What language is the right one for me?
Author Message
 What language is the right one for me?

Hello,

I'd like to write a few little programs for Windows but I haven't programmed
for years. My experience is:
- on C64: Basic and 6502 assembler
- on Amiga: AmigaBasic and 68000 assembler
- on Apple II/Atari ST/Amiga: Turbo Pascal
- today: HTML 4.0

What programming language would you recommend? C++ or Visual Basic? (or even
Turbo Pascal, Delphi, Cobol...)
And which editor/compiler should I use?

Thanks for your help.

Greetings,

Constantin
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~umkr/

Sun, 03 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What language is the right one for me?

Quote:
>Hello,

>I'd like to write a few little programs for Windows but I haven't programmed
>for years. My experience is:
>- on C64: Basic and 6502 assembler
>- on Amiga: AmigaBasic and 68000 assembler
>- on Apple II/Atari ST/Amiga: Turbo Pascal
>- today: HTML 4.0

>What programming language would you recommend?
>C++

        I've watched people struggle to get "simple" programs to work.

Quote:
> or Visual Basic?

        Fine, as far as it goes. No great worries about data types, etc.
        Quite possibly just what you want.

Quote:
> (or even
>Turbo Pascal,

        Why bother with this, when you can have:

Quote:
> Delphi,

        My personal favourite at the moment.

Quote:
> Cobol...

        Why would you want to use this?

Quote:
>)
>And which editor/compiler should I use?

        Well, whatever comes as integrated, but I also use TextPad.

(Whatever happened to Java?)
--
Laurence W Reeves

Sun, 03 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What language is the right one for me?

Quote:
>What programming language would you recommend?

For what application?

I like Tcl/Tk. That way my programs will run on UNIX and MacOS as well. Plus
my programs handle window resizing correctly where Visual Basic things tend
to create annoying fixed sized windows you can't fiddle with.

Quote:
>And which editor/compiler should I use?

Any text editor you like. I've been using gvim lately, it's OK.

--

 `-_-'   Ar rug t barrg ar do mhactre inniu?
  'U`    << <KH> you did technical support for Hell ?

Tue, 05 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What language is the right one for me?

Quote:
> Hello,

> I'd like to write a few little programs for Windows but I haven't programmed
> for years. My experience is:
> - on C64: Basic and 6502 assembler
> - on Amiga: AmigaBasic and 68000 assembler
> - on Apple II/Atari ST/Amiga: Turbo Pascal
> - today: HTML 4.0

> What programming language would you recommend? C++ or Visual Basic? (or even
> Turbo Pascal, Delphi, Cobol...)
> And which editor/compiler should I use?

I'd recommend Algol 68 using the OCCL compiler. Send enquiries to

The same compiler is available on Windows 95, Windows NT, OS/2, Sun Sparc,
RiscOS, Transputer T8000/T9000 and Linux.

However, I ought to warn you: I'm biased. I wrote the language book.

Algol 68 is a high-level language with low-level capability. Far more powerful
than Visual Basic and much more reliable than C++. The OCCL compiler provides
modular compilation, parallel programming, mixed-language programming (so you
can access the Windows APIs) and far greater orthogonality, thereby ensuring
a much faster learning curve.

I'd welcome any comments you may have on the compiler and/or the book.
--
Sian Leitch

Are you one of the lucky people who has prepared for Y2K?
Or is your head still in the sand?

Wed, 06 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What language is the right one for me?

Quote:
> What programming language would you recommend?

Having seen similar questions in the past, I have written a web page
on the subject:

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~stig/where-to-start.html

Stig Hemmer,
Jack of a Few Trades.

PS: Comments on the page appreciated, both from newbies and oldbies.

Thu, 07 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What language is the right one for me?

: What programming language would you recommend? C++ or Visual Basic? (or even
: Turbo Pascal, Delphi, Cobol...)
: And which editor/compiler should I use?
Use perl and vim as editor.

bye Steffen
:
:
:

Fri, 08 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What language is the right one for me?

(snip)
Quote:
>I like Tcl/Tk. That way my programs will run on UNIX and MacOS as well. Plus

(snip)

I guess Perl/Tk is also a pretty portable combination, then, between
Win32, UNIX and MacOS? I've been looking for some way to develop
software that does GUI and network things such that it doesn't have to
be completely rewritten for one of those general families. As the
programs may be sold commercially, there are also problems in
generating standalone versions that haven't caught GPL or similar...

Ah well.

-- Mark

Fri, 08 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What language is the right one for me?

Hi,

I would recommend python - it is a simple language (there's not
many different ways of writing the same thing, which makes it easy
to remember), it was designed to be a language that is easy to
learn, it includes "modern" ideas about computer languages
(objects, first class functions), it comes with its own editor (if
you want to use it), it is in widespread use (it's not a toy language,
depite it's suitability for beginners), it is interpreted (no need to
wait for compilation), has a good range of libraries, and it has good
support.  More info at the www.python.org site and the comp.lang.python
newsgroup.

Perl is a language that is seen as a competitor to Python, and
posts like this can result in flames.  My personal feeling is that
Perl is better if you already know a lot of Unix commands or want
to do lots of file manipulation, but Python is a better language
to learn (it goes out of its way to teach you new ideas, while Perl
will let you do anything - more that Python in some ways - but only
if you already know what you are doing, and in your case you probably
want to be learning about Object-Oriented programming).

However, if performance is *crucial* (ie large calculations) then you
should be looking elsewhere (I would suggest a compiled Lisp, but
that's a pretty wild suggestion...)

Good luck,
Andrew
http://www.andrewcooke.free-online.co.uk/index.html

PS I've just written
http://www.andrewcooke.free-online.co.uk/andrew/lang.html which
describes features of many languages and I just found the following
link (maybe on this thread, in which case you may have seen it)
which is very good: http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~stig/where-to-start.html

Quote:
> Hello,

> I'd like to write a few little programs for Windows but I haven't
programmed
> for years. My experience is:
> - on C64: Basic and 6502 assembler
> - on Amiga: AmigaBasic and 68000 assembler
> - on Apple II/Atari ST/Amiga: Turbo Pascal
> - today: HTML 4.0

> What programming language would you recommend? C++ or Visual Basic?
(or even
> Turbo Pascal, Delphi, Cobol...)
> And which editor/compiler should I use?

> Thanks for your help.

> Greetings,

> Constantin
> http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~umkr/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Fri, 08 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What language is the right one for me?

Quote:

>>I like Tcl/Tk. That way my programs will run on UNIX and MacOS as well. Plus
>I guess Perl/Tk is also a pretty portable combination, then, between
>Win32, UNIX and MacOS?

I don't know. I don't use Perl/Tk, and I don't know which version of Tk it's
based on, or whether that version has been ported as widely. Someone else will
have to answer that.

Quote:
>I've been looking for some way to develop
>software that does GUI and network things such that it doesn't have to
>be completely rewritten for one of those general families. As the
>programs may be sold commercially, there are also problems in
>generating standalone versions that haven't caught GPL or similar...

Tcl/Tk isn't GPLed. Perl's "Artistic License", IIRC, allows for commercial
use too.

--

 `-_-'   Ar rug t barrg ar do mhactre inniu?
  'U`    << <KH> you did technical support for Hell ?
            <susan> Didn't we all, in our youth? >:) >>

Fri, 08 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What language is the right one for me?

Quote:

(snip)
>>I guess Perl/Tk is also a pretty portable combination, then, between
>>Win32, UNIX and MacOS?

>I don't know. I don't use Perl/Tk, and I don't know which version of Tk it's
>based on, or whether that version has been ported as widely. Someone else will
>have to answer that.

Not too widely AFAIK - I was thinking of maybe interfacing Perl with
Tcl/Tk. Have tried to raise the general point on one of the Mac
groups, anyway - after all, if it's a portable language that works on
the Mac, it's probably available on Win32 and Linux. (-:

(snip)

Quote:
>Tcl/Tk isn't GPLed. Perl's "Artistic License", IIRC, allows for commercial
>use too.

Wonderful!! (-:

Thanks very much.

-- Mark

Sat, 09 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What language is the right one for me?
On Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:56:08 GMT, Andrew Cooke

Quote:

>However, if performance is *crucial* (ie large calculations) then you
>should be looking elsewhere (I would suggest a compiled Lisp, but
>that's a pretty wild suggestion...)

I would suggest Dylan.  Dylan is sort of a modern version of Lisp.  It
has almost everything the Lisp family of languages has (with the
exception of code-as-data) such as first class functions, closures,
dynamic typing, automatic memory management, multi-methods, macros,
etc. etc.  But it also has an easier  to learn, more streamlined
design, a familiar (to non-lispers) C-like syntax, is object-oriented
all the way through (unlike Java or Common Lisp, which distinguish
between less efficient "real" objects and more efficient
pseudo-objects), and allows efficient compilation competitive with C.

Check out http://www.dylanworld.com/dylan_links.html, or listen in on
comp.lang.dylan.

Of course if code-as-data is crucial to your application, then Lisp is
the only way to go!

Gail Zacharias
gz -at- harlequin.com

Mon, 11 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What language is the right one for me?

Quote:

> I would suggest Dylan.  Dylan is sort of a modern version of Lisp.  It
> has almost everything the Lisp family of languages has (with the
> exception of code-as-data)

This is perhaps the second most important thing that Lisp has to
offer the programmer, after interactivity.

Quote:
> Of course if code-as-data is crucial to your application, then Lisp is
> the only way to go!

The best way to go, but not the only way.   Prolog also has code
as data to the same extent that Lisp does.

Quote:

--
Le Hibou (ma propre opinion) Remove Dutch for "no spam" when replying.
 "it is really very simple.  functional programming means that

Mon, 18 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What language is the right one for me?

Quote:

>> I would suggest Dylan.  Dylan is sort of a modern version of Lisp.  It
>> has almost everything the Lisp family of languages has (with the
>> exception of code-as-data)

>This is perhaps the second most important thing that Lisp has to
>offer the programmer, after interactivity.

I guess important is in the eye of beholder.  If code-as-data is what
you need, then it's important.  I've been programming in Lisp
professionally for twenty years, and I've only really needed
code-as-data in maybe a couple of instances, all  involving
implementing other languages or programming environments on top of
Lisp.  I've found other features, such as first class functions and
classes, dynamic typing, automatic memory management, multi-methods,
etc. much more important  in work-a-day Lisp programming.

Note that Dylan does have macros, which is where a typical Lisp
programmer is most likely to encounter programmatic source code
manipulation (Dylan macros are pattern-based).  And it does have
closures, which are often the more sophisticated (or at least more
efficient) replacement for more naive code-as-data usage in
prototypes.

---

Gail Zacharias
gz -at- harlequin.com

Mon, 18 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. VO my understanding,am I right?

2. Am I Right?

3. Am I on the right track?

4. Am I on the right track?

5. Reverse Engineering Continued (Am I on the right track)

6. Am I on the right track?

7. Am I right?

8. Canvas: Am I headed in the right direction?

9. which awk is the right one?

10. What FORTH is the right one now?

11. Am I the only one?

12. Which Language is right for the job?