Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 7:46 AM
Subject: [LogoForum] a feedback success story

> [snipped]

> I experimented with using sliders instead of textboxes, but I didn't like
how
> much space they consumed and the tiny size of the numbers.  Bob agreed
that
> he didn't much care for that interface either.  He added,
> "I've seen a technique in several Date/time oriented programs that might
> work for you.  In the bottom right of your screen, in the systray, double
> click on the
> date. Look at the year and the time. They seem to use squashed vertical
> scroll bars, unless they're spin controls.
> It's a nice effect, good use of screen space etc.
> I'm not sure what controls you have in MW, but based on the problem I
found
> earlier, you might have what this would take."

> In fact, MicroWorlds is not set up to implement something like this; even
if
> you make a squashed textbox so that only one line shows at a time,
clicking
> on the up and down triangles does not do anything to activate each exposed
> line.  But his idea got me thinking that maybe I could come up with
another
> way to make something happen when you click on little triangles.  By
hatching
> 6 more turtles, and creating 14 new turtle shapes (for  two blue triangles
> pointing left and right and the numbers 1 - 12, color-coded to match the
> Cuisenaire rods), and completely reworking the code, I developed a new
> interface so that two "number turtles" are each framed by a left triangle
and
> a right triangle.  (I also gave each of the new shapes a rectangular
border
> of extra white space so that one doesn't have to click exactly on the
visible
> part of the shape .)  Clicking on a number or a right triangle changes
that
> number turtle's shape to the next highest number, and clicking on the left
> triangle decreases its shape value by 1.  At the same time, the value of
two
> behind-the-scenes variables is shifting, so that the computer can use
these
> values to create the rectangular grids representing the multiplication
facts
> and display the numerical answers on demand.  So now the project is
> glitch-free, more visually-appealing, and more user-friendly than anything
> could have come up with entirely on my own.

> [snipped]

LogoForum messages are archived at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:38:04 GMT

1. a feedback success story

2. a feedback success story

3. REALbasic Success Story

4. A Smalltalk success story

5. Re. Consulting vs Contracting / Smalltalk Success Stories?

6. Success Story of the Month

7. Success stories ?

8. Success Story's

9. Success stories

10. Success stories ?

11. Jim Kane, or Visual Writer Success Stories?

12. Jim Kane, or Visual Writer Success Stories?