LOGO-L> 3D - Logo For elementary school kids
Author Message
 LOGO-L> 3D - Logo For elementary school kids

I don't know what the right age is for what any more to be honest.

But I've worked with 3D graphics quite a bit and I think it fits
3D into Logo as well as 2D does.

Most folks have been posting more complex stuff, because they grasped
the basic concepts very quickly. And I don't think any of them
are researchers or post graduates. Most folks playing with it here are
elementary school teachers and seem to be doing quite well with it.

I think with guidance (which is really needed for normal Logo as well)
some basic 3D can be covered. After all they live in a 3D world
and play 3D games. All I did was add 2 commands to steer the turtle
(ROLL and PITCH). Which works exactly like the existing one they had
(HEADING).

I think it's all based on how a well a teacher presents anything.

Define "better".

There are "better" languages than Logo for doing lots of things.
But there is no "better" a teaching language for young students.
The simple polar graphics is what attracts folks to Logo.
All I did was add one more dimension to allow spherical graphics.

If a student knows to pull UP on the stick to make a plane pitch
UP, then they are 1/2 way there.

Reading code means nothing, try flying it to get feel for it.

Quote:

> Many of you researchers and post graduates are having a whale of a time with
> 3D.  I have browsed through some of the code and I am convinced that it is
> quite unsuitable for kids under 12 years old.

> I feel that the greatest strength of logo (especially MicroWorlds) is its
> appeal and suitability for the elementary school kids.

> If you really want to work in 3D, I am sure there are better languages than
> logo. However if we want to motivate the young kids I am convinced that logo is
> the best.

> I challenge LCSI to draw from George's creative initiative and create something
> especially suitable for the young kids.

>  Ray Catzel
> President  ComputerPals

> Internet:   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~pals

George Mills

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 07 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. LOGO-L> MicroWorlds in Elementary School

2. LOGO-L> teaching logo to young kids

3. LOGO-L> teaching logo to young kids

4. LOGO-L> Logo in Secondary schools

5. LOGO books for elementary school students.

6. LOGO-L> 3D - Logo For Beginners

7. LOGO-L> 3d-logo -cosinudid

8. LOGO-L> Apple logo/MSW Logo

10. LOGO-L> Books for teaching kids programming