Berkeley Logo 5.1 (freeware) available
Author Message
 Berkeley Logo 5.1 (freeware) available

Release 5.1 of Berkeley Logo is now available by anonymous FTP or Web.
Versions are available for Unix, DOS, Windows, and MacOS.
Berkeley Logo (a/k/a UCBLogo) is FREE SOFTWARE, with source code included.
                                 -------------

Logo is the educational programming language best known for its "turtle
graphics" but also featuring easy and powerful facilities for computing
with words and sentences.  Sample projects included with the Berkeley
Logo distribution range from a tic-tac-toe game to a Pascal compiler and
a Logo implementation of Student, Daniel Bobrow's program that solves
algebra word problems.

Berkeley Logo is distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public
License:  You may redistribute it freely, and you may use it as a base
for developing additional free software, but you may not use it as a base
for commercial software products.  The exact details are included in the
distribution, in the file named GPL.

Advantages of Berkeley Logo:

        * It's free.

        * It comes with source files (in C).

        * Logo programs are completely compatible among Unix, PC, and Mac.

Disadvantages of Berkeley Logo:

        * It's relatively slow.

        * It doesn't do anything fancy about graphics.  (One turtle.)

This announcement has four more parts:
  * How to get Berkeley Logo.
  * Installation instructions.
  * Details about this release.
  * Pointers to other people's Berkeley-Logo-related distributions.

HOW TO GET BERKELEY LOGO:

FTP to ftp.cs.berkeley.edu and get any of the following files:

pub/ucblogo/ucblogo.tar.Z       Unix sources and documentation (compress form)
pub/ucblogo/ucblogo.tar.gz      Unix sources and documentation (gzip format)

pub/ucblogo/blogo.exe           DOS version, PKZIP format, including
                                    executables BL.EXE and UCBLOGO.EXE

pub/ucblogo/ucbwlogosetup.exe   Windows version, self-installing, with
                                    executable UCBWLOGO.EXE

pub/ucblogo/ucblogo.sea         Mac version, StuffIt format, w/executable Logo
pub/ucblogo/ucblogo.sea.hqx     Mac version, BinHexed StuffIt format,
                                    including executable Logo

pub/ucblogo/usermanual          Just the documentation file.

Be sure to use BINARY transfer mode when retrieving the archive files!

Alternatively, you can download Berkeley Logo from the World-Wide Web.
You'll find pointers on http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~bh/

(The filenames above are links to filenames that include the version number,
e.g., blogo51.exe; either name is okay.  Anything other than the current
version, if still online, is in the subdirectory pub/ucblogo/old.)

-----------

The DOS version is in the form of a self-extracting PKZIP archive.
Run BLOGO.EXE ; it will create two files, INSTALL.BAT and INSTALLU.EXE.  Then
run INSTALL to create a C:\UCBLOGO directory with the complete
distribution.  If you want to install
Logo somewhere other than C:\UCBLOGO, you can say
                        installu -d d:\foo\
to put it in d:\foo\ucblogo.  DON'T FORGET THE "-d" PART!

-----------

The Mac version is in the form of a BinHex-converted self-extracting StuffIt
archive.  To install it, just copy to your hard disk, un-BinHex it (this may
be done automatically by your file transfer program), and double-click on it.

-----------

The Unix version is a compressed tar file.  To install it, copy to your
machine, then say
                uncompress ucblogo.tar
                tar -xf ucblogo.tar
                cd ucblogo
                configure
                make
If you have gunzip, you can instead get ucblogo.tar.gz (better compression).

-----------

The DOS, Windows, and Mac versions include a SOURCE subdirectory containing
the C source files used to compile Berkeley Logo.  If you don't want to play
with the code, you can delete this directory and all its contents.  You can
also delete some or all of the contents of the DOCS directory, which has the
usermanual in various formats (postscript, PDF, HTML, INFO, TEXI).  The
HTML files are particularly huge, if you're looking for something to delete.

In the Unix version, if you want to save space, you can delete the entire
ucblogo directory created by tar once you've done "make install".

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Unix version: the makefile compiles with optimization turned off.  This is
necessary to avoid mysterious garbage collection failures.  (NOTE:  On my HP
712, for reasons I don't understand, I had to compile the entire interpreter
without optimization.  But on other platforms, such as PCs running Linux and
FreeBSD, it's sufficient merely to un-optimize mem.c.  If that works on your
machine, you can remove the "-O0" at the end of the CFLAGS line at the
beginning of the makefile, after running configure.)

---------

The DOS distribution includes two executable programs.  BL.EXE runs on any
DOS PC, but is limited to 640K of memory.  UCBLOGO.EXE requires a
286-or-better processor, but is able to take advantage of extended memory if
you have it.  Read the README file for technical details.

The BL.EXE version, for really old 8086 PCs, is frozen at version 3.6,
because the garbage collection algorithm introduced in version 4.0
doesn't work well with really small memory.

---------

The Windows version, named UCBWLOGO.EXE, requires Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000
or later (not 3.1; sorry).  It is distributed as a self-installing setup file.

---------

The Mac distribution is for pre-OS-X Macs, but also works (at least for
some people) in the "classic environment" under OS X.

These days most people can successfully download binary files, so try
ucblogo.sea first, because it's a smaller download.  But if you can't get
that to run, try ucblogo.sea.hqx for a BinHex version.

For an OS X native version, you can use the Unix
distribution.  Thanks to Robert A. Burnham for these instructions:

    Install the contents of the Developer Tools CD that ships with OS
    X onto your system.  OS X comes with a number of great Unix
    packages (e.g. emacs & perl), but the CD will install the
    additional tools needed to build UCB Logo.

    Download and install the most recent version of X Windows,
    XFree86 4.1.0.  This is free software that is available on the web
    and you can download pre-built binaries for Darwin (the Open
    Source component of OS X).  Warning, if you are downloading
    this over a modem, it will take you a while.  Start here:

        http://www.*-*-*.com/

    Download the Unix package for UCB Logo to your OS X
    machine.  I downloaded it from my web browser (IE) and StuffIt
    automatically uncompressed the folder and placed in on my
    desktop.  I then placed the folder into my home directory.

    Next, read the README file and run the 'configure' utility (they are
    both located in the ucblogo folder).  Finally, type 'make all'  and
    the executable program 'logo' will be created in the directory.
    Type 'make install' (as root) to copy the necessary files to /usr/local
    (or wherever you told configure to put them, if you did).

    To try it out, start up X Windows (which you should be able to do
    with the XDarwin icon which XFree86 installs in your
    Applications folder) and type 'logo' at the prompt in one of the
    terminal windows that will be on the screen.  With any luck you'll
    see 'Welcome to Berkley Logo version 5.1'.

THIS RELEASE:

This release fixes several bugs, and also provides an improved version
of the variable-as-procedure notation (FOO and SETFOO instead of :FOO
and MAKE) introduced in the 5.0beta release.  Also there are some small
new features, listed below.

All platforms:
        New variable AllowGetSet must be TRUE to allow the new
        getter/setter notation.  (It's TRUE by default.)

        The first time a getter or setter is used for a given variable,
        an actual (buried) procedure is created so that the next use of
        the same getter/setter won't require error processing.

        The usermanual file is now available in HTML, Postscript, and
        PDF, thanks to Hrvoje Blazevic.

        READRAWLINE operation reads a line (from keyboard or file) with no
        special meaning for backslash, vertical bar, tilde, etc.

        SETPREFIX sets a filename prefix that will be prepended to the
        input to OPENREAD, OPENWRITE, etc., LOAD, and SAVE commands
        along with the OS-appropriate path separator character.  PREFIX
        outputs the current prefix or [] if no prefix in effect.

        Predicates BURIEDP, BURIED?, STEPPEDP, STEPPED?, TRACEDP, TRACED?
        take a contents list, or a list of procedures, or a procedure
        name, and output TRUE if the first name in the list is buried,
        stepped, or traced.  (Only one name is tested; the reason a contents
        list is allowed is so that you can BURIEDP [[] [VARNAME]] or,
        equivalently, BURIEDP NAMELIST "VARNAME.)

        Predicates PLISTP and PLIST? take a word as input, and output TRUE
        iff the property list for that word is nonempty.

        If new variable UnburyOnEdit is TRUE (which it is by default)
        then editing a procedure (or LOADing it from a file) unburies it.
        This is so that the modified version will be included in SAVE.

        If new variable FullPrintP is TRUE (which it is NOT by default)
        then TYPE, PRINT, and SHOW include backslashes or vertical bars
        as needed so that the printed form can be re-read to give the
        same value.  (PO, SAVE, and friends always do this regardless of
        the setting of FullPrintP.)

        ARRAYTOLIST and LISTTOARRAY promoted from library to primitive,
        for efficiency (so that the timing benefits of random access
        arrays aren't swamped by the interpretation costs to convert).

        Error (and other) messages can be translated to a non-English
        language without recompiling Logo, by replacing the file Messages
        in the logolib directory with a native-language one.  Details are
        at the end of the usermanual file.

        Documentation supplied for some formerly undocumented primitives
        (FOREVER, STEPPED, TRACED, LOG10, MINUS) in help system.

read more »

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 02:12:03 GMT
 Berkeley Logo 5.1 (freeware) available

Quote:

> Release 5.1 of Berkeley Logo is now available.

Thanks, Brian, I can't wait to get this loaded at the school.

Jeff Sandys

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 05:05:48 GMT
 Berkeley Logo 5.1 (freeware) available

Quote:

>Release 5.1 of Berkeley Logo is now available by anonymous FTP or Web.

I can download the Mac version but get a permission error with
<ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/ucblogo/ucbwlogo51setup.exe>

<ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/ucblogo/ucbwlogosetup.exe>

--

Andy Dent BSc MACS AACM, Software Developer, A.D. Software, Western Australia
OOFILE - Database, Reports, Graphs, GUI for c++ on Mac, Unix & Windows

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:02:09 GMT
 Berkeley Logo 5.1 (freeware) available

Quote:

>I can download the Mac version but get a permission error with
><ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/ucblogo/ucbwlogo51setup.exe>

Oops, sorry -- it's fixed now.

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:19:54 GMT

1. Berkeley Logo 5.1 (freeware) available

2. Berkeley Logo 5.1 (freeware) available

3. Berkeley Logo 5.1 - not yet downloaded successfully

4. Berkeley Logo 5.3 released (freeware)

5. Berkeley Logo 5.2 available for download

6. Berkeley Logo 3.0 available

7. Berkeley Logo 3.3 available

8. Berkeley Logo 4.1 available for downloading

9. Berkeley Logo 2.9 available

10. Free Berkeley Logo version 3.2 available

11. MswLogo V3.0 (Berkeley Logo for Windows) is now available

12. Berkeley Logo version 2.7 available