LOGO-L> Web page + MSWLogo GUI Builder
Author Message
 LOGO-L> Web page + MSWLogo GUI Builder

I've modified the MicroWorlds project 'motion' at my web site to allow
the user to place magnets on the field.  Some interesting results (such
as turtles orbiting magnets) can now be obtained.

I have also placed static screen shots of the projects at the site so
anyone without the plug-in can at least get a feel for the projects.
Remember you don't need MicroWorlds on you computer to get and use the
plug-in, only Win95.

Which brings me to my second subject. Anyone looking at these projects
will see right away the heavy reliance on the GUI building capabilities
of MicroWorlds.  Additionally a great deal of use is made of the
somewhat OOP nature of MicroWorld turtles.  While trying to port over
the code to MSWLogo the second point can be gotten around somewhat by
the use of property lists.  The first point however is a real pain.
Having to manually size and place all the components of a complicated
GUI is a real drawback, at least in my opinion.  So my question to the
list is, What are the rest of you who are working with MSWLogo doing?

I have started on a VERY SIMPLE GUI builder.  As a first pass it will
report back sizes and placement for a few of the components.  Hooking it
all together will still have to be done manually but at least some of
the real low level stuff will be done. So far I seem to be able to do
this all in logo.  My goal is to write it all in logo.

Has anyone else done any work in this area?  Would anyone (all of you)
care to collaborate on this project?  While I don't have unlimited time
I can devote some hours to it each week. If anything worthwhile comes of
this the code can be made a part of MSWLogo if George felt comfortable
with that, else it could be made available separately.

regards,
--
Frank Caggiano

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~caggiano

Fri, 19 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Web page + MSWLogo GUI Builder

There is a very crude "GUI builder" in Examples\Windows\Visual.LGO
I hope to build in a real GUI builder some day.
Visual.LGO was actually built with itself :-)

MSWLogo does need a "GUI Builder".

Anything you do would be a great help.

Quote:

> I've modified the MicroWorlds project 'motion' at my web site to allow
> the user to place magnets on the field.  Some interesting results (such
> as turtles orbiting magnets) can now be obtained.

> I have also placed static screen shots of the projects at the site so
> anyone without the plug-in can at least get a feel for the projects.
> Remember you don't need MicroWorlds on you computer to get and use the
> plug-in, only Win95.

> Which brings me to my second subject. Anyone looking at these projects
> will see right away the heavy reliance on the GUI building capabilities
> of MicroWorlds.  Additionally a great deal of use is made of the
> somewhat OOP nature of MicroWorld turtles.  While trying to port over
> the code to MSWLogo the second point can be gotten around somewhat by
> the use of property lists.  The first point however is a real pain.
> Having to manually size and place all the components of a complicated
> GUI is a real drawback, at least in my opinion.  So my question to the
> list is, What are the rest of you who are working with MSWLogo doing?

> I have started on a VERY SIMPLE GUI builder.  As a first pass it will
> report back sizes and placement for a few of the components.  Hooking it
> all together will still have to be done manually but at least some of
> the real low level stuff will be done. So far I seem to be able to do
> this all in logo.  My goal is to write it all in logo.

> Has anyone else done any work in this area?  Would anyone (all of you)
> care to collaborate on this project?  While I don't have unlimited time
> I can devote some hours to it each week. If anything worthwhile comes of
> this the code can be made a part of MSWLogo if George felt comfortable
> with that, else it could be made available separately.

> regards,
> --
> Frank Caggiano

> http://www.atlantic.net/~caggiano

George Mills

http://www.softronix.com

Fri, 19 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Web page + MSWLogo GUI Builder

Quote:

> There is a very crude "GUI builder" in Examples\Windows\Visual.LGO
> I hope to build in a real GUI builder some day.
> Visual.LGO was actually built with itself :-)

> MSWLogo does need a "GUI Builder".

Well is my face red.

Was I the only one in LogoLand who didn't know about this or are you
keeping it a deep dark secret to find out who really goes and explores
the examples directory ? :-)

I just brought it up but as far as I can tell it does a very serviceable
job.  I had one problem when I loaded it however.  You have a procedure
named 'selectbox' in visual.lgo and you also have a library procedure by
the same name (predefined windows commands 'selectbox').   I renamed the
procedure and the calls to it in visual.lgo and all appears to be
working now.

Well that was easy, the quickest GUI i ever built!

regards.
--
Frank Caggiano

http://www.atlantic.net/~caggiano

Sat, 20 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. LOGO-L> Web page about LOGO

2. dB Web Builder - Insert xBase Expressions into HTML to Generate Web Pages

3. LOGO-L> Web pages

4. LOGO-L> MicroWorlds web page

5. LOGO-L> New Web page project

6. LOGO-L> Update to Web Page