LOGO-L> Sound through the sound card for MSWLogo?
Author Message
 LOGO-L> Sound through the sound card for MSWLogo?

Quote:

>Is there some way to tell MSWLogo to send the output of
>SOUND to the sound card and speakers? I understand that one
>can use MIDI but that seems to be a much greater and
>undesired level of complexity, especially for my kids.  It
>is strange that a program that seems to be Win9x
>knowledgeable still seems to use a DOS-level method of
>generating sound.

One way you can enliven the use of sound is by the playing of WAVE files

WAV files allow 'real' sounds to be linked to graphic events: sounds such
as 'applause', 'fanfare', 'chimes', etc. (and sounds that your children
might actually record themselves)

The command to initiate a WAV file is PLAYWAVE "wavsound.WAV FLAGS where
'wavsound.wav' is the full location address of the file and 'FLAGS' are the
various 'play' options.

The three options I find useful are:
0 .... 'Synchronous' - does not return graphic control UNTIL the WAV sound
has finished
1 .... 'Asynchronous' - graphic control is immediately available AS the WAV
sound starts
9 .... 'Asynchronous' - graphic control is immediately available AND the
WAV sound continues to loop until a new WAV sound is initiated.

A typical sequence might be (PLAYWAVE "buzz.WAV 9) (draw graphic objects)
(PLAYWAVE "ping.WAV 0) where the 'buzz' continues while the graphic is
being drawn but is terminated as the drawing finishes and initiates the new
'ping' sound.

Paul C Dench

Logo for Teachers and Parents
< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;

Sat, 22 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Sound through the sound card for MSWLogo?

Quote:

> >Is there some way to tell MSWLogo to send the output of
> >SOUND to the sound card and speakers? I understand that one
> >can use MIDI but that seems to be a much greater and
> >undesired level of complexity, especially for my kids.  It
> >is strange that a program that seems to be Win9x
> >knowledgeable still seems to use a DOS-level method of
> >generating sound.

Thanks Paul.

Here are a couple other things to consider.

o Some people still don't have computers with sound cards and so I still
provide a way for them to play with sound.

o Many modern computers today internally hook the PC Speaker to the sound
card so PC Speaker sound will play on the sound card speakers.

o I do hope one day to add a simple command like SOUND (frequency based)
directly for the sound card but I have not found the appropriate API yet.
In fact, in my hunt for such a thing I added the MIDI stuff which can be
complex but a lot of fun. You might be able to write some simple wrappers
for the MIDI stuff to do something like what SOUND does.

Quote:

> One way you can enliven the use of sound is by the playing of WAVE files

> WAV files allow 'real' sounds to be linked to graphic events: sounds such
> as 'applause', 'fanfare', 'chimes', etc. (and sounds that your children
> might actually record themselves)

> The command to initiate a WAV file is PLAYWAVE "wavsound.WAV FLAGS where
> 'wavsound.wav' is the full location address of the file and 'FLAGS' are the
> various 'play' options.

> The three options I find useful are:
> 0 .... 'Synchronous' - does not return graphic control UNTIL the WAV sound
> has finished
> 1 .... 'Asynchronous' - graphic control is immediately available AS the WAV
> sound starts
> 9 .... 'Asynchronous' - graphic control is immediately available AND the
> WAV sound continues to loop until a new WAV sound is initiated.

> A typical sequence might be (PLAYWAVE "buzz.WAV 9) (draw graphic objects)
> (PLAYWAVE "ping.WAV 0) where the 'buzz' continues while the graphic is
> being drawn but is terminated as the drawing finishes and initiates the new
> 'ping' sound.

> Paul C Dench

> Logo for Teachers and Parents
> <http://www.cowan.edu.au/pa/ecawa/sig/logo/paul_dench/turtle/>

George Mills

http://www.softronix.com

Sat, 22 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Sound through the sound card for MSWLogo?

2. LOGO-L> Re: MSWLogo sound

3. clipper dos sound to windows sound card

4. snack sound and multiple sound cards

5. How do you use your sound card and sound VI to get sound levels off a microphone.

6. LOGO-L> Need sound advice :-)

7. LOGO-L> Sounds in Microworlds

8. LOGO-L> Sound files

9. LOGO-L> Re: On sound

10. REXX: Sound.CMD --- simple sound player !

11. sound WAVE sound

12. SOUND-a-SOUND