LOGO-L> Perspective OFF
Author Message
 LOGO-L> Perspective OFF

I immensely enjoy the Icosahedrons and other 3D explorations.  Last spring
on of my seniors complained that class had become insufficiently
challenging for him. To the dismay of his classmates, the next day I
challenged them all to draw a 3D versions of the Double Helix!
Many varied attempts, brought out different styles, approaches etc.

However, a problem I never solved was how to turn off Perspective mode.
Even though Reset seem to reset mouse directions etc. the plane is still
tipped. When I, or other students, wanted to return to other projects, or
explore questions raised during the 3D explorations we had to exit and
reload MSWLogo.

Is there an easier way?

Bob

"To create New Answers;  you must ask New Questions."
- Bob Gorman
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 20 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Perspective OFF
The PERSPECTIVE command is grouped with "Drawing Mode Commands".

MSWLogo starts in (2D) WRAP mode and there is also (2D) FENCE
mode, (2D) WINDOW mode. MSWLogo adds a 4th drawing mode called
(3D) PERSPECTIVE mode.

So all you have to do is choose another drawng mode, like:

WRAP

> I immensely enjoy the Icosahedrons and other 3D explorations.  Last spring
> on of my seniors complained that class had become insufficiently
> challenging for him. To the dismay of his classmates, the next day I
> challenged them all to draw a 3D versions of the Double Helix!
> Many varied attempts, brought out different styles, approaches etc.

> However, a problem I never solved was how to turn off Perspective mode.
> Even though Reset seem to reset mouse directions etc. the plane is still
> tipped. When I, or other students, wanted to return to other projects, or
> explore questions raised during the 3D explorations we had to exit and
> reload MSWLogo.

> Is there an easier way?

> Bob

> "To create New Answers;  you must ask New Questions."
> - Bob Gorman
> http://www.kncell.org

Wed, 20 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Perspective OFF

It's not label that's removing leading spaces it's logo.

Use backslashed WORDs to force spaces.

Label "123
Label "\ \ \ ABC

Also be careful of variable pitch fonts. They are very tricky
to "predict" placement. Use a font like Courier New where each
character is the same size.

You have the right idea with LABELSIZE but labels are drawn
from the upper left (standard in windows) and blocks are drawn
from lower left. So you have to move down the height of the
character to erase it with BITBLOCK.

cs
setfloodcolor [255 255 255]
label "333
labelsize "333
You don't say what to do with [30 24]
bk 24
bitblock 30 24

Quote:

> George,
> I guess I need to better understand the relationship between labels and their fonts and the graphics screen.

> Simply, what I want to do is
>         1. draw a grid
>         2. within a "cell" write say "18"
>         3. within the same "cell" later write say "8"
>                 the "8" must stay put but I want to erase the "1"

> Label seems to suppress leading spaces
> hence :
> rt 90
> label [A B C D]
> lt 90 pu fd 20 rt 90
> label [ A B C D]
> ;yield the same thing

> Label 18
> then:
> label "
> or label [ ]
> do nothing.

> I also tried:
> show labelsize 1
> [15 24]
> setfloodcolor [255 255 255]     ;white
> bitblock 15 24

> it did nothing...

> I also tried:

> to fonttest
> setpc [0 0 0]   ;black
> rt 90
> label [ A B C D]
> ; same as label [A B C D] since LABEL supresses leading spaces
> pd
> square 100                      ;draw a box to prevent spilling over
> setfc [255 255 0]       ;yellow
> pu rt 45 fd 40 fill bk 40 lt 45 pd
> ;Middle section of "B" & "D" not filled in!

> ;Also tried setting the pen color to the background color
> ;close but no cigar
> setpc [255 255 0]       ;yellow
> label [ A B C D]
> ;leaves traces of black (use zoom to see better!)
> end

> What am I missing?

> Bob

> "To create New Answers;  you must ask New Questions."
> - Bob Gorman
> http://www.kncell.org

http://www.softronix.com/

Tue, 16 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Perspective OFF

No problem at all. Sometimes I feel my questions are too detailed or
version specific and others wouldn't be interested. However even my own
experience contradicts that. Many times a topic starts off, and it seems
like I wouldn't be interested, but after a few posts it brings up larger
issues. I guess its far easier to debug & re-program ones Logo code than
one's hard-wired past.

Right now I'm trying to build a VB-like grid control in Logo, hence my many
questions about fonts and placement of text. Once it works, the real
challenge will be color syntax style writing.

Bob

"To create New Answers;  you must ask New Questions."
- Bob Gorman
http://www.kncell.org

Wed, 17 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Perspective OFF

If all you want is to erase some LABELed text, you might prefer to re-LABEL
it, with the pen having the background color:

Quote:
>     setpc screencolor

Unfortunately, this leaves "droppings".
Try
cs rt 90
label 36
setpc screencolor
label int 36/10
(ZOOM IN if you need to)

The simplist would be LABEL <space>
but I haven't figured that out yet. (I'm experimenting with [ ], [\ ], etc.
but can't seem to get backslash to behave.
My goal is to right justify numbers within cells.
(Even tried  "label char 32", but no cigar!)

I finally crafted a workable fixed width & readable font:
----------
to helpmult
Make "mathfont [[Courier] -16 12 0 700 0 0 0 0 3 2 1 49]
setlabelfont :mathfont
cs rt 90
pd ssheet 10 10 18 24
end

to sscell :cellhgt :cellwth
rect :cellhgt :cellwth
fd 2 label :colval*:rownum bk 2
end

to ssheet :rows :cols :cellhgt :cellwth
(local "rownum "colval)
repeat :rows [
         make "rownum repcount-1
         repeat :cols [
                 make "colval repcount-1
                 sscell :cellwth :cellhgt
                 fd :cellwth]
         bk :cols*:cellwth rt 90 fd :cellhgt lt 90]
pu lt 90 fd :rows*:cellhgt rt 90
end

to rect :side1 :side2
repeat 2 [fd :side1 rt 90 fd :side2 rt 90]
end
----------

The next table is what I call the "endings" table, which is the above right
justified and only the units digit visible. This is to assist solving
cryptarithms or "word arithmetic" problems.

Bob

"To create New Answers;  you must ask New Questions."
- Bob Gorman
http://www.kncell.org

Thu, 18 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Perspective OFF
Just like PENREVERSE unless you redraw exactly what you drew the
first time, you are not gauranteed to erase it with a raster display.

Why would you try to erase 36 with a 3?

This works fine.

cs rt 90
label 36
setpc screencolor
label 36

Were you trying to just erase the 3?
Is the droppings the "6" or are there other droppings around the 3.
I did not see any droppings using Courier.

But to be safe erase the whole orginal as above and then put back
what you want.

Sorry, I just tested with spaces, spaces don't erase.
You can use spaces to position the character (with a fixed pitch font
such as Courier New) but a space does not "erase".

You can see characters don't replace what's there, they are "strokes",
just like vectors with the turtle. You have to retrace your steps with
a white pen or erase the whole area.

cs
label "1
label "2

Quote:

> If all you want is to erase some LABELed text, you might prefer to re-LABEL it, with the pen having the background
> color:

> >     setpc screencolor

> Unfortunately, this leaves "droppings".
> Try
> cs rt 90
> label 36
> setpc screencolor
> label int 36/10
> (ZOOM IN if you need to)

> The simplist would be LABEL <space>
> but I haven't figured that out yet. (I'm experimenting with [ ], [\ ], etc. but can't seem to get backslash to behave.
> My goal is to right justify numbers within cells.
> (Even tried  "label char 32", but no cigar!)

> I finally crafted a workable fixed width & readable font:
> ----------
> to helpmult
> Make "mathfont [[Courier] -16 12 0 700 0 0 0 0 3 2 1 49]
> setlabelfont :mathfont
> cs rt 90
> pd ssheet 10 10 18 24
> end

> to sscell :cellhgt :cellwth
> rect :cellhgt :cellwth
> fd 2 label :colval*:rownum bk 2
> end

> to ssheet :rows :cols :cellhgt :cellwth
> (local "rownum "colval)
> repeat :rows [
>         make "rownum repcount-1
>         repeat :cols [
>                 make "colval repcount-1
>                 sscell :cellwth :cellhgt
>                 fd :cellwth]
>         bk :cols*:cellwth rt 90 fd :cellhgt lt 90]
> pu lt 90 fd :rows*:cellhgt rt 90
> end

> to rect :side1 :side2
> repeat 2 [fd :side1 rt 90 fd :side2 rt 90]
> end
> ----------

> The next table is what I call the "endings" table, which is the above right justified and only the units digit
> visible. This is to assist solving cryptarithms or "word arithmetic" problems.

> Bob

> "To create New Answers;  you must ask New Questions."
> - Bob Gorman
> http://www.kncell.org

http://www.softronix.com/

Thu, 18 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Perspective OFF
This is great idea and probably the cleanest most efficient way to do it.

Good suggestion.

P.S. I'm reading my email backwards :-)

Quote:

> <snip>

> > So you have to move down the height of the
> > character to erase it with BITBLOCK.

> Hi,

> If all you want is to erase some LABELed text, you might prefer to re-LABEL it, with the pen having the background
> color:

>     setpc screencolor

> Regards,

> Yehuda

>     _/    _/     _/ _/_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/
>    _/   _/     _/_/    _/          _/
>   _/_/_/     _/  _/   _/        _/
>  _/   _/   _/_/_/_/  _/      _/
> _/     _/_/      _/ _/     _/_/_/_/

> Visit my Logo website at:
> http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/lab/2276

http://www.softronix.com/

Thu, 18 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Perspective OFF

Quote:
>Hi,

>This seems to erase perfectly LABELed text of any size, any color, any
>direction and any TrueType font:

>to do
>repeat 16[setpc repcount    label[read my lips] rt 360/16]
>ignore rw ; any key to continue
>repeat 16[setpc screencolor label[read my lips] rt 360/16]
>setpc 1   ; visible pen
>end

I thought perhaps it was my display, but I just ran this and indeed got
what I've been complaining about. The droppings I'm talking about is
actually the letter or digit in outline form. It shows with both white or
black screen color.

Just to make sure it wasn't my eyes or my monitor or my brain, after
running the above code, I ran
REPEAT 20 [FD 1 SHOW PIXEL]
and got:
7
7
7
7
7
7
7
[253 237 230]
[254 254 254]
7
7
7
7
[255 251 249]
7
[245 244 243]
7
[240 240 240]
[235 235 235]
7

Yes, George, I want to erase the 3 in 36!

9 times Table
showing 2 digits:    9 18 27 36 45 54 63 72 81
showing 1 digit:     9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1

5 times Table
showing 2 digits:     0  5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45
showing 1 digit:      0  5  0  5  0  5  0  5  0  5

Above in "Courier" font.

If you want I can post or point to the original VB file WORDARI.EXE file
that I'm trying to recreate in MSWLogo. (Its 35K).

Bob

"To create New Answers;  you must ask New Questions."
- Bob Gorman
http://www.kncell.org

Fri, 19 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Perspective OFF
I suspect you have "Smoothing Fonts" enabled.
This draws the edges with different colors and depends
on the colors of the fonts and perhaps the background.

You'll have to turn off "Smoothing Fonts" or use BITBLOCK
and LABELSIZE to erase.

Quote:

> > Hi,

> > This seems to erase perfectly LABELed text of any size, any color, any direction and any TrueType font:

> > to do
> > repeat 16[setpc repcount    label[read my lips] rt 360/16]
> > ignore rw ; any key to continue
> > repeat 16[setpc screencolor label[read my lips] rt 360/16]
> > setpc 1   ; visible pen
> > end

> I thought perhaps it was my display, but I just ran this and indeed got what I've been complaining about. The
> droppings I'm talking about is actually the letter or digit in outline form. It shows with both white or black screen
> color.

> Just to make sure it wasn't my eyes or my monitor or my brain, after running the above code, I ran
> REPEAT 20 [FD 1 SHOW PIXEL]
> and got:
> 7
> 7
> 7
> 7
> 7
> 7
> 7
> [253 237 230]
> [254 254 254]
> 7
> 7
> 7
> 7
> [255 251 249]
> 7
> [245 244 243]
> 7
> [240 240 240]
> [235 235 235]
> 7

> Yes, George, I want to erase the 3 in 36!

> 9 times Table
> showing 2 digits:    9 18 27 36 45 54 63 72 81
> showing 1 digit:     9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1

> 5 times Table
> showing 2 digits:     0  5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45
> showing 1 digit:      0  5  0  5  0  5  0  5  0  5

> Above in "Courier" font.

> If you want I can post or point to the original VB file WORDARI.EXE file that I'm trying to recreate in MSWLogo. (Its
> 35K).

> Bob

> "To create New Answers;  you must ask New Questions."
> - Bob Gorman
> http://www.kncell.org

George Mills

http://www.softronix.com

Fri, 19 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Perspective OFF

Quote:
> >to do
> >repeat 16[setpc repcount    label[read my lips] rt 360/16]
> >ignore rw ; any key to continue
> >repeat 16[setpc screencolor label[read my lips] rt 360/16]
> >setpc 1   ; visible pen
> >end

If any of you are having trouble with this program of Yehuda's I just fixed
mine by changing the Label font.

Before the font change the text would not rotate with the changing turtle
direction as desired.   Apparantly some fonts rotate and some fonts do not.
Dale
---

Fri, 19 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Perspective OFF

Correct, but this is not the problem Bob is having.
He does not get a complete erase. See my other post
on "Font Smoothing".

By the way it has to be a "True Type" font to rotate.
You can tell which font are true type in the "Set Font"
Dialog. It has a TT symbol next to it. Win 2000 has
an Italic O next to it.

Quote:

> > >to do
> > >repeat 16[setpc repcount    label[read my lips] rt 360/16]
> > >ignore rw ; any key to continue
> > >repeat 16[setpc screencolor label[read my lips] rt 360/16]
> > >setpc 1   ; visible pen
> > >end

> If any of you are having trouble with this program of Yehuda's I just fixed
> mine by changing the Label font.

> Before the font change the text would not rotate with the changing turtle
> direction as desired.   Apparantly some fonts rotate and some fonts do not.
> Dale
> ---

George Mills

http://www.softronix.com

Fri, 19 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Perspective OFF

I am doing a project for a college math course on logo.  Is there something that you know of that I can do.   I have to create an image of some sort and I am having trouble finding stuff on the internet.

Thanks,
Summer

[...]

Sun, 21 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. LOGO-L> Re: mswlogo perspective

2. LOGO-L> mswlogo perspective

3. LOGO-L> ChessBoard in Perspective

4. LOGO-L> Off-computer -- on to Logo

5. Turning off perspective?

6. LOGO-L> off-topic: math education joke

7. LOGO-L>omeSchooling (this is off topic)

8. LOGO-L> Apple logo/MSW Logo

10. 3D->2D perspective projection

11. WTD: 'ls -lR '->HTML code

12. LOGO-L> Welcome to logo-l