Origin of phrase "Hard Fun"
Author Message
 Origin of phrase "Hard Fun"

Quote:
> I just read (a somewhat interesting) article by Elliot Soloway et. al.
> called "K-12 and the Internet" in the January Communications of the ACM.

> "Alan Kay observes that learning is 'hard fun.'"

> Now I don't doubt that Alan observed that but I'm curious about the origin
> of the phrase. My not-so-reliable memory is that Seymour Papert said he
> heard it from a child learning LOGO.

> Anyone know more about this? It sure is a nice phrase.

As I recall, the origin was from about 10 years ago when Papert and the
research group at the Media Lab started looking into video games. Within
that context, there were discussions with kids about video games, fun, etc.
And one kid said: "Video games are fun. Logo is fun too -- but it's hard
fun."

Tue, 25 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Origin of phrase "Hard Fun"
I just read (a somewhat interesting) article by Elliot Soloway et. al.
called "K-12 and the Internet" in the January Communications of the ACM.

"Alan Kay observes that learning is 'hard fun.'"

Now I don't doubt that Alan observed that but I'm curious about the origin
of the phrase. My not-so-reliable memory is that Seymour Papert said he
heard it from a child learning LOGO.

Anyone know more about this? It sure is a nice phrase.

Best,

-ken kahn (www.toontalk.com)

Wed, 26 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. LOGO-L> RE: Origin of phrase "Hard Fun"

2. LOGO-L> Origin of phrase "Hard Fun"

3. Origin of "John Doe"

4. Origin of "John Doe"

5. Origin of "Factoring"

6. Origin of "curried"

7. Origin of "dope vector"

8. Origin of the term "syntactic sugar"

9. Origin "DO error causes spacecraft failure"

10. origin of "arity"

11. origin of "arity"

12. Origin of "Smalltalk" - another theory