Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 4:31 PM
Subject: [LogoForum] MSWLogo Questions

> [snipped]

> 4. In the editor, right click doesn't bring up a cut/copy/paste menu.
> Is this some kind of MFC standard (and thus not there because MSWLogo
> is built with Borland), or can I do something to enable it?

> [snipped]

LogoForum messages are archived at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:21:57 GMT
 MSWLogo Questions
Hi all,

I'm using MSWLogo to teach an intro programming class at a local high
school. I've run into a few issues, and am wondering if there are
known work-arounds (or what I'm doing wrong). Any advice would be
appreciated:

1. I view the workspace, via the edit "<name> command or clicking the
Edall button. Then I select Exit from the Editor's File menu. It
always says that the contents of the workspace have changed, even
when I don't do any editing. Is this a bug, or expected behavior?

2. When a student incorrectly creates an endless recusion function,
the program crashes with an access violation. For example, it will say

"The instruction at "0x0040ed3c" referenced memory at "0x61732220".
The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program."

I was expecting that an interpreted language such as Logo could catch
stack overflow conditions before they cause the entire environment to
die.

3. In single step mode, the Step window doesn't seem to remember its
position - it always pops up on top of the graphics window. So if a
student is stepping through code that draws on the screen, they have
to keep moving it out of the way to see what's going on. Is there any
way to set the position of this window?

4. In the editor, right click doesn't bring up a cut/copy/paste menu.
Is this some kind of MFC standard (and thus not there because MSWLogo
is built with Borland), or can I do something to enable it?

5. In the editor, is there any way to turn on auto-tabbing? If the
body of a function (or text inside of brackets) is indented, then the
repeated typing of tabs is tedious.

6. A number of the example programs (from the UCBLogo distribution)
don't seem to run properly. Is there a site that has versions which
have been fixed up? Or is there a problem with my configuration that
causes errors? Would it be useful for me to generate a list of the
problems that I ran into?

7. Has MSWLogo ever been ported to VC++/MFC?

Sorry for all of the questions...this is my first real exposure to
Logo (plus I'm more of a Mac guy than Windows), so I'm sure a number
of these are due to pilot error.

Thanks,

-- Ken

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:21:33 GMT
 MSWLogo Questions

Hi, Ken!

Quote:
>1. I view the workspace, via the edit "<name> command or clicking the
>Edall button. Then I select Exit from the Editor's File menu. It
>always says that the contents of the workspace have changed, even
>when I don't do any editing. Is this a bug, or expected behavior?

Strange. On my computer MSWLogo 6.4h doesn`t do this.

Quote:
>2. When a student incorrectly creates an endless recusion function,
>the program crashes with an access violation. For example, it will say

>"The instruction at "0x0040ed3c" referenced memory at "0x61732220".
>The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program."

>I was expecting that an interpreted language such as Logo could catch
>stack overflow conditions before they cause the entire environment to
>die.

Oh, I`d like to see this routine! I`m collecting ave bugs!-)

Quote:
>3. In single step mode, the Step window doesn't seem to remember its
>position - it always pops up on top of the graphics window. So if a
>student is stepping through code that draws on the screen, they have
>to keep moving it out of the way to see what's going on. Is there any
>way to set the position of this window?

I don`t know one. But when debugging,
I always have an external editor with syntax highlighting open
to view my Logo source code,
and the MSWLogo graphics area is only in the top right quarter of the
screen,
so the step window won`t matter to be in the middle of the screen.

Quote:
>4. In the editor, right click doesn't bring up a cut/copy/paste menu.
>Is this some kind of MFC standard (and thus not there because MSWLogo
>is built with Borland), or can I do something to enable it?

I think, in Borland C this could also be done, but you know,
MSWLogo has not been revised for quite a long time...
(or have I missed something?)

Quote:
>5. In the editor, is there any way to turn on auto-tabbing? If the
>body of a function (or text inside of brackets) is indented, then the
>repeated typing of tabs is tedious.

No auto indent, sorry. But you can use an external editor,
call your main proc like you call your source code file,
and run it by its name.
When you have a new version,
then you may type erall to remove all of your old definitions,
then go up in the commander window and call your program again.

Quote:
>6. A number of the example programs (from the UCBLogo distribution)
>don't seem to run properly. Is there a site that has versions which
>have been fixed up? Or is there a problem with my configuration that
>causes errors? Would it be useful for me to generate a list of the
>problems that I ran into?

Hmm, there are several difficulties to overcome,
because MSWLogo is missing most of the important text mode commands.
For example, there`s no setCursor,
also the text at the cursor`s position cannot be read,
because there is no real cursor, there`s only this list box control. :-(

Quote:
>7. Has MSWLogo ever been ported to VC++/MFC?

I don`t know, but I ported UCBLogo to MFC.

Ciao!
Andreas

Tue, 17 Feb 2004 04:12:38 GMT
 MSWLogo Questions

Quote:

> Hi all,

> I'm using MSWLogo to teach an intro programming class at a local high
> school. I've run into a few issues, and am wondering if there are
> known work-arounds (or what I'm doing wrong). Any advice would be
> appreciated:

> 1. I view the workspace, via the edit "<name> command or clicking the
> Edall button. Then I select Exit from the Editor's File menu. It
> always says that the contents of the workspace have changed, even
> when I don't do any editing. Is this a bug, or expected behavior?

This is a bug in MSWLogo when running under Windows 2000

Quote:
> 2. When a student incorrectly creates an endless recusion function,
> the program crashes with an access violation. For example, it will say

> "The instruction at "0x0040ed3c" referenced memory at "0x61732220".
> The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program."

> I was expecting that an interpreted language such as Logo could catch
> stack overflow conditions before they cause the entire environment to
> die.

One of these days...

Quote:

> 3. In single step mode, the Step window doesn't seem to remember its
> position - it always pops up on top of the graphics window. So if a
> student is stepping through code that draws on the screen, they have
> to keep moving it out of the way to see what's going on. Is there any
> way to set the position of this window?

Ditto, this is a problem for all dialogs.

Quote:

> 4. In the editor, right click doesn't bring up a cut/copy/paste menu.
> Is this some kind of MFC standard (and thus not there because MSWLogo
> is built with Borland), or can I do something to enable it?

MSWLogo is not MFC, OWL and these reason some things are a little
unconventional.

Quote:

> 5. In the editor, is there any way to turn on auto-tabbing? If the
> body of a function (or text inside of brackets) is indented, then the
> repeated typing of tabs is tedious.

Some day, common request along with styled text for key words etc.

Quote:

> 6. A number of the example programs (from the UCBLogo distribution)
> don't seem to run properly. Is there a site that has versions which
> have been fixed up? Or is there a problem with my configuration that
> causes errors? Would it be useful for me to generate a list of the
> problems that I ran into?

Most do run, some run poorly, it's left as an exercise to beef them up.

Quote:

> 7. Has MSWLogo ever been ported to VC++/MFC?

> Sorry for all of the questions...this is my first real exposure to
> Logo (plus I'm more of a Mac guy than Windows), so I'm sure a number
> of these are due to pilot error.

UCBWLogo is VC++ I think, but it's not MSWLogo and not MFC and not C++ the
last time I looked.

Quote:
> Thanks,

> -- Ken

> LogoForum messages are archived at:

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:30:19 GMT

1. MSWLogo question: Active bitmap area

2. LOGO-L> Re: MSWLogo questions

3. MSWLogo question

4. MSWLogo question

5. MSWLogo question...

6. MSWLogo question - windowcreate

7. LOGO-L> Re: mswlogo questions/suggestions

8. LOGO-L> Re: MSWLogo Questions

9. LOGO-L> MSWLogo Questions

10. LOGO-L> MSWLogo question

11. MSWLogo font question...