take the 20 second lang. survey
Author Message
 take the 20 second lang. survey

Take the 20-second language survey.  No personal information must be
entered.  This is only a survey steming from my personal interest--it is
not affiliated with any organization.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 29 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 take the 20 second lang. survey

Quote:
> Take the 20-second language survey.  No personal information must be
> entered.  This is only a survey steming from my personal interest--it is
> not affiliated with any organization.

> http://www.recordingwebsite.com/language.html

I didn't answer the survey, because when it came to the questions
about OOL, the first internationally standardized OOL (i.e., Ada)
was not the choices offered.

With bias like that it's no wonder surveys seldom reflect the truth.

Tue, 29 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 take the 20 second lang. survey

Quote:

> > Take the 20-second language survey.  No personal information must be
> > entered.  This is only a survey steming from my personal interest--it is
> > not affiliated with any organization.

> > http://www.recordingwebsite.com/language.html

> I didn't answer the survey, because when it came to the questions
> about OOL, the first internationally standardized OOL (i.e., Ada)
> was not the choices offered.

Common Lisp/CLOS isn't listed either - although it is an ANSI standardized
OO language. Moreover, it is not even in the 'your primary language' list.

--
    Eugene.

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 take the 20 second lang. survey

Quote:
> Take the 20-second language survey.  No personal information must be
> entered.  This is only a survey steming from my personal interest--it is
> not affiliated with any organization.
> http://www.recordingwebsite.com/language.html

Please redo from start: there are HUGE mistakes in your survey:

1) there are languages where OO and procedural can be mixed
   (Delphi, extended Pascal, Ada, and surely others)

2) the 1st standardized OO language is missing in your
   OOL part: Ada (95) ...

3) all your questions are independant of OO features - and the
   main languages (with or without OO) are missing in your choices...

Highest Performance
   Ada, fortran missing

Most Flexible
   Ada, Delphi missing

Shortest Development Time
   Ada, Delphi missing

Easiest to Learn
   all choices should be there, hey!

Most Portable
   Ada

Most "Robust" Standard Library
   Ada

--
Gautier

--------
http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 take the 20 second lang. survey

Quote:

>2) the 1st standardized OO language is missing in your
>   OOL part: Ada (95) ...

Ada is object oriented? I know it has operator overloading, but that's only
a small part of OO.

--

 `-_-'   Ar rug t barrg ar do mhactre inniu?
  'U`    << <KH> you did technical support for Hell ?

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 take the 20 second lang. survey

Quote:

> >2) the 1st standardized OO language is missing in your
> >   OOL part: Ada (95) ...

> Ada is object oriented? I know it has operator overloading, but that's
only
> a small part of OO.

Well.. perhaps you didn't know that record and private types may be extended
as part of type derivation to support general single inheritance; class-wide
types provide class-wide type matching, and use automatic dispatching when
passed to a primitive operation to provide run- time polymorphism.

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 take the 20 second lang. survey
Dans comp.lang.ada, Peter da Silva crit :

Quote:
>Ada is object oriented? I know it has operator overloading, but that's only
>a small part of OO.

Operator overloading has little to do with OO. The key mechanisms
that are useful to support the OO programming model in a language
are encapsulation (the association of a data type and its operation
in a language construct), inheritance and run-time polymorphism.
Yes, Ada 95 has all of these.

Thomas.

--

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 take the 20 second lang. survey

Peter> Ada is object oriented? I know it has operator overloading, but
Peter> that's only a small part of OO.

"Ada" means "the latest Ada ISO standard", a.k.a "Ada95" today. And it
has inheritance with extensions, polymorphism, etc. See
http://www.adahome.com/ for a good start.

  Sam
--

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 take the 20 second lang. survey

Quote:
> Ada is object oriented? I know it has operator overloading, but that's only
> a small part of OO.

The Ada*95* standard has brought inheritance, classes, etc.
There is no prefixed notation - so 2 kinds of objects
can be parameters of a method or a binary operator without jaleaousy...
Procedural and OO can live happily together, it seems.
Surely people more advanced in OO programming in Ada will
comtribute to the discussion...

Note that the Ada 83 has already an inheritance notion
with subtypes.

--
Gautier

--------
http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 take the 20 second lang. survey

Quote:
>> Ada is object oriented? I know it has operator overloading, but that's
>only
>> a small part of OO.
>Well.. perhaps you didn't know that record and private types may be extended
>as part of type derivation to support general single inheritance; class-wide
>types provide class-wide type matching, and use automatic dispatching when
>passed to a primitive operation to provide run- time polymorphism.

No, sir, I didn't. This new-fangled Ada-95 stuff is really something, ain't
it?

Thanks for all the email, folks.

--

 `-_-'   Ar rug t barrg ar do mhactre inniu?
  'U`    << <KH> you did technical support for Hell ?
            <susan> Didn't we all, in our youth? >:) >>

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 take the 20 second lang. survey

  2) the 1st standardized OO language is missing in your
     OOL part: Ada (95) ...

CL -- standardized in 1994.

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 take the 20 second lang. survey

Quote:

>   2) the 1st standardized OO language is missing in your
>      OOL part: Ada (95) ...

> CL -- standardized in 1994.

He probably meant to say _internationally_ standardized.  Ada95 was the
first such.

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 take the 20 second lang. survey

Quote:
> >   2) the 1st standardized OO language is missing in your
> >      OOL part: Ada (95) ...

> > CL -- standardized in 1994.
> He probably meant to say _internationally_ standardized.  Ada95 was the
> first such.

Are you sure? IEEE Scheme dates from 1990, and it supports
message-passing style programming. ;)

Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 take the 20 second lang. survey

Quote:

>  2) the 1st standardized OO language is missing in your
>     OOL part: Ada (95) ...

>CL -- standardized in 1994.

Ada was the first _International_ standarized language, and became an
international standard in 1995 short time before Common Lisp. Common Lisp
became an American standard i 1994, but that was not the first
standardized OO language.

Simula became Swedish standard in 1967, 27 years before Common Lisp.

--

Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 take the 20 second lang. survey

Quote:

> > >   2) the 1st standardized OO language is missing in your
> > >      OOL part: Ada (95) ...

> > > CL -- standardized in 1994.
> > He probably meant to say _internationally_ standardized.  Ada95 was the
> > first such.

> Are you sure? IEEE Scheme dates from 1990, and it supports
> message-passing style programming. ;)

When did IEEE Scheme achieve IEC/ISO standardization?

Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 24 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. take the 20 second lang. survey

2. take the 20 second lang. survey

3. take the 20 second lang. survey

4. take the 20 second lang. survey

5. take the 20 second lang. survey

6. take the 20 second lang. survey

7. take the 20 second lang. survey

8. Lisp Interpreted (fib 20) now in 0.16 seconds

9. SIMTEL-20 survey results

10. SIMTEL-20 survey

11. SIMTEL-20 SURVEY

12. CSEIC News & Survey, June 20, 1997