UI = forth + C ???
Author Message
 UI = forth + C ???

Sometime ago I ran across an embedded forth(like) language that could be
called by a C program. The intent was to write a user-interface in forth
that could be extended by the user at runtime.

Unfortunately I've misplaced my reference to it. If you have any info on
this I would be grateful for a post or reply email.

Thanks,

MACH Products                             Phone: (512) 602-2143
Advanced Micro Devices                    WATS:  1-800-538-8450, ext 52143

Mon, 20 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 UI = forth + C ???
This is not the reference you are looking for but may be you can uys the idea:
In our company we wrote an interface between FORTH and C/C++ modules for a C40
target system. Modules can use each other. The implementation is using a string
interface. That means every module has a list of import function names and a
list of export function names. During initialisation references are resolved.
 Graphikon GmbH | WWW: http://www.graphikon.com |                "
 Mandelstr. 16  | FAX: ++49 +30 42104 -750      | NAME:  Thomas Hohenleitner

Tue, 21 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 UI = forth + C ???

Quote:

> Sometime ago I ran across an embedded forth(like) language that could be
> called by a C program. The intent was to write a user-interface in forth
> that could be extended by the user at runtime.

> Unfortunately I've misplaced my reference to it. If you have any info on
> this I would be grateful for a post or reply email.

The forth(like) language you mention could be UNTIL.  Look at
http://www.taygeta.com/forth.html for the following entry;

 Norman Smith's UNTIL V2.5,
              the UNconventional Threaded Interpretative Language

I looked at it a while back, and it definitly shows promise.

Tom Zimmer

Tue, 21 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 UI = forth + C ???

& >
&
& The forth(like) language you mention could be UNTIL.  Look at
& http://www.taygeta.com/forth.html for the following entry;
&
&  Norman Smith's UNTIL V2.5,
&               the UNconventional Threaded Interpretative Language
&
& I looked at it a while back, and it definitly shows promise.
&
& Tom Zimmer

Either that or "slang" (stack language), by J. Davis. This is the
macro language for the "jed" editor, but can also be used
independently. It has 2 syntaxes; you can use RPN syntax or
something C-like. It is bigger than Until. Until  is just
integers, Slang has floating point and strings too.

G.

--
glauber ribeiro

-------------------------
blue is a color; brick is a solid; bend is a verb

Fri, 24 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 UI = forth + C ???

Quote:
> Sometime ago I ran across an embedded forth(like) language that could be
> called by a C program. The intent was to write a user-interface in forth
> that could be extended by the user at runtime.

I wrote an interface to call F-PC from other languages.

It is now tested about four years with calls from PC-Forth-Plus (LMI).
It is also (rarely) tested with calls from Microsoft Quickbasic 4.5. This
part of the mixed language interface may be used as a sample for calls
from Microsoft C. The Microsoft Compilers are well documented for use in
mixed language projects.

If you are intersted, I may email it to you. I also brought it on the way
to Tom Zimmer, but it didn't reach the final F-PC-release.

- Claus -

## CrossPoint v3.02 ##

Sat, 25 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Looking for SmallTalk UI Regression Tester (Whether to test the UI)

2. LV6 UI slower than LV5 UI???

3. UI = forth + C ???

4. CS people in Forth?

5. CS People in Forth?

6. Forth in CS

7. Believe or not, Forth in CS!

8. Forth and CS

9. Where does FORTH belong in CS and Academia?

11. What's Forth good for...Was: CS people in Forth?

12. Getting Forth related files (was: Forth primer/teaching Forth)