[EDUCATION] Simple or Rich
Author Message
 [EDUCATION] Simple or Rich

In presenting an object lesson, when would you use simple or rich content?

DEFINITIONS :
1. A General Outline that I follow in teaching
        I. Pre-assessment
        II. Learning Activities
                Teacher Student
                -------     -------
           A. Show              Perceive
           B. Discuss     Think
           C. Apply       Try
        III. Evaluation

2. The "presenting" happens in II-A-Teacher.
3. For a presentation on Multiple Turtles :
        Simple would be :
                repeat 8 [setturtle repcount-1 rt (repcount-1)*360/8 fd 100]
        Rich would be :
                A 3D shoot-em-up where the turtles paint bullet tracers.

If you did not have to program the "show" yourself ... simply load and run,
which would you choose?
Granted that II-B and II-C are expertly handled, which openning salvo,
simple or rich, would be preferable to move the kids to try it...to
experience their own Logo moment?

:-)  edwin

LogoForum messages are archived at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:40:14 GMT
 [EDUCATION] Simple or Rich

Quote:

> In presenting an object lesson, when would you use simple or rich
> 3. For a presentation on Multiple Turtles :
> Simple would be :
> repeat 8 [setturtle repcount-1 rt (repcount-1)*360/8 fd 100]
> Rich would be :
> A 3D shoot-em-up where the turtles paint bullet tracers.
> which would you choose?

You might not want to limit yourself to just those two choices. Your
'simple' item might not give a convincing reason to want to use more than
one turtle at a time. Your 'rich' (a.k.a. 'complex') item would be great fun
to play, but might lose power in the complexity added by 3-D, bullets,
explosions, user interaction, etc. Another point of concern is that
different students will be at different levels of skill and they will have
different interests and goals. Different presentations might, therefore, be
desirable or necessary.

One thing I find myself doing more and more is wait til they ask about
something. Then I have them look over my shoulder as I cobble together
something very short and simple (5 minutes MAX) to illustrate the point they
asked about. This gives me a chance to model things like revising, trial and
error, debugging, editing functions, looking up things in HELP, etc. In my
view, these are the important things -- more important than anything I could
tell them about multiple turtles, or any other 'feature' of the language,
that they could learn on their own.

I do have a large mosaic of printouts of student work on one wall. That
often provides the impetus for students to ask, 'how can I make something
like that?' Just the other night I had one guy who experimented some with
multiple turtles ask, 'can I make the turtle move in a certain direction by
pressing a key?'       ...(YES!)    I just love it when that happens.

Tom

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:41:39 GMT
 [EDUCATION] Simple or Rich
You're quite right, Tom.  I too try to teach more of the process rather than
just the task.  I figure if you teach the kids correct principles, they'll
do what they want to do with it.

I'm simply tooling up for the short MTV-style attention spans and just plain
laziness or passivity. Not all the kids I teach need to be entertained.  The
true logo kids just pick-up and go!

What I really want to see are the learners properly enticed to want to learn
more.  Hopefully the investment pays off in more independent and empowered
students.

:-)  edwin

> In presenting an object lesson, when would you use simple or rich
> 3. For a presentation on Multiple Turtles :
> Simple would be :
> repeat 8 [setturtle repcount-1 rt (repcount-1)*360/8 fd 100]
> Rich would be :
> A 3D shoot-em-up where the turtles paint bullet tracers.
> which would you choose?

You might not want to limit yourself to just those two choices. Your
'simple' item might not give a convincing reason to want to use more than
one turtle at a time. Your 'rich' (a.k.a. 'complex') item would be great fun
to play, but might lose power in the complexity added by 3-D, bullets,
explosions, user interaction, etc. Another point of concern is that
different students will be at different levels of skill and they will have
different interests and goals. Different presentations might, therefore, be
desirable or necessary.

One thing I find myself doing more and more is wait til they ask about
something. Then I have them look over my shoulder as I cobble together
something very short and simple (5 minutes MAX) to illustrate the point they
asked about. This gives me a chance to model things like revising, trial and
error, debugging, editing functions, looking up things in HELP, etc. In my
view, these are the important things -- more important than anything I could
tell them about multiple turtles, or any other 'feature' of the language,
that they could learn on their own.

I do have a large mosaic of printouts of student work on one wall. That
often provides the impetus for students to ask, 'how can I make something
like that?' Just the other night I had one guy who experimented some with
multiple turtles ask, 'can I make the turtle move in a certain direction by
pressing a key?'       ...(YES!)    I just love it when that happens.

Tom

Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:56:24 GMT
 [EDUCATION] Simple or Rich

You're quite right, Tom.  I too try to teach more of the process rather
than just the task.  I figure if you teach the kids correct principles,
they'll do what they want to do with it.  I'm simply tooling up for the
short MTV-style attention spans and just plain laziness or passivity. Not
all the kids I teach need to be entertained.  The true logo kids just
pick-up and go!  What I really want to see are the learners properly
enticed to want to learn more.  Hopefully the investment pays off in more
independent and empowered students.  :-)  edwin
 This issue of student motivation keeps coming up. I just read, & re-read,
it was so good, a paper that presents a very workable model for
understanding & creating "motivation". it is the paper called "Session 08
Handout" (see below).  System dynamics is another major thread that
emphasizes the crucial role of mental model building for students.  Here's
a snip from the papers abstract. I've added [Logo] to show the amazing
parallels. --------- Your job is not to make drink, your job is to make
them thirsty? Abstract System Dynamics [Logo] has had a tough time breaking
into High Schools. Like all good ideas the most difficult part is
convincing those who would most benefit that this new approach is in their
self interest. When system dynamics [Logo] is only presented as a computer
based tool, most teachers will not try it. When we introduce systems
methodologies [Logo] in a way that focuses on the richer, softer and more
human side, teachers start to simulate more quickly.  Learning the System
Dynamics [Logo] Way? is in fact introducing a changed relationship of
learner, teacher and subject material.  <snip^2>  The three distinct parts
of the classic learning S-curve that can be represented as curriculums?
are: build Passion slowly, accelerate learning through Risk taking and
consolidate understanding by Reflection. Using computer models is the goal
because computers are the best tool for student controlled exploration and
reflection.   To bring practitioners on board stealth should be used to
implicitly train students and teachers about systems [Logo] thinking.
People dont resist change, they resist being changed? ---------  The 3
part model  Passion,  Risk, & Reflection, is most applicable to students
labelled "difficult, or 'short MTV-style attention spans and just plain
laziness or passivity'".  The full conference papers are at: Systems
Thinking and Dynamic Modeling Conference (June 25-27 2000)
<http://www.clexchange.org/cle_2000conference.html
eudora="autourl">http://www.clexchange.org/cle_2000conference.html Session
08       Building Sustainable Interest in Modelling in the Classroom: The
Implications of the S-curve for Hooking New Practitioners in Schools -
Gordon Kubanek, Ottawa Carleton District Schools      Handout:Session 08
Handout  You can download the pdf.
Quote:

Simple or Rich

One thing I find myself doing more and more is wait til they ask about
something. Then I have them look over my shoulder as I cobble together
something very short and simple (5 minutes MAX) to illustrate the point
they asked about. This gives me a chance to model things like revising,
trial and error, debugging, editing functions, looking up things in HELP,
etc. In my view, these are the important things -- more important than
anything I could tell them about multiple turtles, or any other 'feature'
of the language, that they could learn on their own.
 Wow. That approach builds Passion slowly, facilitates Risk taking and
encourages Reflection all in 5 minutes MAX!  Bob  Knowledge is NOT enough!
Knowledge + Confidence enables Action. Vision + Action = Leadership! - Bob
Gorman <"http://www.kncell.org/" eudora="autourl">http://www.kncell.org

LogoForum messages are archived at:

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:31:41 GMT

1. Rich Edit with Right Tab

2. A room for being rich

3. Paste rich text from Word, RTF Parser

4. Rich Text Editing/Printing

5. Locus Template - Rich Edit

6. Rich Text

7. Need a Rich Text guru

8. Help Needed on Locus Rich Editor

9. Locus Rich Text

10. Rich text DLL etc

11. RTF (Rich Text Format) driver or library

12. C5.5 Rich Text and Spell Checking