network Management Technology Incorporated                 'U`

Sun, 02 Mar 1997 06:10:51 GMT

 [ 199 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14]