Macros/Interpreters
Author Message
 Macros/Interpreters

Hi folks,

I am interested in finding out about interpreters (or macro languages)
that can stand alone, or be embedded in another product. I currently
use C under Windows for image processing applications, the
edit-compile-link cycle is not the best way of prototyping applications
and I'd like a development enviroment that can be used for
interactively, calling underlying libraries or DLL's. The prototypes
could then be compiled up if neccessary. I think this would be really
useful, unfortunately I haven't the faintest idea where to look or how
to start!

Does anyone have any ideas about the least painful way to construct
interpreters or script readers, or are there current systems that can be
bent to this task. Pointers to software, books or a good psychiatrist :)
would all be welcome.

Thanks,

--
Andy Hunt

Mon, 02 Jun 1997 15:59:38 GMT
 Macros/Interpreters

Quote:

> Hi folks,

> I am interested in finding out about interpreters (or macro
languages)
> that can stand alone, or be embedded in another product. I currently
> use C under Windows for image processing applications, the
> edit-compile-link cycle is not the best way of prototyping
applications
> and I'd like a development enviroment that can be used for
> interactively, calling underlying libraries or DLL's. The prototypes
> could then be compiled up if neccessary. I think this would be
really
> useful, unfortunately I haven't the faintest idea where to look or
how
> to start!

> Does anyone have any ideas about the least painful way to construct
> interpreters or script readers, or are there current systems that
can be
> bent to this task. Pointers to software, books or a good
psychiatrist :)
> would all be welcome.

> Thanks,

> --
> Andy Hunt

We have a Pascal-like script language product called PASTERP that
seems to fit your description.

E-mail me for more information.

Ron.
--

Tue, 03 Jun 1997 02:02:13 GMT
 Macros/Interpreters

: Does anyone have any ideas about the least painful way to construct
: interpreters or script readers, or are there current systems that can be
: bent to this task. Pointers to software, books or a good psychiatrist :)
: would all be welcome.

There are several languages that already want to do this for you.
The major contenders are python, tcl, scheme (via Elk, etc), and the
controversial (and still vaprous) GUILE. Check the apropriate newsgroups
for FAQs to see which one you like best...

Also, you might check out:

-- SLang, a C-like language designed to be embedded (I think there's an
   alt.slang newsgroup).
-- IVY, a little known langauge that can be found in alt.sources archives.
-- The list of Free Compilers, Interpreters, and What Have You (often posted
   to comp.lang.misc, and available on the web or from
   ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/comp.lang.misc/ ).

Hope this helps...  Please don't ask which one is the best :-) .  -- Tim
--

Tue, 03 Jun 1997 02:39:10 GMT
 Macros/Interpreters

Quote:

> Hi folks,

> I am interested in finding out about interpreters (or macro languages)
> that can stand alone, or be embedded in another product. I currently
> use C under Windows for image processing applications, the
> edit-compile-link cycle is not the best way of prototyping applications
> and I'd like a development enviroment that can be used for
> interactively, calling underlying libraries or DLL's. The prototypes
> could then be compiled up if neccessary. I think this would be really
> useful, unfortunately I haven't the faintest idea where to look or how
> to start!

> Does anyone have any ideas about the least painful way to construct
> interpreters or script readers, or are there current systems that can be
> bent to this task. Pointers to software, books or a good psychiatrist :)
> would all be welcome.

> Thanks,

> --
> Andy Hunt

Get the (rather inexpensive) book "Write your own programming language
in C++" by Norman Smith (comes with disk). The language he does is
Forth-like, but he discusses how to do anything you like.
--
Julian V. Noble

Tue, 03 Jun 1997 07:36:38 GMT
 Macros/Interpreters
Where is the list of embeddable languages and interpreters kept?

Thanks,

---

#include <canonical.disclaimer>   // I speak only for myself, etc.

Tue, 03 Jun 1997 08:55:08 GMT

1. looking for interpreter / macro language facility

2. looking for interpreter / macro language facility

3. Python interpreter as a macro language

4. Macros in Python, and using reg exps to build a scheme interpreter

5. Macros in Python, and using reg exps to build a scheme interpreter

6. A macro involving two sub-macros - where the 2nd macro needs results from the first

7. macro -vs- macro/codeblock

8. Help with macros writing macros in Bigloo

9. syntax-rules macros with sub-macros

10. Scheme macro source: rewriter-widget, a widely applicable macro interface

11. Macros defining macros with define-syntax

12. symbol-macros and regular macros