LOGO-L> Re: Help
Author Message
 LOGO-L> Re: Help

Quote:
>We use MSWLogo in our school.  The project is to draw a simple house.
>This involves building the walls (simple enough) and the a roof.  It was
>with the roof my problems started.  For the rest of the program I used
>multiples of 5 for all the values and angles of multiples of 45 degrees.
>Yet for some reason on the roof the only way it will line up is to add
>one or two to the forward movement,

>to house
>ppt
>walls 30 60
>fd 30
>rt 45
>fd 10
>rt 45
>fd 46 <---
>rt 45
>fd 10
>end

Ok, I assume that when you issue the following commands the turtle is looking UP.
fd 30
rt 45
fd 10

Now think about this:

With the "fd 10" command, how much are you moving _horizontally_ really?
Is it 5? Is it 10? No, because if it were you wouldn't have this problem.
How much is it? Is it more that 5? Is it more that 10? Is it an integer number?
This is a great opportunity to learn some very interesting things :)

Daniel

Sat, 28 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Re: Help
The geometry is much simpler if you pitch the roof at 30 or 60 degrees.

Brian Mulligan, Sligo, Ireland.

P.S. i haven't used LOGO for a few years now.  I used to use it to teach
programming principles to 3rd level engineering students, originally because
it was the best language available on the Commodore 64.  I stopped because
we move to DOS and was under pressure to use a more relevant language.  Now
that I'm a more confident lecturer I think i may start it again.  What I'd
like to do is to make my classes available as web pages and if possible
embed the LOGO in the Web pages (I've already done this in JavaScript but
that is straightforward as it can be interpreted by Web browsers - see my
web page)  I have a few questions.

1) Has anyone used LOGO at 3rd level education (other than teacher
training)?
2) has anyone heard of a web-site that will accept LOGO commands and
generate an image of the resulting graphic?
3) Is anyone working on a Java based LOGO interpreter that would work
through a web browser?
4) Are there any LOGO tutorials for beginners on the web that I could use
for my students?
5) Could someone reccomend a Windows based LOGO interpreter or point me to a
site that would have some comparisons?

Thanks

Brian.

Institute of Technology, Sligo, Ireland
http://www.itsligo.ie/staff/bmulligan
1st Annual Irish Educational Technology Users' Conference
http://www.itsligo.ie/staff/bmulligan/web/EdTech2000.htm

> >We use MSWLogo in our school.  The project is to draw a simple house.
> >This involves building the walls (simple enough) and the a roof.  It was
> >with the roof my problems started.  For the rest of the program I used
> >multiples of 5 for all the values and angles of multiples of 45 degrees.
> >Yet for some reason on the roof the only way it will line up is to add
> >one or two to the forward movement,

> >to house
> >ppt
> >walls 30 60