LOGO-L> Music & Maths (THE RULE OF FIVE!!!)
Author Message
 LOGO-L> Music & Maths (THE RULE OF FIVE!!!)

The recent calculus reform movement advocated the use of the "RULE OF
FOUR" in exploraning a mathematical concept. Few years ago I worked
with my calculus students using LOGO (At that time I had LOGO under DOS
only). We extended the rule of four to the rule of five where we added
the AUDITORY as excellent way of extendeing the exploration process.
The logo primimitive TONE played a centralk role in exploraing
function concepts.
This approach shoul I believe be considered in all mathematical
activities. Research in this direction is a must!

Sun, 01 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Music & Maths (THE RULE OF FIVE!!!)
Quote:

>      The recent calculus reform movement advocated the use of the
>      "RULE OF
>      FOUR" in exploraning a mathematical concept. Few years ago I
>      worked
>      with my calculus students using LOGO (At that time I had
>      LOGO under DOS
>      only). We extended the rule of four to the rule of five
>      where we added
>      the AUDITORY as excellent way of extendeing the exploration
>      process.
>      The logo primimitive TONE played a centralk role in
>      exploraing
>      function concepts.
>      This approach shoul I believe be considered in all
>      mathematical
>      activities. Research in this direction is a must!

> I've been using TONE for years to teach the concepts of list, list
> processing and (tail) recursion.

> Regards,

> Yehuda

>     _/    _/     _/ _/_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/
>    _/   _/     _/_/    _/          _/
>   _/_/_/     _/  _/   _/        _/
>  _/   _/   _/_/_/_/  _/      _/
> _/     _/_/      _/ _/     _/_/_/_/

> http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/lab/2276/

> Very interesting! Lists to me are vectors. I believe that tone should

be used in all mathematical activities. But I can't see how you used it
and for what. For what I did in fuction concepts, I used tone to
describe the behavior of a function. Is it increasing? Decreasing?
Constant? Continuous? Dos it seem to have a limit? etc
Can you give us more about your experience?

Should it be used with very young children in Number Concepts? It sound
a great idea at least to me!!

Mon, 02 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. LOGO-L> LOGO and Maths

2. LOGO-L>Trefoil Knot Maths

3. LOGO-L> Maths File previously Uploaded

4. LOGO-L> International Maths Journal

5. LOGO-L> International maths journal

6. LOGO-L> Re: Five requests for information

7. LOGO-L> Five requests for information

8. LOGO-L> Re: Fractal music

9. LOGO-L> Fractal music

10. LOGO-L> Music Tree

11. LOGO-L> random music