LOGO-L> Re: MSWLogo
Author Message
 LOGO-L> Re: MSWLogo

I hope you don't mind my reply going to the logo-l mailing list.

Quote:

> Me again with a small suggestion and a quick query.

> Suggestion:  Whilst writing a new workbook of ideas for my pupils who are
> using MSWLogo at home, I wanted to find a way to manipulate text on screen.
>  I eventually discovered the LABEL command (via Jim Muller's book).
> Previously I had been using HELP for such keywords as TEXT, WRITE, PRINT,
> SHOW etc. but none of them had pointed me towards the existence of LABEL.
> Such an addition might be an idea for some future 'to do' list.

I did not choose the standard keyword names, they can be a bit cryptic at times.
LABEL is one of the more intuitive ones :-) If I added alternatives and folks
started using them then we would have more chaos on the different dialects of
Logo than we already have.

Quote:

> Query:  Whilst writing the same book, and whislt trying to reconfigure a
> few Logotron WinLogo commands for sound to run with MSWLogo, I couldn't
> find a way for the SOUND command to accept a variable. What I wanted to do
> was show pupils how to create simple procedures for particular notes in
> which a variable would allow them to specify a tone but vary its duration.
> Along the lines of . . .  SOUND [ (frequency)  (variable for duration) ].
> I can do this in WinLogo. Is it possible in MSWLogo?

This is one of the most common questions asked on Logo and it's a very critical
one. The thing that is likely different between WinLogo and MSWLogo is that the
SOUND command in MSWLogo takes a list. The reason for the list is to allow
MSWLogo to "play" the frequencies back to back with no sound break.
But you have to know how to deal with lists in order to fully take advantage
of it. Constructing lists with [100 200] is sort of a bad habit in Logo.
Because you immediately assume [:freq :delay] will also work, but it won't.
[:freq :delay] constructs a list with two words :freq and :delay and not the
value of :freq and :delay. You want to construct a list and place the value
of the arguments in the list. How do you do this? You do it with the command
called LIST (and intuitively named :-)).

make :freq 100
make :delay 200
show [100 200]
[100 200]
show [:freq :delay]
[:freq :delay]
show (list 100 200)
[100 200]
show (list :freq :delay)
[100 200]
sound (list :freq :delay)
sound (list :freq :delay :freq*2 :delay :freq*4 :delay)

Quote:

> My group of MSWLogo pupils is slowly growing and they seem to be thriving
> with it once they understand the principle of working with procedures.

> All the best for 1999.

George Mills

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 30 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Re: MSWLogo

Quote:

>>  I eventually discovered the LABEL command (via Jim Muller's book).
>> Previously I had been using HELP for such keywords as TEXT, WRITE, PRINT,
>> SHOW etc. but none of them had pointed me towards the existence of LABEL.
>> Such an addition might be an idea for some future 'to do' list.

>I did not choose the standard keyword names, they can be a bit cryptic at times.
>LABEL is one of the more intuitive ones :-) If I added alternatives and folks
>started using them then we would have more chaos on the different dialects of
>Logo than we already have.

I think it'd be reasonable to put more "see also" advice into the UCBLogo
reference manual (and thus ultimately into the UCBLogo help files and
perhaps thence into the MSWLogo help files :-).

Thus when one said HELP "PRINT the result would include something like

        See also: TYPE and SHOW for different print formats, LABEL to
        print text on the graphics window.

I'll put it on my list for the (coming soon, I hope) next release...

Sun, 01 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. LOGO-L> PC-LOGO syntax in MSWLogo

2. LOGO-L> Re: MSWLogo

3. LOGO-L> MSWlogo for D. Barnett

4. LOGO-L> Web page + MSWLogo GUI Builder

5. LOGO-L> Bola magica (MSWLogo)

6. LOGO-L> oscillatory table with mswlogo bits

7. LOGO-L> Re: MSWlogo

8. LOGO-L> MSWLogo 6.2 is available

9. LOGO-L> Searching for MSWLogo (Spanish Version)

10. Odp: LOGO-L> MSWLogo 6.2 is available

11. LOGO-L> floating point errors in MSWLogo

12. LOGO-L> windows functions in MSWLogo