I'm thinking about "Thinking about thinking"
Author Message
 I'm thinking about "Thinking about thinking"

There are other ways to develop poise, speaking skills and thinking
skills than to program in Logo.

However, we are really talking about two different sets of skills.
There are thinking skills or problem solving strategies that may be
common to the debaters and Logo students.  However, there are
thinking skills and problem solving strategies that may be better
experienced and learned in a Logo environment.

I can find a group of 4 Logo programmers who perhaps will know more
about mathematical, geometric, and programming skills than the 4
debaters. I also think it may be more likely that the Java
programmer, web page developer, computer scientist, engineer,
mathematician will come from the group of "Logo Programmers" as
opposed to the "Debaters."   The debaters will produce more lawyers,
perhaps.  I guess that is why I like Logo more!!!

We want our students (or some of them) to become excellent debaters.
We also want our students (or some of them) to become excellent
"programmers."  There is plenty of room for both.  Some students will
be good at both, some at one only, and unfortunately, some at neither.

A student who programs a turtle has a wonderful opportunity (with
proper materials/resources, supervision, instruction, or direction)
to learn a great deal.  Forward 1000!!

Chuck Friesen

Quote:

>I judged two rounds of debate yesterday.   http://www.*-*-*.com/

>After I watched and listened to four most amazing young men and women go at
>each other for 80 minute rounds I began to wonder if the purpose of
>programming in Logo is to develop ones thinking skills maybe it is not the
>most efficient(time and money) use of a students study time.

>I doubt that sitting at a computer programming the turtle would ever produce
>such poised, well spoken, able to think on their feet under pressure,
>critical thinkers as formal debate tournaments do.     Dale

Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:19:09 GMT
 I'm thinking about "Thinking about thinking"
Thank goodness we are all kinds.

For developing poise ... try the sport of swimming or diving.
Where else but in a swim meet can you see adolescent boys and girl
behaving as if parading in a speedo was no big deal?

To the swimmers, it isn't.  To most everybody else, it is.  This is the
same with break-dancing, bungee jumping and golf.  None of which I'd had
much involvement in.

Should I meet and trust someone with a passion to share, then I'm
gratefully enlightened.  The same goes with my loving to teach kids
Logo.

Ciao!
:-)  edwin

There are other ways to develop poise, speaking skills and thinking
skills than to program in Logo.

However, we are really talking about two different sets of skills.
There are thinking skills or problem solving strategies that may be
common to the debaters and Logo students.  However, there are
thinking skills and problem solving strategies that may be better
experienced and learned in a Logo environment.

I can find a group of 4 Logo programmers who perhaps will know more
about mathematical, geometric, and programming skills than the 4
debaters. I also think it may be more likely that the Java
programmer, web page developer, computer scientist, engineer,
mathematician will come from the group of "Logo Programmers" as
opposed to the "Debaters."   The debaters will produce more lawyers,
perhaps.  I guess that is why I like Logo more!!!

We want our students (or some of them) to become excellent debaters.
We also want our students (or some of them) to become excellent
"programmers."  There is plenty of room for both.  Some students will
be good at both, some at one only, and unfortunately, some at neither.

A student who programs a turtle has a wonderful opportunity (with
proper materials/resources, supervision, instruction, or direction)
to learn a great deal.  Forward 1000!!

Chuck Friesen

>I judged two rounds of debate yesterday.   http://www.ncfca.org/

>After I watched and listened to four most amazing young men and women
>go at each other for 80 minute rounds I began to wonder if the purpose
>of programming in Logo is to develop ones thinking skills maybe it is
>not the most efficient(time and money) use of a students study time.

>I doubt that sitting at a computer programming the turtle would ever
>produce such poised, well spoken, able to think on their feet under
pressure,
>critical thinkers as formal debate tournaments do.     Dale

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:20:35 GMT

1. FS: "Starting/Thinking FORTH"

2. Where can I find "Thinking FORTH"