Logo Reference
Author Message
 Logo Reference

Hi all,

is there a complete reference of the LOGO language in the
Web ?
Or which bokk provide this ?
Until now, I don't found anything in this direction ( I've
already visited  the Logo
Web Ring pages and some others)

Thank you

Hans

--
         Dipl.-Ing. Hans N. Beck
Technischer + didaktischer Computereinsatz

        Tel: +49 (0)7203 922280
        Fax: +49(0)7203 922281
        Handy: 0177 5383233

        WWW: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 29 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Logo Reference

Quote:
>is there a complete reference of the LOGO language in the
>Web ?

The trouble is that there are lots of versions of Logo, all a little
different from each other.  So the best you can find is a reference
for any particular version.

The UCBLogo reference manual is at
        ftp://anarres.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/ucblogo/usermanual

Mon, 29 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Logo Reference
Hi,

Brian Harvey schrieb:

Quote:

> >is there a complete reference of the LOGO language in the
> >Web ?

> The trouble is that there are lots of versions of Logo, all a little
> different from each other.  So the best you can find is a reference
> for any particular version.

This is surprising to me. Until this time, I thought that Papert
hasdevelopped a fixed and complete concept around Logo, from
which it follows (for me) the a has written anywhere what Logo
should be and what not. But as you say, this is not the truth.
How makes the different versions since Papert got the idea of Logo ?

Is there a definable subset, which is common to all Logos ?

Thanks

Hans

--
         Dipl.-Ing. Hans N. Beck
Technischer + didaktischer Computereinsatz
      Waldstr. 28, D-75045 Walzbachtal

        Tel: +49 (0)7203 922280
        Fax: +49(0)7203 922281
        Handy: 0177 5383233

        WWW: http://www.tedakt.de

Sun, 05 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Logo Reference

Quote:
>This is surprising to me. Until this time, I thought that Papert
>hasdevelopped a fixed and complete concept around Logo, from
>which it follows (for me) the a has written anywhere what Logo
>should be and what not. But as you say, this is not the truth.
>How makes the different versions since Papert got the idea of Logo ?

Logo isn't something Papert did all by himself, or all at once.
Wally Feurzeig started a project to use computer programming with
kids in school, started with a different interactive language,
found problems with it, made up the name "Logo" for a proposed
language that would feature words (hence the name) instead of
numbers, and put together a team including Papert.  The first
language called "Logo" looked quite different from any current
version.

This all happened slightly before my time, but my impression is
that Papert's biggest contribution wasn't anything about the
structure of the Logo syntax, but rather the turtle graphics
application domain.

Having said that, pretty much every Logo dialect developed in
the western hemisphere is derived from one of two versions,
the MIT Logo for the Apple (sold and further developed by
Terrapin) and LCSI's Apple Logo.  Both the MIT Logo group and
LCSI were organized by Papert, so in some sense he's the father
of most current dialects.

But the real answer is, there are different versions because
Logo people keep thinking about improvements and about responding
to changes in technology.  Since Logo isn't heavily used in
industry, we aren't subject to the sort of economic pressure
that leads other languages into ISO/ANSI/IEEE standardization
committees.

Quote:
>Is there a definable subset, which is common to all Logos ?

A bunch of us once tried to sketch out a Logo standard.  The
only thing we could all agree on was the word/list primitive
set (WORD, SENTENCE, LIST, FPUT, LPUT, FIRST, LAST, BUTFIRST,
BUTLAST).  Everything else has varied among dialects, usually
for defensible reasons, not just arbitrary choices.

Tue, 07 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Logo reference document?

2. Logo Reference Manual on-line?

3. --- Logo Reference?? ---

4. Logo Reference Manual on-line?

5. Logo Language Reference

6. Logo /HyperLogo reference on-line???

7. Good Logo Tutorial/Reference Book

8. Apple Logo II > Reference Material

9. Definitive reference for the LOGO Programming Language?

10. LOGO-L> Apple logo/MSW Logo

12. Reference/Location of ANSI Smalltalk Reference