[Technical] Logo development work
Author Message
 [Technical] Logo development work

    Renaming thread as you suggested. I'm  still toying with ideas while I
build the core interpreter. I have to give  credit to Brian Harvey though
as I'm using ucblogo to help my understanding of  why things work the way
they do :-).   My aim  is to revamp the UI somewhat and incorporate some
new ideas while trying to make  it more attractive to 6+ grade. Some
thoughts, is that I want to make it  "{*filter*}" capable. I don't know how
realistic that's going to be, depends how  fast I can get the interpreter
to go. It uses Unicode for it's  strings giving much richer locale
capabilities (I'll probably build  two versions, a natively ANSI version
that works across the board, and a  pure Unicode version that'll work
faster on Win2k/XP). Both versions will  still use Unicode for string
storage). Amongst the features, I want to be able  to allow
proceedures/variables to be represented  graphically.   I will  definately
add primatives to allow a limited set of automation. This allows a
simple COM Server DLL to be created in the ATL/MFC framework  (note, this
isn't ActiveX). Somewhere on the horizen, allowing forms... maybe  I'll use
MSHTML to accomplish this, so forms can be created in frontpage or
some DHTML editor. The problem here is trying to keep the programming
simple and consistent. However I do this, I will be allowing ActiveX
controls on  the forms, which I've done enough times before that the
details don't worry  me. It's just a case of trying to pick a friendly way
for someone to do  something fun with it.   Jamie
Quote:
   -----Original Message-----From: Samuel

[Mswlogo]   I did search the Microsoft Developer's Network    (MSDN) site
for OCX before writing my reply, and based on that search and my    memory
I decided that OCX's are primarily a VB thing. I did not spend much    time
on the search and my memory is fuzzy, though. I know that OLE controls are
predecessors of ActiveX controls, but I    admit that I do not remember
what extension is used for them.       Programming ActiveX controls can be
real    complicated, as I am sure you know. To the best of my
understanding, there are    basically three things that an ActiveX control
can be or manner that an    ActiveX control can be used; they are client,
server and container. It sounds    like you are trying to make your logo
interpreter a client, but the    differences between a client and a
container are sure unclear to    me.       There was an OLE sample program
called "Turtle"    that seems to not be available in the MSDN anymore. It
is not even in the MSDN    archives but I am 99% sure it did exist. I never
looked at the details of what    it did but it was my impression that it
was an OLE server of some type. I need    to dig out my old CD's and find
it.       Most of this discussion is probably not of    interest to most of
the subscribers so you can send me a message offline from    this mailing
list / newsgroup if you wish. We probably should at least create    a new
topic (thread). I think that enough people would be interested in
knowing a bit more about your interpreter, so if you would like to describe
it    a bit more, then a new topic for that would be good. Eventhough you
do not    have it working yet, I think people would be interested in
knowing what you    are trying to do.

LogoForum messages are archived at:
< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;
http://www.*-*-*.com/

< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ; Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:24:42 GMT
 [Technical] Logo development work
    I am sorry for being picky but when you  say "COM Server DLL  to be
created in the ATL/MFC framework" I am not sure if the Logo interpreter is
the server or the  client.   I do not know much about DirectX but it is
Microsoft's solution for games in a Windows environment. Would that  help?
  I think that Logo would really shine if OpenGL were  used; have you
considered that? It might be very useful for a single-source  version.
Quote:
   ----- Original Message -----    From:    Jamie    Hunter    To:

Subject: [LogoForum] [Technical] Logo    development work      Renaming
[...]

[Technical] [Mswlogo]     [snipped]

LogoForum messages are archived at:
< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;
http://www.*-*-*.com/

< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ; Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:28:42 GMT
 [Technical] Logo development work
    Don't  appologize :-). The Logo interpreter is the client (but will
eventually  have an automation interface, so it will itself be a COM
server). "simple COM  Server DLL" mentioned below is for extensions. Saying
"server" makes it  sound frightening, so I'll use the phase "plugin".   I'm
familiar with DirectX. My main concern with DirectX is that it'll restrict
usage  to certain computers, and cannot be used (or at least certain
aspects of it)  over terminal server or remote desktop connection.   I have
definately considered and will probably use OpenGL. I've never used OpenGL
before so that will be new territory for me.   Jamie
Quote:
   -----Original Message-----From: Samuel

development work   I am sorry for being picky but when you
say "COM Server DLL to be created in the    ATL/MFC framework" I am not
sure if    the Logo interpreter is the server or the client.       I do not
know much about DirectX but it is    Microsoft's solution for games in a
Windows environment. Would that    help?       I think that Logo would
really shine if OpenGL    were used; have you considered that? It might be
very useful for a    single-source version.
     ----- Original Message -----      From:      Jamie      Hunter

PM     Subject: [LogoForum] [Technical] Logo      development work
[...]

[Technical] [Mswlogo]       [snipped]

  archived at: http://www.*-*-*.com/
  use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

LogoForum messages are archived at:
< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;
http://www.*-*-*.com/

< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ; Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:27:37 GMT
 [Technical] Logo development work
    I assume then that (at least initially) will be  capable of using
objects such as are used by VB with a CreateObject, correct? If  so, then
instead of "plugin" you perhaps could say  "object" as VB does. Certainly
that is a minor issue.   I agree that with the capability of using
automation objects Logo can be much more powerful. That could be a major
improvement.

Subject: RE: [LogoForum] [Technical] Logo    development work      Don't
appologize :-). The Logo interpreter is the client (but will    eventually
have an automation interface, so it will itself be a COM server).
"simple COM Server DLL" mentioned below is for extensions. Saying
"server" makes it sound frightening, so I'll use the phase    "plugin".
I'm    familiar with DirectX. My main concern with DirectX is that it'll
restrict    usage to certain computers, and cannot be used (or at least
certain aspects of    it) over terminal server or remote desktop
connection.       I    have definately considered and will probably use
OpenGL. I've never used    OpenGL before so that will be new territory for
me.       Jamie
     -----Original Message-----From: Samuel

Logo development work     I am sorry for being picky but when you
say "COM Server DLL to be created in the      ATL/MFC framework" I am not
sure if      the Logo interpreter is the server or the client.           I
do not know much about DirectX but it is      Microsoft's solution for
games in a Windows environment. Would that      help?           I think
that Logo would really shine if OpenGL      were used; have you considered
that? It might be very useful for a      single-source version.
       ----- Original Message -----        From:        Jamie        Hunter

9:09        PM       Subject: [LogoForum] [Technical] Logo
development work              Renaming thread as you        suggested.
[...]

Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:39:25 GMT
 [Technical] Logo development work
    Then  "Object" be it :-)
Quote:
   -----Original Message-----From: Samuel

development work   I assume then that (at least initially) will be
capable of using objects such as are used by VB with a CreateObject,
correct?    If so, then instead of "plugin" you perhaps could    say
"object" as VB does. Certainly that is a minor issue.       I agree that
with the capability of using    automation objects Logo can be much more
powerful. That could be a major    improvement.
     ----- Original Message -----      From:      Jamie      Hunter

AM     Subject: RE: [LogoForum] [Technical]      Logo development work
[...]

Thursday, August 30, 2001          9:09 PM         Subject: [LogoForum]
[...]

DLL's [Technical] [Mswlogo]           [snipped]

      archived at: http://www.*-*-*.com/
      use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

    archived at: http://www.*-*-*.com/
    use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

  archived at: http://www.*-*-*.com/
  use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

LogoForum messages are archived at:
< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;
http://www.*-*-*.com/

< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ; Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:39:49 GMT
 [Technical] Logo development work
Much, if not all of this has already been implemented in the python
language, as Python's development is open source this might be a good source
of code / ideas to implement in Logo.
See:
www.python.org
pygame.org

Ben

Quote:
> [...]

> was an OLE server of some type. I need    to dig out my old CD's and find
> it.       Most of this discussion is probably not of    interest to most
of
> the subscribers so you can send me a message offline from    this mailing
> list / newsgroup if you wish. We probably should at least create    a new
> topic (thread). I think that enough people would be interested in
> knowing a bit more about your interpreter, so if you would like to
describe
> it    a bit more, then a new topic for that would be good. Eventhough you
> do not    have it working yet, I think people would be interested in
> knowing what you    are trying to do.

> LogoForum messages are archived at:
> < http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

>   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the

Sun, 21 Mar 2004 02:28:05 GMT

1. [Technical] Logo development work

2. Boston, MA -- Technical Project Leader - Mainframe Development / Financial Services

3. Boston, MA -- Technical Project Leader - Mainframe Development / Financial Services

4. Boston, MA -- Technical Project Leader - Mainframe Development / Financial Services

5. Boston, MA -- Technical Project Leader - Mainframe Development / Financial Services

6. Logo Works: Lessons in Logo

7. [TECHNICAL] [MSW LOGO] Logolib

8. [TECHNICAL] [MSW LOGO] Logolib

9. Seeking Technical Writing or Programming Work

10. How cold boot works??? (technical)

11. Logo OOP developments?