AIX vs. XWindows
Author Message
 AIX vs. XWindows

Just wondering. I heard that IBM's AIX is similar to UNIX. Is AIX easier to
use than XWindows? Or, do those two even compare?

--
Thanks!

  |   | ___  |    |  |    |  \   /   ************************************
| |   | __   | \  |  | \  |   \ /    * http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~chiquita *
|___  |____  |_ \__  |_ \__    |_    ************************************

Fri, 03 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 AIX vs. XWindows

Quote:
>Just wondering. I heard that IBM's AIX is similar to UNIX. Is AIX easier to

Heehehehehehe.  IBM would _love_ that comment.  AIX really is a Unix or tries
to be, although in some ways a twisted and strange one (and on off days, I
call it Unix like).  Of course, it has some very nice features as well,
like its logical volume stuff.

Quote:
>use than XWindows? Or, do those two even compare?

Aix runs X Windows.
(Of course, so does VMS ;-) )

--

Disclaimer:  It was in another country, and besides, the wench is dead.

Fri, 03 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 AIX vs. XWindows

Quote:

> Just wondering. I heard that IBM's AIX is similar to UNIX. Is AIX easier to
> use than XWindows? Or, do those two even compare?

AIX is [alledgedly] a port of BSD Unix... Although, having worked on it
FOR blue, I have my doubts about its durability. (I had had to reboot
my X-Station more times in my first month at IBM that I did in all of
the
eight months I worked on a Sparc!) You figure out the reliability
factors
here...

Most, if not all (at least I can't think of any) ports of Unix will run
X11R5, most by now are running X11R6.

Check out the website http://www.*-*-*.com/

They're the ones responsible for Motif - a superset of raw X.

Quote:

> --
> Thanks!

You're welcome... By the way, the "X Consortium" requests that it not be
called XWindowS, rather "The X Window System," "X11," or just plain "X"
.
They actually get quite huffy when confronted with this!!!

I guess the connotations towards the {*filter*} stuff from Redmond WA are
just too close if called Xwindows... X Is vastly superior to MS Win
API's.
There's a saying in the industry: "The Micro$oft API has done more to
retard skill development than COBOL maintenance."

--
Notice: The entire universe may someday collapse back into an
infinitely small space. Should another universe later emerge,

Sat, 04 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. sgi tcl/wishx vs. xwindows session

2. Xwindows vs. Tcl

3. AIX-Compiler vs. HP/UX-Compiler

4. telnetlib and NT vs. AIX

5. Extensions/tkinter/* vs Modules/tkinter* (was: Python 1.1 w/ tkinter for AIX)

6. Expect-5.0 vs AIX

7. stdcall vs c vs cdecl vs pascal vs whosyerdaddy

8. 68K vs CFM68K vs Tk 8.0.3 vs AppearanceLib vs System 7

9. Need help with executables compiled on AIX 4.3 but being run on AIX 3.2

10. Fortran Executable from AIX 3.1.2 used under AIX 4.1

11. AIX porting problem - cannot build libtcl8.3.so - Linux AIX Toolkit

12. tcl 8.0 load test fails on AIX 4.1.x and AIX 4.2.1