Thanks for 3D Rings explanation
Author Message
 Thanks for 3D Rings explanation

George,
    (This is in response to the last message of subject "Correction to
Olympic Circles in MicroWorlds," but the subject line really needed changing.)

    Thank you so much for your very clear explanation of what goes into
creating the 3D rings.  Until you wrote (below) that many 13 and 14-year-olds
are doing more complex things with MSWLogo, I was just assuming that I would
never begin to fathom how the 3D rings were done (having only dealt with the
2D world of Logo until now).  But your remark, followed by all the clear
description and explanation, inspired me to take the first step into
understanding 3D programming (so far, just trying out different values for a
few variables to see their effect).

    I had never worked with MSWLogo before, because for many years I was a
Mac-only user of MicroWorlds and then moved into the Windows version of
MicroWorlds.  But I must say that the 3D capability of MSWLogo is a great
reason to become proficient in that version, too.

    Now that you've given us sort of a getting-started lesson in 3D, can you
point us toward some Web sites or send a couple of attachments so that we can
explore more examples of 3D programming?  I would particularly love to see
what some of those 13 and 14-year-olds are doing.

    (If you've already provided some 3D resources in the past, I apologize
for not paying attention, but I generally ignored the MSWLogo messages until
your 3D rings came along!)

Wendy Petti

In a message dated 9/13/00 12:26:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

Quote:

> Just for the record, there are 13-14 year olds doing more complex
>  3D stuff in MSWLogo than my few intersecting donuts...

LogoForum messages are archived at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 03 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Thanks for 3D Rings explanation
Unfortunately the 3D Logo capabilities came out before Jim Mullers
Great Logo Adventure book. But I still recommend his book to get familiar
with MSWLogo and Logo in general.

There are quite a few examples in C:\MSWLogo\Examples\3D, there are
simple ones and more complex ones. In particular read the 3DSteps.LGO
example.

I have not seen any web sites yet that cover 3D capabilities like the
many that have covered 2D and the language itself.

There are also a bunch of 3D examples (as well as many 2D examples) at
Olga and Yehuda's site http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/2276/
also check out many of the sites I listed on MSWLogo's web page. There
is a section just for 3D. Most are more advanced examples.

Start slow and simple and work your way up just as you probably did
in 2D. Try doing simple things like a wire frame cube, then a shaded
cube, then perhaps a wire frame house, then a shaded house, etc. Try just
running your favorite 2D designs and then just ROLL 90 degrees and draw it
again. Note your 2D code cannot use SETXY or SETPOS if you want to roll it,
and pitch it. Everything has to be made up of RT, LT, FD, BK, SETHEADING,
PU, PD
it must be all "relative" code. Relative code is the most powerful code in
2D as
well as 3D because you can move it around and rotate it. If can move it around
and rotate in 2D you can probably move it around in additional 3D dimensions as
well.

Obviously the 3D Turtle graphics world is not as mature as 2D is.
It really requires a good teacher to understand it and use it as
appropriate, just as it is in 2D. Kids will only get so far on their
own even in 2D with out some good "seed" projects to get them
thinking in new directions.

Quote:

> George,
>     (This is in response to the last message of subject "Correction to
> Olympic Circles in MicroWorlds," but the subject line really needed
>changing.)

>     Thank you so much for your very clear explanation of what goes into
> creating the 3D rings.  Until you wrote (below) that many 13 and 14-year-olds
> are doing more complex things with MSWLogo, I was just assuming that I would
> never begin to fathom how the 3D rings were done (having only dealt with the
> 2D world of Logo until now).  But your remark, followed by all the clear
> description and explanation, inspired me to take the first step into
> understanding 3D programming (so far, just trying out different values for a
> few variables to see their effect).

>     I had never worked with MSWLogo before, because for many years I was a
> Mac-only user of MicroWorlds and then moved into the Windows version of
> MicroWorlds.  But I must say that the 3D capability of MSWLogo is a great
> reason to become proficient in that version, too.

>     Now that you've given us sort of a getting-started lesson in 3D, can you
> point us toward some Web sites or send a couple of attachments so that we can
> explore more examples of 3D programming?  I would particularly love to see
> what some of those 13 and 14-year-olds are doing.

>     (If you've already provided some 3D resources in the past, I apologize
> for not paying attention, but I generally ignored the MSWLogo messages until
> your 3D rings came along!)

> Wendy Petti

> In a message dated 9/13/00 12:26:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

> > Just for the record, there are 13-14 year olds doing more complex
> >  3D stuff in MSWLogo than my few intersecting donuts...

> LogoForum messages are archived at:
> http://www.egroups.com/group/LogoForum

LogoForum messages are archived at:
http://www.egroups.com/group/LogoForum

Mon, 03 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Thanks for 3D Rings explanation
George ==>

Quote:
> Unfortunately the 3D Logo capabilities came out before Jim Mullers
> Great Logo Adventure book. But I still recommend his book to get familiar
> with MSWLogo and Logo in general.

I think you meant to say "after" The Great Logo Adventure came out :>)

I've been working on updating the book to include a more complete transition
from two to three dimension along with more
well-defined activities for primary grades. These will be available on my

and
a new web site...www.coserv.net/~tgla. I moved over the summer but my new
home doesn't have cable or DSL access. I had forgotten just how slow 56K
dialup access can be :>)

Regards...Jim

LogoForum messages are archived at:
http://www.egroups.com/group/LogoForum

Tue, 04 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Thanks for 3D Rings explanation

2. True 3D Olympic Rings

3. VRML 3D ring

4. VRML 3D Ring

5. VRML 3D Ring

6. ring 0 to ring 123

7. Ring 0 access from within a ring 3 program without VxD

8. 3D Archaeology Thanks!

9. accessing 3D FFT data as 1D/3D complex/real arrays

10. ? subroutine to check if a 3D point is in the 3D region or not

11. Thank you, thank you. I accept the accolades, Thank you!

12. Thank you, Thank you. I accept the accolades, Thank you!