MswLogo & Windows 3.11 Sound
Author Message
 MswLogo & Windows 3.11 Sound

For a summer class From Games to Programming, I've been using MswLogo
successfully with Windows 3.11.  It's good.  The students are writing
their own games now in MswLogo.  The only major problem so far is lack of
sound. Nothing comes out of the PC speaker, and MCI commands are rejected
saying that they only work with Windows 3.1 (or with 3.0 plus
extensions).  It is the 16 bit version of MswLogo. Results are identical
with Windows 95, on a small variety of computers, and audio works fine
with other software.  Anybody know what to do?  Please email me if further
technical detail would be helpful; I'll gladly provide it.  TIA.

--
Iychettira M. (Gana) Ganapathy
____________________

Tue, 12 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 MswLogo & Windows 3.11 Sound

I just tested MCI commands on Win95 with the 16bit version and
it seems to work fine. Make sure you have the newest version 5.1b,
although there has not been problems with sound and MswLogo
in quite some time.

Note that the SOUNDS.LGI example assumes a Win95 installation
(for sample sounds) with multimedia sound files installed.

To use MCI sound related commands you must have a sound card).

If your just playing a .WAV file use PLAYWAVE which is easier to use.
(see HELP "PLAYWAVE) and it works with the SPEAKER driver.

To use the PC speaker directly use the SOUND command
(see HELP "SOUND).

If you don't have a sound card you can install the WAVE file emulator
(also known as the SPEAKER driver) which works on 3.1, 3.11 and 95
(it's a little tricky installing on Win95 but it does work). It's
available on the logo web page (http://www.ultranet.com/~mills)

PLAYWAVE will work with the SPEAKER driver, but MCI sound commands
will not.

If you have a sound card check out the MIDI stuff too, it's pretty
cool (See HELP "MIDI)

3.11 is the same as 3.1 as far as sound capability goes.

Note, some very old MswLogo versions (3.7 and older) used to have
a Windows 3.0 flavor kit, which would disable MCI and MIDI.

Quote:
>For a summer class From Games to Programming, I've been using MswLogo
>successfully with Windows 3.11.  It's good.  The students are writing
>their own games now in MswLogo.  The only major problem so far is lack of
>sound. Nothing comes out of the PC speaker, and MCI commands are rejected
>saying that they only work with Windows 3.1 (or with 3.0 plus
>extensions).  It is the 16 bit version of MswLogo. Results are identical
>with Windows 95, on a small variety of computers, and audio works fine
>with other software.  Anybody know what to do?  Please email me if further
>technical detail would be helpful; I'll gladly provide it.  TIA.
>--
>Iychettira M. (Gana) Ganapathy
>____________________

Thu, 14 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Sound under Windows 3.11 and wpy?

2. VSE 3.11 (WINDOWS 3.11) with more than 16 MB

3. Clipper & WIndows 3.11

4. How send to printer under Windows 3.11, Windows 95

5. Sound through the sound card for MSWLogo?

6. Problem with Windows 3.11

7. Problem with Windows 3.11

8. Window Size in Windows 3.11

9. WHY ERROR [35] UNDER WINDOWS 3.11

10. Windows 3.11 network printing delay.

11. Windows 3.11 + Clipper5.2c + Exospace= GPF ?

12. Windows 3.11 running Clipper 87 app