Hence it is said:
Going forward seems like retreat;
The easy way seems hard;
The perfect square has no corners;
Great talents ripen late;
The greatest form has no shape.
... [1]

I have recently received Brian Harvey's
_Computer Science Logo Style_ books, and
have begun working through Volume 1,
"Symbolic Computing". [2]

I would like to ask if there is anyone else
on this list, who is also working through
CSLS, who might be interested in forming
an informal study group for the purpose
of sharing solutions, discussing the books,
and so forth?

I rather like the idea of approaching Computer
Science as a rewarding activity that is
intellectually stimulating, rather than soley
for the purpose of working in industry as a
professional programmer or scientist.

Therefore, I am interested in learning Logo
for the fun of it. My goal is to learn the lessons
in CSLS well enough to be able to approach
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs [3]
later on.

I have found it helpful in the past (when self-teaching
other programming languages) to be able to share
source code and discuss concepts with a study
partner. Please contact me if you are interested.

Bibliography:
[1] Tao Te Ching. Tsu, Lao. Translated by Gia-Fu Feng
     and Jane English. Vintage Books, 1972.
     ISBN 0-394-71833
[2] Computer Science Logo Style, 2/e. Harvey, Brian.
     v.1 Symbolic computing. v.2 Advanced techniques.
     v.3 Beyond programming. The MIT Press, 1997.
     ISBN 0-262-58151-5 (set : pbk)
[3] Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs.
     Abelson, Sussman and Sussman. The MIT Press,
     1996. ISBN 0-262-01153-0

--

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~marm/index.html

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 16 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Logo Studies

Quote:
>The perfect square has no corners;
>Great talents ripen late;

thanks Kenneth, I'm clapping with one hand

Quote:
>I would like to ask if there is anyone else
>on this list, who is also working through
>CSLS, who might be interested in forming
>an informal study group for the purpose
>of sharing solutions, discussing the books,
>and so forth?

 I have a more ambitious idea in mind --->>>

either national or international constuctionist schools of the Internet with
formal enrolments, paid teachers, courses, accreditation etc.

this list / newsgroup could facilitate (be a major resource) for the
development of such schools.

its time ?

-- Bill Kerr

Wed, 17 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT