LOGO-L> Re: Logo, Bill Gates and teaching pupils to THINK
Author Message
 LOGO-L> Re: Logo, Bill Gates and teaching pupils to THINK

Alan Sturgess said:
Quote:
>I really have to fight to get them to attack ideas or problems
>for themlseves once they are beyond the basic sorts of pattern or

command.

Quote:

>So, for example, suppose you get your students interested in solving
>puzzles, such as my favorite:

"fight to get them"   "get your students interested"   I wonder if the
whole relationship between teacher and student should be radically
changed.  More like considering the student a customer and the
customer_is_always_right sort of mindset on the teachers part.

But back to the main point of this post of mine.

Brian said:

Quote:
>we should try to situate Logo among
>non-computer mathematical activities.

Recently there was an article in the Seattle Times convincing the
readers that children really do enjoy thinking.  The article was about
the booming number of young chess players.  There is a rapidly
increasing number of chess clubs, chess competitions, etc. in the
Seattle area.  And I notice that spelling bees and math contests are
enthusiastically supported all over the world.

Also computer games are very difficult intellectual games that are
much enjoyed by little children.

I will tell you, though I hope none of you think I am proud of the
fact, that just after I obtained my first "real" computer I bought
Myst.  I was looking forward to playing this computer game that I had
heard so much about.

Well I tried and I tried and I tried and then I gave up.  It is no
longer installed on the computer.  This over-schooled or whatever the
cause of my intellectual handicap geezer could not/would not do what
most modern little kids love to do.

I am reading "Growing up digital" by Don Tapscott, 1998.   He mentions
Papert many times.   Since Brian and Bill have mentioned some of their
favorite books, and as a result I am reading those that I had not
already read, I thought that I would mention that one of my old-time
favorites is  "Education and Ecstasy," George B. Leonard, 1968.
Dale
---

Tue, 03 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Re: Logo, Bill Gates and teaching pupils to THINK

Quote:
>"fight to get them"   "get your students interested"   I wonder if the
>whole relationship between teacher and student should be radically
>changed.  More like considering the student a customer and the
>customer_is_always_right sort of mindset on the teachers part.

Yes and no.  I do agree with you that a lot of the "fight" comes from the way
the institutional context penalizes thinking, and in a better context we see
much more spontaneous thinking from kids.  But when I was a high school
teacher, there were definitely times when I told some particular kid what I
thought he should do.  What made it okay was that my edict *wasn't* backed
up by the forces of grades, etc. (I didn't give any), but *was* backed up by
the kid's respect for the fact that I knew more than he did about something
he wanted to learn.

Quote:
>Recently there was an article in the Seattle Times convincing the
>readers that children really do enjoy thinking.  The article was about
>the booming number of young chess players.  There is a rapidly
>increasing number of chess clubs, chess competitions, etc. in the
>Seattle area.  And I notice that spelling bees and math contests are
>enthusiastically supported all over the world.

Amen!  (Except for the part about spelling bees.  That's about memorizing,
isn't it?)

Tue, 03 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. LOGO-L> Logo, Bill Gates and teaching pupils to THINK

2. LOGO-L> Re: Logo needs Bill Gates

3. LOGO-L> The School of Bill Gates

4. LOGO-L> Re: self-taught (was: Logo needs Bill Gates)

5. LOGO-L> teaching logo to young kids

6. LOGO-L> teaching logo to young kids

7. LOGO-L> Free Logo Teaching Materials

8. LOGO-L> a teaching program for logo