Berkeley Logo 5.1 (freeware) available
Author Message
 Berkeley Logo 5.1 (freeware) available

Quote:
> Release 5.1 of Berkeley Logo is now available by anonymous
FTP or Web.
> Versions are available for Unix, DOS, Windows, and MacOS.
> Berkeley Logo (a/k/a UCBLogo) is FREE SOFTWARE, with
source code
> included.

Just in time, Brian. I plan on using Berkeley Logo in my teacher
PD project (as well as with Grade 12 Computer Science this
year). Our school division has a large number of SunRay thin
clients so we need a solid version of Logo that will run on Unix of
all flavour, as well as all the iMacs and other Macs, and
Windows boxes that are still in our division. The consistency
between the Win, Mac and Unix versions means that our
teachers can play with Logo at any place in the schools or at
home. Sadly other versions of Logo that I know of (Terrapin,
MSW) don't cover all three OSes.

You made my day, and quite possibly my year - I'll let you know
how it turns out ;^)

Rob Wall
Technology Coordinator - Battlefords School Division

LogoForum messages are archived at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:02:29 GMT
 Berkeley Logo 5.1 (freeware) available
Has anyone used both Berkeley Logo and MSWLogo ?
I am a new user of MSWLogo and would like to know whether there are good
reasons to try Berkeley version as well.
Looking forward to your comment.

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:29:55 GMT
 Berkeley Logo 5.1 (freeware) available

Quote:

>Has anyone used both Berkeley Logo and MSWLogo ?
>I am a new user of MSWLogo and would like to know whether there are good
>reasons to try Berkeley version as well.

The underlying language processor in MSWLogo *is* Berkeley Logo, so the
two have more similarities than differences.  But MSWLogo adds many
Windows-specific capabilities.

So there are only two reasons why you might want UCBLogo as well:

1.  The one significant incompatibility:  MSWLogo doesn't support an
interactive conversation between user and program in a single window;
instead, it pops up a dialog box whenever the program wants the user
to type something.

2.  You might want to work on platforms other than Windows.

Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:35:57 GMT
 Berkeley Logo 5.1 (freeware) available
Brian,

Thanks for your reply.

I am still at an early stage exploring MSWLogo.

I am surprised to learn from you that " MSWLogo doesn't support an
interactive conversation between user and program in a single window;
instead, it pops up a dialog box whenever the program wants the user to
type something."

I don't  think this is an acceptable 'feature'. I am thinking of developing
intereactive data input program using MSWLOGO. As far as you know, is the
developer of MSWKOGO aware of this shortcoming and does he have any
timetable to enhance the existing 'feature'?

Please advise again.

Quote:

> The message below is being cross-posted from comp.lang.logo.  Please reply

> >Has anyone used both Berkeley Logo and MSWLogo ?
> >I am a new user of MSWLogo and would like to know whether there are good
> >reasons to try Berkeley version as well.

> The underlying language processor in MSWLogo *is* Berkeley Logo, so the
> two have more similarities than differences.  But MSWLogo adds many
> Windows-specific capabilities.

> So there are only two reasons why you might want UCBLogo as well:

> 1.  The one significant incompatibility:  MSWLogo doesn't support an
> interactive conversation between user and program in a single window;
> instead, it pops up a dialog box whenever the program wants the user
> to type something.

> 2.  You might want to work on platforms other than Windows.

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:51:12 GMT
 Berkeley Logo 5.1 (freeware) available

Quote:

> As far as you know, is the
>developer of MSWLOGO aware of this shortcoming and does he have any
>timetable to enhance the existing 'feature'?

Yes, he is -- or rather, he's aware that *I* think it's a shortcoming -- and
no, he doesn't.  We argue about it all the time.  :-)

Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:28:47 GMT
 Berkeley Logo 5.1 (freeware) available

Quote:

>>But if it's happened with previous downloads, it sounds like you're
>>having trouble using anonymous FTP.

When I tried to access the ftp site using IE 5.5 the program appeared
to be stuck in a loop (no site display but the IE form flashing). On pressing
STOP the site display appeared and I could download the program.
Mike

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Tue, 20 Jan 2004 04:48:01 GMT

1. Berkeley Logo 5.1 (freeware) available

2. Berkeley Logo 5.1 (freeware) available

3. Berkeley Logo 5.1 - not yet downloaded successfully

4. Berkeley Logo 5.3 released (freeware)

5. Berkeley Logo 5.2 available for download

6. Berkeley Logo 3.0 available

7. Berkeley Logo 3.3 available

8. Berkeley Logo 4.1 available for downloading

9. Berkeley Logo 2.9 available

10. Free Berkeley Logo version 3.2 available

11. MswLogo V3.0 (Berkeley Logo for Windows) is now available

12. Berkeley Logo version 2.7 available