Self-reproduction or self-changing of Web pages
Author Message
 Self-reproduction or self-changing of Web pages

I have developed a method for reproducing an exactly same or slightly
different Web page as the original page, using a JavaScript program that
is included in the Web page. This method realizes self-reproduction of a
Web page. The detail is available from the paper in the November issue of
ACM SIGPLAN Notices, and from the paper of the Summer Symposium by
Information Processing Society of Japan. But, you can see the outline in
the following Web page:

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~kanada/reproduction/index-j.html

Self-reproduction of programs, that means that a program generates the same
output as its source program, is an old topic in programming. However, there
is no practical value in complete self-reproduction of a program. Complete
self-reproduction of a Web page seems to have no practical value too, but
incomplete self-reproduction can be used practically. For example, a
structured menu can be realized. A structured menu can also be realized by
the Dynamic HTML, but the method using self-reproduction is more flexible.

---
Dr. Yasusi Kanada
Multimedia Systems Dept., Central Research Laboratory, Hitachi Ltd.
Higashi-koigakubo 1-280, Kokubunji, Tokyo 185, Japan

---

Sat, 13 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Self-reproduction or self-changing of Web pages

Quote:

> Self-reproduction of programs, that means that a program generates the same
> output as its source program, is an old topic in programming. However, there
> is no practical value in complete self-reproduction of a program. Complete
> self-reproduction of a Web page seems to have no practical value too, but
> incomplete self-reproduction can be used practically. For example, a
> structured menu can be realized. A structured menu can also be realized by
> the Dynamic HTML, but the method using self-reproduction is more flexible.

On the contrary, yours is one of the few practical uses of such self
reproducing programs, since it can be used in conjunction with a
javascript "mailer" (a small piece of javascript that prompts the user
to press a button, and then goes ahead and mails, say, a mailing list or
news group).  When combinded in this way, and when the HTML is embedded
in HTML mail or a usenet posting, not a web page, you have created a
"javascript mailing-list/usenet worm".

Now, as to whether a worm has practical value, well ...

Gary
--

Key fingerprint =  0C FB 60 61 4D 3B 24 7D  1C 89 1D BE 1F EE 09 06

Sat, 13 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Self-reproduction or self-changing of Web pages

Quote:

> But, you can see the outline in
> the following Web page:

> http://www.st.rim.or.jp/~kanada/reproduction/index-j.html

Several important links in the above page was broken in November 25.
I have corrected them, although there are several minor links that
has not yet corrected.  I am sorry for your inconvenience if you
have accessed the page.  I will correct other links tonight.

---
Yasusi Kanada, Ph.D,  WWW: http://www.st.rim.or.jp/~kanada/

Multi-Media Systems Research Dept., Central Research Lab., Hitachi Ltd.
Kokubunji, Tokyo 185-8601, Japan
Phone: +81-423-23-1111 (key), Fax: +81-423-27-7721
---

Sun, 14 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Self-reproduction or self-changing of Web pages

2. Self-reproduction or self-change of Web page

3. Self-reproduction

4. self-replicating-code, self-replicating-messages

5. i-net page on self-modified code

6. The Quine Page -- self-rep programs

7. The Quine Page -- self-rep programs

8. UserList.__getslice__(): copy.copy(self.data) vs. self.__class__(self.data).

9. App changed by it self

10. app changed by it self

11. Changing Self

12. self changed: in Value Model