Biology and introductory programming?
Author Message
 Biology and introductory programming?

Quote:
> > Danny,

> > Could I post this message to another programming language email list,
> > as an example of the kind of synergy I would like that language to
> > have? The programming languajes is Logo.

> Sure, no problem!
> Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 17:02:22 -0800 (PST)

> Subject: [Tutor] Biology and introductory programming?

> Hi everyone,

> Just out of curiosity, how many of us here have an interest in
> "bioinformatics"?  I've just bought the book "Beginning Perl for
> Bioinformatics", and it appears to be an introductory test for biologists
> who are trying to smash their brains against Perl.  *grin*

> In all seriousness though, it looks like a great book for people who
> haven't programmed before.  Kirby has mentioned using python to play
> around with mathematical ideas; the same synergy would probably work with
> molecular biology too.  Using molecular biology as a motivater for
> learning a programming language looks really exciting!

> For example, we can start talking about a DNA fragment:

> ###
> dna = "ATTAAGCATTAAA"
> ###

> and show how we can "mutate" such an example by zapping it:

> ###
> def mutate(dna):
>     """Introduce a single point mutation into a sequence of dna."""
>     bases = ['A', 'T', 'G', 'C']
>     position_of_mutation = random.randrange(len(dna))
>     original_nucleotide = dna[position_of_mutation]
>     bases.remove(original_nucleotide)
>     return (dna[:position_of_mutation]
>             + random.choice(bases)
>             + dna[position_of_mutation + 1:])
> ###

> Here's an test of the DNA mutation:

> ###
> 'AAACA'
> 'AATCA'
> 'ATAGG'
> ###

> Molecular biology is very much about structure and sequences, so this sort
> of stuff seems easy to approach from a programming standpoint.

LogoForum messages are archived at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 16 May 2004 22:07:57 GMT

1. Logic Programming as an Introductory Programming Paradigm

2. Logic Programming an Introductory Programming Paradigm

3. Logic Programming as an introductory programming paradigm

4. Logic Programming as an Introductory Programming Paradigm

5. Logic Programming as an Introductory Programming Paradigm

6. Smalltalk as introductory programming language?

7. Introductory Functional Programming Syllabii for U.K. Degrees

8. Functional Programming - Introductory Texts

9. ANNOUNCE: New introductory programming book

10. ANNOUNCE: New introductory programming book

11. Scheme as an introductory programming language

12. Scheme as an introductory programming language