Java vs. Smalltalk vs. C++ vs. OO COBOL
Author Message
 Java vs. Smalltalk vs. C++ vs. OO COBOL

: But in mechanical industries there's none of this widespread fear to
: 'upgrade to' power lathes when they're necessary.  Nobody puts forth
: idiotic arguments like "fumblefingers can't saw anything right no
: matter if it's a power saw or hand saw" and go on to erroneously think
: that it doesn't matter to their own professional carpenters.  (Of course
: you can point out how our neandertal ancestors used but sharpened stones
: and hand saws are a big improvement, but that isn't considered relevant.)

Right I agree with your thrust, but sometimes the job demands hand tools.
Though circumstances where only hand tools can do the job are fewer than
where power tools can be used.  Also, the working environment can can make
hand tools more palatable for wider use.

Elliott

Fri, 18 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Java vs. Smalltalk vs. C++ vs. OO COBOL

Quote:

> They don't believe that it will be an enormous expense for "training"
> carpenters on power saws and whine "how will we ever find power-saw-trained
> carpeneters??", not realizing that their experience in building houses which
> stay up and look good is a hell of a lot more important than the ability to
> use a power saw, which most can pick up fairly easily.

Notwithstanding which, the guy who added a room to our house
did manage to fasten his hand to a fater with a power nailer.
Fortunately, the nail didn't hit any bones or nerves.
--
                                --Andrew Koenig

Sat, 19 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Cellular automata benchmarks: Java vs C++ vs Java vs C++

2. Java vs. Smalltalk vs. C++ vs. OO COBOL

3. Lisp vs Java vs C++ vs...

4. ST vs Java vs ST vs ....

5. need info on C++ vs Object Pascal vs Objective C vs etc

6. Fortran 77 vs Fortran90 vs C vs C++

7. Ada vs C++ vs Java

8. Java vs. Smalltalk vs. C++ vs. OO CO

9. stdcall vs c vs cdecl vs pascal vs whosyerdaddy

10. 68K vs CFM68K vs Tk 8.0.3 vs AppearanceLib vs System 7

11. Objectiv-C vs C++ vs Smalltalk

12. Objectiv-C vs C++ vs Smalltalk