Dr. Math and Dr. Logowriter? Dr. Turtle Math, etc.
Author Message
 Dr. Math and Dr. Logowriter? Dr. Turtle Math, etc.

Would you be kind enough to share your opinion here.

Can we possibly have a system like the one at Swarthmore or similar in
nature to that one--Ask Dr. Math--whereby all questions from students
concerning how they might get a programmming problem to work or how to
correct their procedure is an online activity which would serve users of
each dialect?  Furthermore, can these questions and these solutions be
posted in files which might be FAQs  which are categorized?  Does this
offend you, e{*filter*}, r anger you, or seem like a lot of work?  Would this
idea serve or detract from the Logo philosophy?

I know the Logo Corporation and others do answer questions, but to my
knowledge, they are not catalogued--please, correct me if I am wrong. To
my knowledge, they are not kept in files which can be accessed.  I also
know that there are courses which are given from time to time that are
invaluable, and there are books that are written on the subject.

Wed, 24 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Dr. Math and Dr. Logowriter? Dr. Turtle Math, etc.

Quote:

>Can we possibly have a system... whereby all questions from students...
>be posted in files which might be FAQs  which are categorized?  Would this
>idea serve or detract from the Logo philosophy?

As to the Logo philosophy, I don't think anyone ever said not to
answer questions!  Of course sometimes the best answer isn't "okay,
here's a completed program" but rather "let me see what you've
tried... okay, here's where you're going wrong."

Anyway, I wouldn't mind answering questions (as I do in this newsgroup)
but I wouldn't want to have to organize a mechanism or provide archival
storage.

Wed, 24 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Dr. Math and Dr. Logowriter? Dr. Turtle Math, etc.
Quote:

>>Can we possibly have a system... whereby all questions from students...
>>be posted in files which might be FAQs  which are categorized?  Would this
>>idea serve or detract from the Logo philosophy?

>As to the Logo philosophy, I don't think anyone ever said not to
>answer questions!  Of course sometimes the best answer isn't "okay,
>here's a completed program" but rather "let me see what you've
>tried... okay, here's where you're going wrong."

I agree with Brian Harvey. I also think that a good FAQ (like the one for
comp.lang.scheme) and a Logo code repository (is the Logo MIT server a good place?)
could be a good idea to pursue.
I'm willing to help with the FAQ.

/// Augusto Chioccariello                              tel. +39 10 6475319
/// Istituto Tecnologie Didattiche - CNR               fax  +39 10 6475300

Sat, 27 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Dr. Math and Dr. Logowriter? Dr. Turtle Math, etc.

Quote:

>>>Can we possibly have a system... whereby all questions from students...
>>>be posted in files which might be FAQs  which are categorized?  Would this
>>>idea serve or detract from the Logo philosophy?

>>As to the Logo philosophy, I don't think anyone ever said not to
>>answer questions!  Of course sometimes the best answer isn't "okay,
>>here's a completed program" but rather "let me see what you've
>>tried... okay, here's where you're going wrong."
>I agree with Brian Harvey. I also think that a good FAQ (like the one for
>comp.lang.scheme) and a Logo code repository (is the Logo MIT server a good place?)
>could be a good idea to pursue.
>I'm willing to help with the FAQ.

I've been short on FAQ time since I changed projects last year,
I'd be thrilled to pass on the torch. I'll forward a copy to
Augusto and he can work with any else who is interested.

|    "These words are too solid, they don't move fast enough           |
|     to catch the blur in the brain that flies by, and is gone..."    |
|     Suzanne Vega                                                     |

Sat, 27 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Dr. Math and Dr. Logowriter? Dr. Turtle Math, etc.

Quote:

> >Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the FAQ on comp.lang.scheme. Can

you fill me in just a little?  If ... "a good FAQ and a Logo code
repository"  is what you mean, it sounds great to me!!

I think more Logo teachers and teachers who would want to work with Logo,
Logowriter, Turtle Math, Microwrolds, etc. would be inclined to give it a
go--especially if when they get stuck, they know they have a place to go
without advertising that they do not know the answer.

As to whether or not the Logo MIT server is a good place or not; I cannot say.

I have over the last six months collected the names and some addresses of
people who were willing to answer questions and add to this collection.
Thank you for your offer, may I keep your information and get back to you?

P.S. If I am not mistaken, you are in Italy.  My SO--significant other--of
10 years is from Italy.  We have traveled there. I do so love the country
and the people.

Quote:
> /// Augusto Chioccariello                              tel. +39 10 6475319
> /// Istituto Tecnologie Didattiche - CNR               fax  +39 10 6475300

Sun, 28 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Dr. Math and Dr. Logowriter? Dr. Turtle Math, etc.
Quote:

>I've been short on FAQ time since I changed projects last year,
>I'd be thrilled to pass on the torch. I'll forward a copy to
>Augusto and he can work with any else who is interested.

I've received the FAQ files from Dale. Thanks to his effort we do
have a good starting point. I will post an update in August.

I would appreciate help/advice on the FAQ.

/// Augusto Chioccariello                              tel. +39 10 6475319
/// Istituto Tecnologie Didattiche - CNR               fax  +39 10 6475300

Fri, 02 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. "Dr. O", "Dr. John", etc. etc.

2. need to contact Dr. Ken Iverson re PhD

3. Looking for Dr. GoodBar!

4. Dr. Watson for NT

5. Dr. Watson for Windows NT

6. Random Dr. Watson bug

7. Random Dr. Watson error with VWNT.exe

8. Analyzing GPF's - Dr. Watson

9. Visual Age/NT40/Dr. Watson

10. Dr. Watson & Cla$CloseWindow

11. WHAT IF DR. SEUSS DID TECHNICAL WRITING?

12. CLTEXT from Dr. Huggles for Xbase?