LOGO-L> (turn a list);butitem
Author Message
 LOGO-L> (turn a list);butitem

That's right there is a side effect with poprandom and pick&remove, the original
list is turned.
If the goal is to continue picking randomly other items, it is not a inconvenient.

For me turn is a ground piece to build other things with it.

Here a better turn to use as tool for kids.

to turn :l [:n 1 + random  count :l]
repeat  :n [make "l lput first :l bf :l ]
op :l
end

With default it acts just as previous turn, turning randomly; with a value for :n
it turns the list for :n
position.

show (turn [a b c d] 2)
[c d a b]

About butitem, what do you thing for that:

to butitem :n :l
op filter [not  # = :n]:l
end

; and for butitems

to butitems :itemlist :l
op filter [not memberp # :itemlist] :l
end

;  And to be complete,  then add  items.

to items :itemlist :l
op filter [memberp # :itemlist] :l
end

I like the symetry of items and butitems .

Regards.

P-A Dreyfuss

Quote:
> [...]

>> turn uses only repeat and make which should be in any logo.

>> Turn just return the list with random circular permutation.
>> pick the first element for use and continue with the rest (bf ) of the list.

>> ; So build poprandom (If you have pop in library)

>> to poprandom :nameoflist
>> make :nameoflist turn thing :nameoflist
>> op pop :nameoflist
>> end

>> ; Or the same with basic primitives.

>> to pick&remove  :nameoflist
>> make :nameoflist turn thing :nameoflist
>> localmake "picked first thing :nameoflist
>> make  :nameoflist bf thing :nameoflist
>> op :picked
>> end

>> You can work with first and butfirs.
>> As in this example.

>> to printrandom :l
>> if emptyp :l [stop]
>> make "l  turn :l
>> print first :l
>> printrandom bf :l
>> end

>> And now your dream :

>> to shuffle :l [:l2 []]
>> if emptyp :l [op :l2]
>> make "l turn :l
>> op (shuffle bf  :l  fput first :l  :l2)
>> end

>> Shuffle returns a list with the elements randomly shuffled.

>> butitem is a good tool to put in the library

>> If you like turn you can find a better name for it,
>> I don't speak english very well.

>> Regards

>> P-A Dreyfuss.

>> >I hope there is an easy explanation, but I can't find it!  I have tried

>> >every combination of likely commands I can think of, to no avail.

>> >I have a list with 11 words in it; each is the name of a procedure.  I am

>> >trying to pick one of these words at random and then eliminate it from the

>> >list.  (At a certain button click, all of the words can be restored to the

>> >list.)  But all I can manage to do is either run through the list in the

>> >same order as originally entered, eliminating the first (or last) each time

>> >(using butfirst or butlast), or select randomly without eliminating any

>> >words and sometimes have the same word get chosen repeatedly.  How can I

>> >select a word randomly and then place that word at the beginning or end
>> of
>> >the list so it can be eliminated?  Or if this is not possible, is there

>> >some handy way of entering the list in a newly scrambled order each time
>> >button is clicked?  Does it help to put the list into a text box?

>> >Thanks in advance,
>> >Wendy Petti
>> >Washington International School

>> >---------------------------------------------------------------

>> Free web-based email, Forever, From anywhere!
>> http://www.*-*-*.com/ {*filter*}.com

>--
>George Mills

> http://www.*-*-*.com/
>The www page contains some very powerful educational software.
>Our single most important investment is our kids.

http://www.*-*-*.com/ {*filter*}.com

Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> (turn a list);butitem

Once again it depends on if you consider your "list" as a SET or
an ordered LIST. Some applications are interested in what was
randomly removed and some applications are interested in the
original ordered list with just that element removed.

Quote:

> [...]

> >> op (shuffle bf  :l  fput first :l  :l2)
> >> end

> >> Shuffle returns a list with the elements randomly shuffled.

> >> butitem is a good tool to put in the library

> >> If you like turn you can find a better name for it,
> >> I don't speak english very well.

> >> Regards

> >> P-A Dreyfuss.

> >> of

> >> Free web-based email, Forever, From anywhere!
> >> http://www.*-*-*.com/ {*filter*}.com
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------

> >--
> >===============================================================
> >George Mills

> > http://www.*-*-*.com/
> >The www page contains some very powerful educational software.
> >Our single most important investment is our kids.

> Free web-based email, Forever, From anywhere!

George Mills

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. LOGO-L> butitem

2. Turning a list value in a parameter into a list for eval without quasiquote/unquote

3. LOGO-L> Apple logo/MSW Logo

5. Bugs in ST80 4.1 (Stream>>through, List>>copyFrom:to:)

6. LOGO-L> Note to List Serv

7. LOGO-L> primitive listing

8. LOGO-L> List Work

9. R: LOGO-L> permuted list