[TECHNICAL] [MSW LOGO] Logolib
Author Message
 [TECHNICAL] [MSW LOGO] Logolib

How do you firmly establish a procdure as native to logolib?

FOR EXAMPLE
-----------
As an intro to recursion, I have the kids choose an image or two out of
Yehuda's page.  Then I have the kids load the "general procedures" and the
.lgo program they wish to study.  I'm guessing my presentation is becoming
more enthralling.  My last class peltered Yehuda with questions on how to
install all his programs.

The big thing is getting his General Procedures to execute out of logolib.
For now, my work-around is, as mentioned above, to load the general
procedures each time followed by the individual .lgo programs.  Yehuda and I
have worked on this before.  For some reason, we couldn't get his general
procedures into my logolib.  He actually ended up sending me his whole
logolib to overlay mine. Anyway, the last exhange I had offlist with Yehuda
(before he began teaching in Baltimore, MD) was that he wishes he knew how
to create an installer.

I can create the installer for the individual programs.  If someone can clue
me on the secrets of how to extablish Yehuda's general procedures as valid
logolib, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks!

:-)   edwin

LogoForum messages are archived at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:28:28 GMT
 [TECHNICAL] [MSW LOGO] Logolib

Quote:

>  For some reason, we couldn't get his general
>procedures into my logolib.

What did you try, and what happened?  (I always have this problem with
my students, too, getting them to send details in their requests for
help.  :-)

Logolib is just a directory (or a folder, I guess they call it in Windows)
and the files in it are plain ASCII text files.  If you want a procedure
named FOO in the library, you write a file named FOO containing its
definition.

Perhaps the problem is that you called the file FOO.LGO or something;
it should just be FOO.  (At least that's how it works in UCBLogo; I
don't have a Windows machine in front of me right now so I can't
double-check in MSWLogo.)  Windows makes it easy to get this wrong by
not showing you the extensions when it displays filenames.

Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:55:15 GMT
 [TECHNICAL] [MSW LOGO] Logolib
I just tired this again from scratch.  I created a new MSW install then
cut&paste Yehuda's 3d_frame procedure from his Essential Procedures onto
Notepad.  I then Saved As "3d_frame" into logolib.  I confirmed that it had
no extentions, just 3d_frame.  Note that the icon for the ASCII file
represented a Notepad "link" as opposed to all the other logolib entries.

I believe the original logolib entries as are special save off the Command
line.  Something like : save "3d_frame.  Either way, the result is still "I
don't know how to 3d_frame".

So I don't know what's blowing up ... maybe it's a header problem.  I'll try
a few things out of the ordinary to make sure that 3d_frame, etc. are plain
and simple ASCII file without extensions.  We'll see...

:-(  edwin

What did you try, and what happened?  (I always have this problem with
my students, too, getting them to send details in their requests for
help.  :-)

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:17:05 GMT
 [TECHNICAL] [MSW LOGO] Logolib

I just tired this again from scratch.  I created a new MSW install then
cut&paste Yehuda's 3d_frame procedure from his Essential Procedures onto
Notepad.  I then Saved As "3d_frame" into logolib.  I confirmed that it had
no extentions, just 3d_frame.  Note that the icon for the ASCII file
represented a Notepad "link" as opposed to all the other logolib entries.
I believe the original logolib entries as are special save off the Command
line.  Something like : save "3d_frame.  Either way, the result is still "I
don't know how to 3d_frame".
 There are I believe 6 files. Mine work, so I attached them, just save them
to LOGOLIB, & see If that works,  Bob

LogoForum messages are archived at:

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Yahoo! Terms of Service. Attachment
converted: Macintosh HD:3D_FRAME (TEXT/ttxt) (0000F482)
Attachment converted: Macintosh HD:SPH (TEXT/ttxt) (0000F483)
Attachment converted: Macintosh HD:SP (TEXT/ttxt) (0000F484)
Attachment converted: Macintosh HD:ARCR (TEXT/ttxt) (0000F485)
Attachment converted: Macintosh HD:ARCL (TEXT/ttxt) (0000F486)
Attachment converted: Macintosh HD:SPHC (TEXT/ttxt) (0000F487)
 People don't want Computers... They want Answers...

  3D_FRAME
< 1K Download

  ARCL
< 1K Download

  ARCR
< 1K Download

  SP
< 1K Download

  SPH
< 1K Download

  SPHC
< 1K Download

Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:24:20 GMT
 [TECHNICAL] [MSW LOGO] Logolib
    Thanks  Bob.     The  big question is how did you first set these up to
work in logolib?  I  actually have the procedures working in my MSW (which
has a whole bunch of other  goodies collected from all of you.)  Yehuda
sent me his entire logolib  after several frustrating tries at following
the load procedures he has outlined  on his page.  My special 3d_frame even
has Yehuda's signature in  Hebrew.  I'm not about to give an autographed
copy up!!   What I  really want to do is figure out how to make an
installer for the educational  packages that I'm creating.  Like
among other things, I am trying  to replicate Brian's (define (function fn)
(lambda (arg) fn arg arg))) and store  it in logolib.  It's kinda central
to the functional programming approach  I'm concocting for my next round of
logo classes.   Cheers! :-)  edwin
Quote:
   -----Original Message-----From: Bob Gorman

I just tired this again from scratch.       I created a new MSW install
thencut&paste Yehuda's 3d_frame      procedure from his Essential
Procedures ontoNotepad.  I then Saved      As "3d_frame" into logolib.  I
confirmed that it hadno extentions,      just 3d_frame.  Note that the icon
for the ASCII filerepresented a      Notepad "link" as opposed to all the
other logolib entries.I believe      the original logolib entries as are
special save off the      Commandline.  Something like : save "3d_frame.
Either way,      the result is still "Idon't know how to    3d_frame".
There are I believe 6 files.Mine work,    so I attached them,just save them
to LOGOLIB,& see If that    works,Bob To unsubscribe from this group, send
an email

  use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

LogoForum messages are archived at:

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:25:30 GMT
 [TECHNICAL] [MSW LOGO] Logolib
    AFTER  THOUGHT : I'm  cramming on how to replicate scheme's lambda in
logo.  Any help would  be most welcome.
Quote:
   -----Original Message-----From: Edwin Pilobello

[...]

them to LOGOLIB,& see If that      works,Bob To unsubscribe from this
group, send an email

    use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

  use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

LogoForum messages are archived at:

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:25:58 GMT
 [TECHNICAL] [MSW LOGO] Logolib

Thanks Bob.     The big question is how did you first set these up to work
in logolib?  I actually have the procedures working in my MSW (which has a
whole bunch of other goodies collected from all of you.)  Yehuda sent me
his entire logolib after several frustrating tries at following the load
procedures he has outlined on his page.  My special 3d_frame even has
Yehuda's signature in Hebrew.  I'm not about to give an autographed copy
up!!
 Obviously precious, save it somewhere but NOT in LOGOLIB!
 What I really want to do is figure out how to make an installer for the
educational packages that I'm creating.
 I'd like that too, but its not easy. My crossref is getting better, but
still barfs when it hits a new challenge. The rules I've teased out thus
far are: Files in LOGOLIB do not have an extension. The last line is
usually ERASE xxx, where XXX is the procedure defined. This keeps the
procedure from being saved by users "save" command.  I'm using Francis
Leboutte's Startup.lgo + his buried library, + extensions of my own to
capture ALL dribble files. It works fairly well for me on a daily basis,
but is still full of gotchas, when I try to share code with the forum.  I'm
collecting notes, so someday we can publish a simple set of guidelines,
like: Do this, & this, & this, & this.  Bob People don't want Computers...
They want Answers...

LogoForum messages are archived at:

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:27:27 GMT
 [TECHNICAL] [MSW LOGO] Logolib
    Hey  Bob,   I found one way to do a native logolib...kinda  funky but
it works!   1. Cut  & Paste each procedure [3d_frame sp sph sphc arcr arcl
reset] from Yehuda's  Essential Procedures to Notepad. 2. In  Notepad, Save
As "procedure" into logolib 3. In  MSW Logo : foreach [file>new; file>load
"All Files (*.*)"]   individual procedure as *.txt 4. I verified that the
workspace had  only one procedure by doing EDALL then SAVE &  EXIT. 5. In
the Commander type :  save "procedure name  (i.e. : save  "3d_frame ) 6.
Delete all the individual *.txt files from logolib.   There  may be a
simpler way.  If so let anyone who knows please post  up.   Basically, this
procedure removes .txt and the  association to Notepad.  The icon
representing the file changes from the  Notepad Document icon to what you
see in logolib.  I think it's the  "hidden" .txt extension that (as Brian
noted) needs to be removed  permanently.  I think *.txt is somehow implied
if the icon or  association is made to Notepad.   There's my two bits.
:-)   edwin   P.S. -  I did not add "erase" but kept the "bury"
Quote:
   -----Original Message-----From: Bob Gorman

     I'm collecting    notes, so someday we can publish a simple set of
guidelines, like:Do this,    & this, & this, &  this.

LogoForum messages are archived at:

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:55:03 GMT
 [TECHNICAL] [MSW LOGO] Logolib
    Notepad likes to save stuff with ".TXT" extension. Try  typing the
filename as "foobar." (ie, place a dot at the end of the filename)  instead
of either "foobar" or "foobar.txt". Windows understands the "." as meaning
"you know exactly what  filename you want" and doesn't apply any extension
to it..   Jamie
[...]

Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:56:53 GMT
 [TECHNICAL] [MSW LOGO] Logolib
    Confirmed!  Thanks, Jamie!!   You  know, I did a right-click on the
file I had saved with Notepad and looked at  Properties. Saw that Open With
was associated with Notepad, but the  filename did not appear to have a
.TXT extention.  Even on the LOAD on MSW  Logo, the .TXT extention was not
apparent.   So,  finally the smart tip of the week is revealed.  Saving a
procedure directly  from Notepad to logolib suffixed with a "dot" but no
extension makes it  native.  Of course, doing a SAVE "procedure to logolib
from MSW workspace  works too.   Yehuda, Sabbath Shalom!   I think we have
a  bonafide solution to the vexation we had a while back.   Cheers! :-)
edwin   P.S. -  Rather than load up logolib, is there another way to call
up common procedures  used by a collection of main procedures?
Quote:
   -----Original Message-----From: Jamie Hunter

LOGO] Logolib   Notepad likes to save stuff with ".TXT" extension.   Try
typing the filename as "foobar." (ie, place a dot at the end of the
filename)    instead of either "foobar" or "foobar.txt".
Windows understands the "." as meaning "you know exactly what    filename
you want" and doesn't apply any extension to it..

LogoForum messages are archived at:

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:57:34 GMT
 [TECHNICAL] [MSW LOGO] Logolib
what you are describing looks like you have windows configured to hide
known
file extension,
and your file is really
3d_frame.txt
and not
3d_frame
you have to change the options in
windows explorer to see the extensions.

do a right click on the file
and look at the file propertiess, there you should get the full name.

Quote:

> I just tired this again from scratch.  I created a new MSW install then
> cut&paste Yehuda's 3d_frame procedure from his Essential Procedures onto
> Notepad.  I then Saved As "3d_frame" into logolib.  I confirmed that it had
> no extentions, just 3d_frame.  Note that the icon for the ASCII file
> represented a Notepad "link" as opposed to all the other logolib entries.

> I believe the original logolib entries as are special save off the Command
> line.  Something like : save "3d_frame.  Either way, the result is still "I
> don't know how to 3d_frame".

> So I don't know what's blowing up ... maybe it's a header problem.  I'll try
> a few things out of the ordinary to make sure that 3d_frame, etc. are plain
> and simple ASCII file without extensions.  We'll see...

> :-(  edwin

Erich Neuwirth, Computer Supported Didactics Working Group
Visit our SunSITE at http://sunsite.univie.ac.at
Phone: +43-1-4277-38624 Fax: +43-1-4277-9386

Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:34:13 GMT
 [TECHNICAL] [MSW LOGO] Logolib

Quote:

>    AFTER  THOUGHT : I'm  cramming on how to replicate scheme's lambda in
>logo.  Any help would  be most welcome.

It depends what you mean.  If you want anonymous procedures, but using Logo's
(dynamic) scoping rules, it's already available; look up "templates" in the
manual.  The notation is a little messy because you have to use APPLY (or
INVOKE, which is a variant of APPLY) to use these anonymous procedures.

If you want it to work exactly like Scheme, with lexically scoped procedures,
that's a lot harder.  Basically you have to forget about Logo's variables and
keep your own environments as property lists or something.

Fri, 20 Feb 2004 02:42:47 GMT
 [TECHNICAL] [MSW LOGO] Logolib

Quote:

> If you want it to work exactly like Scheme, with lexically scoped procedures,
> that's a lot harder.  Basically you have to forget about Logo's variables and
> keep your own environments as property lists or something.

Interesting... That's, in a nutshell, the way LOOPS works.

Fri, 20 Feb 2004 02:59:39 GMT
 [TECHNICAL] [MSW LOGO] Logolib
Thanks Folks!  I think Yehuda can rest from assistimg my students with
installation problems.  We got this one good!  BTW, if one were creating a
procedure for logolib, should it have "erase" or just "bury".  Also, how
about documentation?  There are all these goodies you folks have come up
with, but no documentation.  And where would one put it?

Brian, I just read up on APPLY and will work with it.  What I wanted to try
was the approach in the first few chapters of "Simply Scheme" where you can
pick the function and the arguments and show the result.  I really like that
approach better (I think) than going through FD 100, Procedures, then
functional programming.  I could just skip turtle graphics completely for a
change.  But I think I'll swing back on turtle graphics because that's
really all I have mastered over time.  Sad isn't it.  All the power in Logo
and all that is generally known of it, are the openning moves.

Hrvoje, what's LOOPS?

:-)  edwin

P.S. - Brian, after the library reported that my request to acquire CSLS is
waiting for another print run, I went to Barnes and Noble to ask where my
order was, and they told me the same thing.  It's just Volume 1 that's going
back to press, right?

The message below is being cross-posted from comp.lang.logo.  Please reply

> If you want it to work exactly like Scheme, with lexically scoped
procedures,
> that's a lot harder.  Basically you have to forget about Logo's variables
and
> keep your own environments as property lists or something.

Interesting... That's, in a nutshell, the way LOOPS works.

Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:32:35 GMT
 [TECHNICAL] [MSW LOGO] Logolib

Quote:

> Hrvoje, what's LOOPS?

Hmm... , a big name for not much really. Stands for Logo Object Oriented
Programming System.

Sort of initialization file that operates on two levels:

First is a Lisp (Scheme) layer that changes some of the most irritating (to
me) Logo concepts, like only true is true (to only false is false), serial AND
OR (so following becomes a valid code; OR EMPTYP :LST FIRST :LST), and
introduces COND, CASE and Scheme LETREC (locally defined procedures).

The second level is a set of high level macros that handle static storage
necessary for OOP. This is where Brian's comment comes in. Static storage (a
separate memory environment) is handled by property lists. Both, objects
(state memory), and virtual methods (functions) are stored as property lists.

The scope (in the OOP layer is changed to static scope -- just like in
LETREC), but the whole implementation relies heavily on Logo's dynamic scope.

Sat, 21 Feb 2004 20:25:39 GMT

 [ 21 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. [TECHNICAL] [MSW LOGO] Logolib

2. LOGO-L> Apple logo/MSW Logo

3. [TECHNICAL] use of dynamic scope (was Logolib)

4. [TECHNICAL] use of dynamic scope (was Logolib)

5. Different behaviour - UCBLOGO, MSW-LOGO, TKTS-LOGO

6. Different behaviour - UCBLOGO, MSW-LOGO, TKTS-LOGO

7. LOGO-L> Re: MSW LOGO hardcopy

8. LOGO-L> msw logo: turtling

9. LOGO-L> RE: MSW Logo and Interfacing

10. LOGO-L> MSW-logo and values