LOGO-L> oneliners and home in mswlogo
Author Message
 LOGO-L> oneliners and home in mswlogo

when i tried to play with the following one-liners
thinngs did not seem to work.

;fireworks
for [i 0 220 0.0001*sin :i][fd :i home rt 10 ]

;peltonwheel
for [i 0 220 sin :i/1000][fd :i home rt 51 ]

;spirals
for [i 0 220 sin :i/1000][fd :i home rt 41 ]

looging into the details i found that in mswlogo
home
does not do what its descrition in the help file says

it should be the same as
setpos [0 0]
so it should NOT change the turtle heading.
but it does.

therefore, these oneliners will not behave as intended in mswlogo.

i am sending this just a warning in case some other people
on the list also are surprised.

--

Computer Supported Didactics Working Group, University of Vienna
PGP-key at http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 14 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> oneliners and home in mswlogo

Quote:
>HOME does not do what its descrition in the help file says.
>It should be the same as SETPOS [0 0]
>so it should NOT change the turtle heading.
>but it does.

What do other Logo dialects do?  I thought I copied the
behavior of Apple Logo (in which case it's the help file
that's wrong) but this is negotiable.

Sun, 14 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> oneliners and home in mswlogo

Quote:

> >HOME does not do what its descrition in the help file says.
> >It should be the same as SETPOS [0 0]
> >so it should NOT change the turtle heading.
> >but it does.

> What do other Logo dialects do?  I thought I copied the
> behavior of Apple Logo (in which case it's the help file
> that's wrong) but this is negotiable.

Seems that the Help file is not complete. The procedure works with
SETPOS [0 0] but doesn't do much with HOME.

Regards...Jim

Sun, 14 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> oneliners and home in mswlogo

Quote:

> Article: 3310 of comp.lang.logo
> u!agate!bh

> Newsgroups: comp.lang.logo
> Subject: Re: LOGO-L> oneliners and home in mswlogo
> Date: 28 May 1997 12:12:49 GMT

> >HOME does not do what its descrition in the help file says.
> >It should be the same as SETPOS [0 0]
> >so it should NOT change the turtle heading.
> >but it does.

> What do other Logo dialects do?  I thought I copied the
> behavior of Apple Logo (in which case it's the help file
> that's wrong) but this is negotiable.

My recollection of the early UK implementations was that HOME returns the
Turtle to its nest looking through its front door. I.e. sets HEADING to 0
and POS to [0 0]. This is easy to explain to children. So, HOME should not
be the same as SETPOS [0 0] it would seem.

Micheal O Duill
EuroLogo Scientific Committee Chairman

Fri, 19 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. LOGO-L> PC-LOGO syntax in MSWLogo

2. LOGO-L> Re: MSWLogo

3. LOGO-L> MSWlogo for D. Barnett

4. LOGO-L> Web page + MSWLogo GUI Builder

5. LOGO-L> Bola magica (MSWLogo)

6. LOGO-L> oscillatory table with mswlogo bits

7. LOGO-L> Re: MSWlogo

8. LOGO-L> MSWLogo 6.2 is available

9. LOGO-L> Searching for MSWLogo (Spanish Version)

10. Odp: LOGO-L> MSWLogo 6.2 is available

11. LOGO-L> floating point errors in MSWLogo

12. LOGO-L> windows functions in MSWLogo