Introduction to object-oriented programming?
Author Message
 Introduction to object-oriented programming?

Quote:

>Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++,comp.lang.misc,comp.sys.mac.programmer,comp.sys.mac.programmer.help,comp.sys.newton.misc,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.books.marketplace
>Subject: Re: Introduction to object-oriented programming?

>Date: 17 Dec 1994 16:16:16 GMT

>>Hello --

>>I am looking for a good introduction to basic principles of object oriented
>>programming languages such as C++ for a friend of mine.

>>Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

>Purchase a copy of the following book:

>"Object-Oriented Analysis And Design, With Applications" 2nd edition
>Grady Booch, Author
>The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Co., Inc.
>ISBN # 0-8053-5340-2

>--
>Rick Stanley                         |              RSI

>Information Technologies Institute   |        C++ & C Language
>New York University   NYC, NY  USA   | Programming, Training, Consulting

Also consider the original "Smalltalk-80:  the language and its
implementation" (Golberg & Robson, Addison Wesley) as supplementary
literature  -  this book was my introduction to OOP, and it's great: much
info, discussion of the Smalltalk app framework, and historical interest.

For a main text, consider the Eiffel book:  it's very clear, very lucid,
and covers high-level ideas and design issues as well as practical
techniques and the language support.  But what was the name of the book?

Thu, 05 Jun 1997 13:58:58 GMT
 Introduction to object-oriented programming?
Hello --

I am looking for a good introduction to basic principles of object oriented
programming languages such as C++ for a friend of mine.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Best
-- Chris

--
I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing
than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance

Wed, 04 Jun 1997 15:03:05 GMT
 Introduction to object-oriented programming?

Quote:
>I am looking for a good introduction to basic principles of object oriented
>programming languages such as C++ for a friend of mine.
>Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

        There's the famous "What is" paper by Bjarne:

                Stroustrup, Bjarne.  "What is Object-Oriented
                        Programming?"  IEEE Software, vol. 5, May 1988,
                        pp. 10-20.

        The beginning of The C++ Programming Language also has a nice
        explanation as well as a comparison with other methodologies.

        For a more general intorduction, there's also a book by Timothy
        Budd -- blue book with a platypus on the cover...can't remember
        the name.  Hopefully, somebody out there in net-land will know.
--
        - Paul J. Lucas
          AT&T Bell Laboratories

Wed, 04 Jun 1997 20:32:33 GMT
 Introduction to object-oriented programming?

Quote:

>Hello --
>I am looking for a good introduction to basic principles of object oriented
>programming languages such as C++ for a friend of mine.
>Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Purchase a copy of the following book:

"Object-Oriented Analysis And Design, With Applications" 2nd edition
Grady Booch, Author
The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Co., Inc.
ISBN # 0-8053-5340-2

--
Rick Stanley                         |              RSI

Information Technologies Institute   |        C++ & C Language
New York University   NYC, NY  USA   | Programming, Training, Consulting

Thu, 05 Jun 1997 00:16:16 GMT
 Introduction to object-oriented programming?

Quote:

>For a main text, consider the Eiffel book:  it's very clear, very lucid,
>and covers high-level ideas and design issues as well as practical
>techniques and the language support.  But what was the name of the book?

Well there's two...

"Object Oriented Software Construction"

...and...

"Eiffel: The Language"

... both by Betrand Meyer.  Both are very good IMHO.
--
Quinn "The Eskimo!"                   "Ah ha, the carnage begins!"

Fri, 06 Jun 1997 11:47:40 GMT
 Introduction to object-oriented programming?

| Purchase a copy of the following book:
|
| "Object-Oriented Analysis And Design, With Applications" 2nd edition
| Grady Booch, Author
| The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Co., Inc.
| ISBN # 0-8053-5340-2

I second this motion; this book tends to be the definitive
introductory text to object-oriented programming methodologies. One of
the key strengths of this book is the fact that it takes into
consideration a significant number of the object-oriented styles that
historically have been significant.

Brian Mancuso

| "Computation is the art of carefully throwing away information." |
                        | Boston University Computer Science Dept. |

                        | Pgp Public Key Avail. Member of the LPF. |

Fri, 06 Jun 1997 06:25:49 GMT
 Introduction to object-oriented programming?

Quote:

>Hello --

>I am looking for a good introduction to basic principles of object oriented
>programming languages such as C++ for a friend of mine.

>Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

A book I like is "Object oriented programming - An evolutionary
approach" by Cox and Novbilsky.  It centers around objective C (the
authors are/were principals of Stepstone) but it is applicable to any
OO language.  It is not a book for beginning programmers, however.  It
is pretty in-depth.

Also, Grady Booch has a book that everyone seems to like (the title
escapes me, I don't own it).

Good luck,

--

                   Windows '95 == Macintosh '84

Thu, 05 Jun 1997 10:09:14 GMT
 Introduction to object-oriented programming?

Quote:

>>Hello --

>>I am looking for a good introduction to basic principles of object oriented
>>programming languages such as C++ for a friend of mine.

>>Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

>A book I like is "Object oriented programming - An evolutionary
>approach" by Cox and Novbilsky.  It centers around objective C (the
>authors are/were principals of Stepstone) but it is applicable to any
>OO language.  It is not a book for beginning programmers, however.  It
>is pretty in-depth.

A basic yet excellent introduction to OO (using Smalltalk to illustrate the
principles as explained) is:
Concpts of Object-Oriented Programming by David N. Smith, McGraw-Hill, Inc.
1991. ISBN - 0-07-059177-6. I read this when I was thinking about learning
to program, before I had ever even attempted to write a line of code. It helped
convince me that this would be fun. Although I'm still a neophyte, and couldn't
_yet_ find the errors in most posted code, I can say you'll enjoy this book &&
get lot's out of it.
btw, the programmer who recommended it to me has been a smalltalker for about
12 years and he used it for a class he taught to newbies.

Moreover, to all the wizards out there who donate their time to help us
learn && enable us to "stand on the shoulders of those who came before"
                Happy Holidays To ALL!!
Cheers,
gary

Thu, 05 Jun 1997 11:21:19 GMT
 Introduction to object-oriented programming?

Quote:

>: Hello --
>: I am looking for a good introduction to basic principles of object oriented
>: programming languages such as C++ for a friend of mine.
>: Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

  I just bought the book titled "Design Patterns" by Gamma et.el,
  it categorized certain OOD ideas and explained them using concerete examples.
  I dislike the so called "OO methodology"s, but like this book.
  "OOP should be a pratical discipline".

  D. Yue

Sat, 07 Jun 1997 06:17:09 GMT
 Introduction to object-oriented programming?

   >Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
>   "Object-Oriented Analysis And Design, With Applications" 2nd edition
>   Grady Booch, Author
>   The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Co., Inc.
>   ISBN # 0-8053-5340-2

        I was also going to recommend that book, so I will just
        second this vote. I just purchased the book, and have gone
        through a bit of it, and it seems pretty comprehensive. It
        is also very easy to understand, as Grady gives lots of
        understandable analogies for key OOD principles and iteas.

        --tOm

--
/---------------------------------------------------------------------/
\                                                                     \

/                                                                     /
\---------------------------------------------------------------------\

Sun, 08 Jun 1997 04:11:31 GMT
 Introduction to object-oriented programming?

Quote:

> Hello --

> I am looking for a good introduction to basic principles of object oriented
> programming languages such as C++ for a friend of mine.

> Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

> Best
> -- Chris

> --
> I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing
> than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance

Suggestion: "OOP" P. Coad & J.Nicola,
 Yourdon Press Computing Series, 1993

Sun, 08 Jun 1997 18:18:01 GMT
 Introduction to object-oriented programming?
: Hello --

: I am looking for a good introduction to basic principles of object oriented
: programming languages such as C++ for a friend of mine.

: Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

: Best
: -- Chris

: --
: I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing
: than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance

--
        I'm learning c++/oop with "Simple C++" by Jeffrey M. Cogswell
(ISBN #1-878739-44-1).

    __///////\   The Church of Digital Splendor   /\\\\\\\__
      \\\\\\\/  http://www.mcs.com/~jim/cds.html  \///////
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wed, 04 Jun 1997 22:17:31 GMT
 Introduction to object-oriented programming?
try this one out too:

   http://info.desy.de/gna/html/cc/index.html

Quote:

> Hello --

> I am looking for a good introduction to basic principles of object oriented
> programming languages such as C++ for a friend of mine.

> Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

   http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~bwade/

Sat, 07 Jun 1997 09:56:11 GMT

1. Introduction object-oriented programming

2. Introduction object-oriented programming

3. ANNOUNCEMENT: Object-Oriented Systems - new object-oriented journal

4. ANNOUNCEMENT: Object-Oriented Systems - new object-oriented journal

5. REPOST: Questionnaire Survey on Object-Oriented Programming

6. Questionnaire Survey on Object-Oriented Programming

7. Turing Award given to inventors of Object Oriented Programming

8. Short Courses on Object-Oriented Modeling and Programming

9. Object oriented programming

10. Object,Subject,Verb, and Phrase (Sentence) Oriented Programming

11. 3rd Conference on Object-Oriented Technologies and Systems (COOTS) - Conference Program

12. 3rd Conference on Object-Oriented Technologies and Systems (COOTS) - Conference Program