LOGO-L> cloze project
Author Message
 LOGO-L> cloze project

 Developed a MicroWorlds cloze project. This is being developed by older kids
to teach younger kids.

1. Create textbox, put it under the turtle, call it type_word
2. Make 2 buttons, new and try.
3. procedures page:-

to new
type_word, ct
setsh pick [car bird1 etc.]    etc. means substitute shape names
end

Test the new button, see what happens

to try
if type_word = "car [drive]
if type_word = "bird [bird_fly]
etc.                               substitute  more if lines...
end

to drive
seth 90
glide 100 1
seth 270
glide 100 1
announce [Well done!]
end

to bird_fly
finish it yourself
end

4. Back to display

Click new, shape appears.
Type the name of the shape in the textbox
Click try and you should get a little animation and a congratulations message.

5. Extend project to include lots of shapes and words, include some interesting
animations.

6. Older kids then trial this on younger kids and the another older kid
interviews them to get their feedback.

7. Later this could be developed into a fully fledged cloze project.

-- Bill Kerr
   Paralowie R12 School
   South Australia.

ps. how should I handle the "errors" --
 ie. if the young kid types burd instead of bird (not immediately obvious)

Fri, 10 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> cloze project

Quote:

>ps. how should I handle the "errors" --
> ie. if the young kid types burd instead of bird (not immediately obvious)

Use, the MicroWorlds command CAREFULLY to trap errors.

Fri, 10 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> cloze project

Quote:

>ps. how should I handle the "errors" --
> ie. if the young kid types burd instead of bird (not immediately obvious)

Gary Stager replied:
:Use, the MicroWorlds command CAREFULLY to trap errors.

On closer examination my original program is deficient in a number of respects.
It needs some work but I don't see how CAREFULLY will fix it either.

ie. I have a list of IF statements

if word = bird [fly]
if word = car [drive]
etc.

The problems with this are:-
1. no error trapping, eg. for spelling mistakes
2. if a picture of a bird appears and the student types car then the bird will
drive away and they get a congrats message !

I don't think CAREFULLY fits in with a series of if statements. If the student
types the wrong word then an if statement simply ignores it, it doesn't regard
it as an error.

One possible solution is something like:-

if not member? [bird car etc.][announce [try again]]

(that might fix problem no. 1 but not problem no. 2 above). I'm still thinking
about it.

 Bill Kerr

Mon, 13 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> cloze project

Quote:

>if word = bird [fly]
>if word = car [drive]
>etc.

>The problems with this are:-
>1. no error trapping, eg. for spelling mistakes
>2. if a picture of a bird appears and the student types car then the bird will
>drive away and they get a congrats message !

if word = bird [fly stop]
if word = car [drive stop]
announce [oops]

But shouldn't there be some quotation marks in there somewhere?

Mon, 13 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. LOGO-L> Better cloze

2. LOGO-L> Cloze

3. LOGO-L> Logo projects needed for Logosium

4. LOGO-L> Logo Game Projects

5. LOGO-L> Re:project help

6. LOGO-L> New Web page project

7. LOGO-L> MicroWorlds project ideas