LOGO-L> maths/science: best countries (?)
Author Message
 LOGO-L> maths/science: best countries (?)

13 year old's average score in Third International Maths and Science Study
(TIMSS). This is the order of succes by country.

Maths:
1. Singapore
2. South Korea
3. Japan
15. Russia
16. Australia
21. Israel
25. England
28. United States

Science:
1. Singapore
2. Czech Republic
3. Japan
10. England
12. Australia
14. Russia
17. United States
23. Israel

I wonder what it all means? (countries strategically picked that I know are
represented on this list, apart from top 3)

-- Bill Kerr

Wed, 04 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> maths/science: best countries (?)

Quote:

> I wonder what it all means? (countries strategically picked that I know are
> represented on this list, apart from top 3)

I think you forgot Canada :)

        Regards,

--
Tennessee Carmel-Veilleux (Coordonator of Digital Meltdown)

Support Linux ! (www.linux.org;www.gnu.org) 1.99$ CD->(www.cheapbytes.com)
||*|| This message was written in Canada / Ce message a ete ecrit au Canada

Wed, 04 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> maths/science: best countries (?)

Quote:
>I think you forgot Canada :)
>Tennessee Carmel-Veilleux (Coordonator of Digital Meltdown)

Sorry, Canada was 18th on both Maths and Science.
-- Bill Kerr

Thu, 05 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> maths/science: best countries (?)
It means that Singapore is successful at teaching their 13 year olds to do well
on the TIMSS.

Texas public schools have a test called the TAAS (I think). If your school does
well on it, you get notice. If your school does poorly, you have to corrct that
situation. Many public schools in Texas teach to the test.

Go to Uluru in Australia (aka Ayer's Rock).
Walk for a day.
When some 13 year olds show up, give them the test.

Please let me know the results.

Gary

Quote:

> 13 year old's average score in Third International Maths and Science Study
> (TIMSS). This is the order of succes by country.

> I wonder what it all means?

Fri, 06 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. LOGO-L> LOGO and Maths

2. LOGO-L> Computer Science Logo Style problem

3. LOGO-L>Trefoil Knot Maths

4. LOGO-L> Maths File previously Uploaded

5. LOGO-L> International Maths Journal

6. LOGO-L> International maths journal

7. Computer Science in other Countries

8. LOGO-L> Introducing Programming For Science Students

9. LOGO-L> Cheryl, science fair

10. LOGO-L> Science project

11. LOGO-L> Re: APL better than LOGO

12. LOGO activity in your country?