My thanks to everyone who replied to my original posting asking for a
small, public-domain language (and my apologies to all those who've been
annoyed by the follow-up discussion on the merits (or otherwise) of
fortran, C++, etc.).

The most-suggested language was Scheme; the two implementations most
often suggested were SIOD (Scheme In One Defun), written by George

available from a variety of FTP sites (e.g. altdorf.ai.mit.edu);
however, most of the FTP'd versions of SIOD are V2.3, not the latest
V2.8; that can be had from world.std.com in /src/lisp/siod-v2.8-shar.
SIOD is about 4000 lines, SCM more than twice that, so I have decided to
go with SIOD, even though it lacks objects (I am told that there are
several OO libraries for Scheme, and I will try to pick up one of
these.) My particular thanks to Brent W. Benson for his help.

Several other suggestions included:

* several PD versions of Forth
* some PD Logo's
* Sather (an Eiffel-like language whose interpreter is PD)

In addition, Norm Smith has written "Write Your Own Programming Language
Using C++", which describes the implementation of a simple Forth-like
language, while Samuel Kamin wrote "Programming Languages: An
Interpreter-Based Approach", which presents a small Scheme interpreter
and then modifies it to handle APL, Smalltalk, Prolog, and others.

ready-to-embed languages, for which I am very grateful.

Thanks once again,

  Gregory V. Wilson                    ||  For in much wisdom is much
  Technical Coordinator                ||  grief; and he that increaseth
  Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre  ||  knowledge, increaseth sorrow.

Thu, 09 Feb 1995 18:13:35 GMT

1. Summary: Small Language Wanted

2. Summary: Small Language Wanted

3. Summary: Small Language Wanted

4. Wanted: small meta-data language

5. Small Language Wanted

6. Scientists as Programmers (was Re: Small Language Wanted)

7. Small Language Wanted

8. SUMMARY - Wanted: Technical term for a programming language concept

9. Small Language Wanted

10. Language summary wanted

11. Scientists as Programmers (was Re: Small Language Wanted)

12. Small Language Wanted