Berkeley Logo 5.3 released (freeware)
Author Message
 Berkeley Logo 5.3 released (freeware)

Release 5.3 of Berkeley Logo is now available by anonymous FTP or Web.
Versions are available for Unix, DOS, Windows, and MacOS.
Berkeley Logo (a/k/a UCBLogo) is FREE SOFTWARE, with source code included.
                                 -------------

Logo is the educational programming language best known for its "turtle
graphics" but also featuring easy and powerful facilities for computing
with words and sentences.  Sample projects included with the Berkeley
Logo distribution range from a tic-tac-toe game to a Pascal compiler and
a Logo implementation of Student, Daniel Bobrow's program that solves
algebra word problems.

Berkeley Logo is distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public
License:  You may redistribute it freely, and you may use it as a base
for developing additional free software, but you may not use it as a base
for commercial software products.  The exact details are included in the
distribution, in the file named GPL.

Advantages of Berkeley Logo:

        * It's free.

        * It comes with source files (in C).

        * Logo programs are completely compatible among Unix, PC, and Mac.

Disadvantages of Berkeley Logo:

        * It's relatively slow.

        * It doesn't do anything fancy about graphics.  (One turtle.)

This announcement has four more parts:
  * How to get Berkeley Logo.
  * Installation instructions.
  * Details about this release.
  * Pointers to other people's Berkeley-Logo-related distributions.

HOW TO GET BERKELEY LOGO:

FTP to ftp.cs.berkeley.edu and get any of the following files:

pub/ucblogo/ucblogo.tar.Z       Unix sources and documentation (compress form)
pub/ucblogo/ucblogo.tar.gz      Unix sources and documentation (gzip format)

pub/ucblogo/blogo.exe           DOS version, PKZIP format, including
                                    executables BL.EXE and UCBLOGO.EXE

pub/ucblogo/ucbwlogosetup.exe   Windows version, self-installing, with
                                    executable UCBWLOGO.EXE

pub/ucblogo/ucblogo.sea         Mac version, StuffIt format, w/executable Logo
pub/ucblogo/ucblogo.sea.hqx     Mac version, BinHexed StuffIt format,
                                    including executable Logo

pub/ucblogo/usermanual          Just the documentation file.

Be sure to use BINARY transfer mode when retrieving the archive files!

Alternatively, you can download Berkeley Logo from the World-Wide Web.
You'll find pointers on http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~bh/logo.html

(The filenames above are links to filenames that include the version number,
e.g., blogo52.exe; either name is okay.  Anything other than the current
version, if still online, is in the subdirectory pub/ucblogo/old.)

-----------

The DOS version is in the form of a self-extracting PKZIP archive.
Run BLOGO.EXE ; it will create two files, INSTALL.BAT and INSTALLU.EXE.  Then
run INSTALL to create a C:\UCBLOGO directory with the complete
distribution.  If you want to install
Logo somewhere other than C:\UCBLOGO, you can say
                        installu -d d:\foo\
to put it in d:\foo\ucblogo.  DON'T FORGET THE "-d" PART!

-----------

The Mac version is in the form of a BinHex-converted self-extracting StuffIt
archive.  To install it, just copy to your hard disk, un-BinHex it (this may
be done automatically by your file transfer program), and double-click on it.

-----------

The Unix version is a compressed tar file.  To install it, copy to your
machine, then say
                uncompress ucblogo.tar
                tar -xf ucblogo.tar
                cd ucblogo
                configure
                make
If you have gunzip, you can instead get ucblogo.tar.gz (better compression).

-----------

The DOS, Windows, and Mac versions include a SOURCE subdirectory containing
the C source files used to compile Berkeley Logo.  If you don't want to play
with the code, you can delete this directory and all its contents.  You can
also delete some or all of the contents of the DOCS directory, which has the
usermanual in various formats (postscript, PDF, HTML, INFO, TEXI).  The
HTML files are particularly huge, if you're looking for something to delete.
(In the Unix version, the source files are in the top-level directory of the
distribution.)

In the source directory, the file plm is a Program Logic Manual that
documents some of the inner mysteries of this interpreter.  You should read
_Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs_ before you read plm.
Also included is evaluator.ps, a beautiful one-page simplified flowchart
of the evaluator to admire while reading plm.

In the Unix version, if you want to save space, you can delete the entire
ucblogo directory created by tar once you've done "make install".

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Unix version: the makefile compiles with optimization turned off.  This is
necessary to avoid mysterious garbage collection failures.  (NOTE:  On my HP
712, for reasons I don't understand, I had to compile the entire interpreter
without optimization.  But on other platforms, such as PCs running Linux and
FreeBSD, it's sufficient merely to un-optimize mem.c.  If that works on your
machine, you can remove the "-O0" at the end of the CFLAGS line at the
beginning of the makefile, after running configure.)

---------

The DOS distribution includes two executable programs.  BL.EXE runs on any
DOS PC, but is limited to 640K of memory.  UCBLOGO.EXE requires a
286-or-better processor, but is able to take advantage of extended memory if
you have it.  Read the README file for technical details.

The BL.EXE version, for really old 8086 PCs, is frozen at version 3.6,
because the garbage collection algorithm introduced in version 4.0
doesn't work well with really small memory.

---------

The Windows version, named UCBWLOGO.EXE, requires Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP
or later (not 3.1; sorry).  It is distributed as a self-installing setup file.

---------

The Mac distribution is for pre-OS-X Macs, but also works (at least for
some people) in the "classic environment" under OS X.

These days most people can successfully download binary files, so try
ucblogo.sea first, because it's a smaller download.  But if you can't get
that to run, try ucblogo.sea.hqx for a BinHex version.

For an OS X native version, you can use the Unix
distribution.  Thanks to Robert A. Burnham for these instructions:

    Install the contents of the Developer Tools CD that ships with OS
    X onto your system.  OS X comes with a number of great Unix
    packages (e.g. emacs & perl), but the CD will install the
    additional tools needed to build UCB Logo.

    Download and install the most recent version of X Windows,
    XFree86 4.1.0.  This is free software that is available on the web
    and you can download pre-built binaries for Darwin (the Open
    Source component of OS X).  Warning, if you are downloading
    this over a modem, it will take you a while.  Start here:

        http://www.*-*-*.com/

    Download the Unix package for UCB Logo to your OS X
    machine.  I downloaded it from my web browser (IE) and StuffIt
    automatically uncompressed the folder and placed in on my
    desktop.  I then placed the folder into my home directory.

    Next, read the README file and run the 'configure' utility (they are
    both located in the ucblogo folder).  Finally, type 'make all'  and
    the executable program 'logo' will be created in the directory.
    Type 'make install' (as root) to copy the necessary files to /usr/local
    (or wherever you told configure to put them, if you did).

    To try it out, start up X Windows (which you should be able to do
    with the XDarwin icon which XFree86 installs in your
    Applications folder) and type 'logo' at the prompt in one of the
    terminal windows that will be on the screen.  With any luck you'll
    see 'Welcome to Berkley Logo version 5.3'.

THIS RELEASE:

This is a maintenance release, just fixing a few disastrous bugs
introduced in the 5.2 release.

All platforms:

        Fixed crash applying anonymous procedure with number as name of
        optional parameter: APPLY [[[2 3]] [PR :2]] [5]

        Fixed bug about LOCAL inside tailcalled procedure inside REPEAT's
        instruction input affecting caller's variable.

        Fixed bug about APPLY of question-mark-format template clobbering
        local variables of the caller.

Windows:

Mac:

Unix:

        Replaced logo.el in logo-mode to improve portability.

OTHER UCBLOGO-RELATED DISTRIBUTIONS:

MSWLogo is a free port of Berkeley Logo to Microsoft Windows done by George
Mills.  He has added a lot of Windows-specific capability to the language,
so you can do cool multimedia stuff with it.  Look in

        http://www.*-*-*.com/

---

Adaptation francaise pour MSWLogo et UCBLogo:

A startup file and documentation for UCBLogo in French is at

        http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thanks to Francis Leboutte.

---

Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:58:15 GMT
 Berkeley Logo 5.3 released (freeware)

Quote:

> Release 5.3 of Berkeley Logo is now available by anonymous FTP or Web.

Please consider making multi-part versions available that fit on 3.5"
floppies.

Those of us stuck with libraries as our download mechanisms are
otherwise locked out.

Thanks.

xanthian.

Fri, 22 Jul 2005 05:58:58 GMT
 Berkeley Logo 5.3 released (freeware)

Quote:
>Please consider making multi-part versions available that fit on 3.5"
>floppies.

Done.  (For the Windows version -- if you want something else, tell me
which.)

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/floppyfiles.html

Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:00:41 GMT
 Berkeley Logo 5.3 released (freeware)

Quote:

>> Please consider making multi-part versions available that fit on 3.5"
>> floppies.
> Done.  (For the Windows version -- if you want something else, tell me
> which.)
> http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~bh/floppyfiles.html

Many thanks, and of course me without my usual box of well worn floppies
today ({*filter*} donating and poetry recitation ate lots of my day) but I'll
grab it tomorrow.

xanthian.

Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:46:21 GMT
 Berkeley Logo 5.3 released (freeware)

Quote:

>> Please consider making multi-part versions available that fit on 3.5"
>> floppies.
> Done.  (For the Windows version -- if you want something else, tell me
> which.)
> http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/floppyfiles.html

Thanks again, got it installed, though there were some minor file name
problems with the distribution, and am now using Berkeley Logo as my
screen "interesting display" when I'm away from my computer.

Description of problems sent via email

xanthian.

Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:29:22 GMT

1. Berkeley Logo 5.1 (freeware) available

2. Berkeley Logo 5.1 (freeware) available

3. Berkeley Logo 5.1 (freeware) available

4. Berkeley Logo 3.1 release

5. Freeware announcement: Dalby Source Printer released as freeware

6. LOGO-L> Berkeley Logo

7. LOGO-L> Windows and Berkeley Logo

8. Last release of Clipper 5.3

9. win 95 msw logo 5.3 problems

10. TXL 5.3 Release now available

11. ANNOUNCE: freeWrap version 5.3 released

12. Berkeley Logo 5.2 available for download