> Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 2:12 AM

> Subject: [LogoForum] Re: Bug: UCBLOGO and Windows 2000

> >I just downloaded UCBLOGO 5.1 and installed it on a
Windows 2000
> >machine.

> >It runs fine, however whenever you click on the Window
where UCBLOGO
> >is running it crashes the program.

I think there's a bug in UCBLogo. If you type "bye" you can
quit without crashing.

Quote:

> It won't probably not help: to run MSWLogo on W2000
correctly  (as on
> Windows98), I had to install it on a FAT partition instead
of on a
> NTFS partition. Other usual tricks: uninstall, restart
system and
> install again, increase user rights, increase swap file
size,... en
> attendant l'avis de quelqu'un qui sait!

Because of the way UCBLogo and MSWLogo is designed (where it
writes files etc) they cannot be run as a limited user on
Windows 2000 or XP. I'm sure with some tweeking, environment
settings etc they can, but I'll leave that up to Brian and
George to describe.

TKTSLogo should work as a limited user on an NTFS file
system (if it doesn't, it's a regression).

Jamie

LogoForum messages are archived at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:42:54 GMT
 Bug: UCBLOGO and Windows 2000

Quote:

> > >I just downloaded UCBLOGO 5.1 and installed it on a
>  Windows 2000
> > >machine.

> > >It runs fine, however whenever you click on the Window
>  where UCBLOGO
> > >is running it crashes the program.

> I think there's a bug in UCBLogo. If you type "bye" you can
> quit without crashing.

> > It won't probably not help: to run MSWLogo on W2000
>  correctly  (as on
> > Windows98), I had to install it on a FAT partition instead
>  of on a
> > NTFS partition. Other usual tricks: uninstall, restart
>  system and
> > install again, increase user rights, increase swap file
>  size,... en
> > attendant l'avis de quelqu'un qui sait!

> Because of the way UCBLogo and MSWLogo is designed (where it
> writes files etc) they cannot be run as a limited user on
> Windows 2000 or XP. I'm sure with some tweeking, environment
> settings etc they can, but I'll leave that up to Brian and
> George to describe.

> TKTSLogo should work as a limited user on an NTFS file
> system (if it doesn't, it's a regression).

> Jamie

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

I did a little more testing, and found out it only crashes when you
click on the text part of the screen.

If UCBLOGO is in TextScreen mode, and you click anywhere it crashes.

If UCBLOGO is in SplitScreen mode, if you click on the graphics part
it works OK. If you click in the text portion at the bottom of the
screen it crashes.

I also installed it on another Windows 2000 machine, and it ran OK. No
problems.

So it must be something to do with User rights I guess.

Take care,

Dan.

Mon, 13 Sep 2004 04:37:47 GMT
 Bug: UCBLOGO and Windows 2000

What do you mean by "limited" user?

I run MSWLogo on NTFS exclusively these days under Win2k and WinXp with no
problems.

> > >I just downloaded UCBLOGO 5.1 and installed it on a
> Windows 2000
> > >machine.

> > >It runs fine, however whenever you click on the Window
> where UCBLOGO
> > >is running it crashes the program.

> I think there's a bug in UCBLogo. If you type "bye" you can
> quit without crashing.

> > It won't probably not help: to run MSWLogo on W2000
> correctly  (as on
> > Windows98), I had to install it on a FAT partition instead
> of on a
> > NTFS partition. Other usual tricks: uninstall, restart
> system and
> > install again, increase user rights, increase swap file
> size,... en
> > attendant l'avis de quelqu'un qui sait!

> Because of the way UCBLogo and MSWLogo is designed (where it
> writes files etc) they cannot be run as a limited user on
> Windows 2000 or XP. I'm sure with some tweeking, environment
> settings etc they can, but I'll leave that up to Brian and
> George to describe.

> TKTSLogo should work as a limited user on an NTFS file
> system (if it doesn't, it's a regression).

> Jamie

> LogoForum messages are archived at:

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Thu, 16 Sep 2004 05:40:16 GMT
 Bug: UCBLOGO and Windows 2000
I decided to check out why "openwrite" (with the default
prefix) works...

This will normally work because the default install
directory is MSWLogo off the root (eg, c:\MSWLogo). The
limited-user permissions allow a directory to be created off
root, and files/directories to be created off that
directory. If you install mswlogo off "Program Files" or if
you tighten security up on c:\MSWLogo, you would have
problems when running as a 'limited user' that probably can
be overcome by explicitly setting the prefix. That depends
on if MSWLogo uses temporary files or not and where it
writes them if it does.

(I think 'Limited User' is an XP phrase, create a 'User'
account on Windows 2000 as opposed to 'Administrator' or
'Power User').

Jamie

> I run MSWLogo on NTFS exclusively these days under Win2k
and
> WinXp with no problems.

Thu, 16 Sep 2004 05:40:58 GMT
 Bug: UCBLOGO and Windows 2000

Quote:

>What do you mean by "limited" user?

>I run MSWLogo on NTFS exclusively these days under Win2k and WinXp with no
>problems.

As I told in another post, I have got one problem under Win2K and NTFS
that disappears if MSWlogo is installed on a FAT partition: it seems
that on a NTFS partition the dir and directories procedures doesn't
see the subdirectories. The directories procedure always returns an
empty list.

--
Francis Leboutte
Le Logo l'athne de Waha : www.algo.be/logo.html

Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:34:29 GMT
 Bug: UCBLOGO and Windows 2000
I've been spending time recently to get ToonTalk to support limited users.
In Windows XP a limited user cannot write or modify files other than those
that are in their personal directory. They can also create files in the
shared documents directory (and only modify those that they create there).
So such a user cannot write to Program Files, the Windows system directory,
or to the system registry. This means that they can't install software. They
can still read and use all files except those private to other users. In
Windows 2000 there is a similar concept of a non-administrator user. It
seems the enforcement of these rules depends on NTFS and they aren't really
enforced on older file systems.

I suspect that schools over time will move to Windows XP and will make its
students into limited users. Our software needs to function in such a
context.

Best,

-ken kahn ( www.toontalk.com )

Quote:

> >What do you mean by "limited" user?

> >I run MSWLogo on NTFS exclusively these days under Win2k and WinXp with
no
> >problems.

> As I told in another post, I have got one problem under Win2K and NTFS
> that disappears if MSWlogo is installed on a FAT partition: it seems
> that on a NTFS partition the dir and directories procedures doesn't
> see the subdirectories. The directories procedure always returns an
> empty list.

> --
> Francis Leboutte
> Le Logo l'athne de Waha : www.algo.be/logo.html
>  This message is being posted from comp.lang.logo

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:01:06 GMT
 Bug: UCBLOGO and Windows 2000

Quote:

> I've been spending time recently to get ToonTalk to support limited users.
> In Windows XP a limited user cannot write or modify files other than those
> that are in their personal directory. They can also create files in the
> shared documents directory (and only modify those that they create there).
> So such a user cannot write to Program Files, the Windows system directory,
> or to the system registry. This means that they can't install software. They
> can still read and use all files except those private to other users. In
> Windows 2000 there is a similar concept of a non-administrator user. It
> seems the enforcement of these rules depends on NTFS and they aren't really
> enforced on older file systems.

> I suspect that schools over time will move to Windows XP and will make its
> students into limited users. Our software needs to function in such a
> context.

Gee, have we come so far with windows? I wonder why did I waste my time (some
9 years ago) to learn Linux. I should have just waited :-)

Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:18:20 GMT
 Bug: UCBLOGO and Windows 2000

Quote:

>I suspect that schools over time will move to Windows XP and will make its
>students into limited users. Our software needs to function in such a
>context.

Not the schools I know and most of the schools in Belgium and EC I
think. Because of Windows XP cost, hardware requirements and other
migration cost, they will stay with Windows 98. XP overall cost is
another reason for some to go to Linux.

--
Francis Leboutte
Le Logo l'athne de Waha : www.algo.be/logo.html
 This message is being posted from comp.lang.logo

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:38:56 GMT
 Bug: UCBLOGO and Windows 2000

Quote:

> Not the schools I know and most of the schools in Belgium and EC I
> think. Because of Windows XP cost, hardware requirements and other
> migration cost, they will stay with Windows 98. XP overall cost is
> another reason for some to go to Linux.

Linux is another topic. An interesting one and I wonder if anyone has any
numbers showing its use in K12. My guess is that in the US it is less than
1%. Maybe things will change.

Regarding Windows XP vs. 98, I just went to dell.com and priced the cheapest
educational computer I could easily find. (Dimension 2200 for $807). It is
only offered with XP Pro or 2000 Pro (and no price difference). It might
take a year or two but I suspect most schools will move to XP.

Best,

-ken kahn ( www.toontalk.com )

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 00:43:07 GMT

1. Bug: UCBLOGO and Windows 2000

2. Bugs on Windows 2000

3. windows 2000 sendfax bug

4. Possible bug in Windows 2000 (Win2k) Regina 2.1 LIFO and FIFO

5. QuickDDE, Word 2000 & Windows 2000

6. Moving from Windows 98 to Windows 2000

7. Clarion for Windows and Windows 2000

8. Clipper 5.2e, Windows Milenium and windows 2000

9. Windows 2000 vs Windows Me

10. "Out Port.vi": passing from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000

11. A custom built DLL crashes labview 5.1 in windows 2000 but worked fine in windows 98

12. windows.h not found, compiling 1.6.7 under cygwin/windows 2000