LOGO-L> Total Turtle Trip
Author Message
 LOGO-L> Total Turtle Trip

Sorry for the delay in replying. A by-election happened and I got stuck
as agent.

I think the problem lies in the transfer of ideas from the mathematics of
mind supported by pen and paper mathematical instruments to
mental mathematics supported by the computer as the medium of
representation.

All that I an saying is that Turtle geometry is the geometry of a virtual
ruler. Specifically, TG has no representation of a compass.

The vocabulary of Logo, as it applies to TG, is solely of turn and move
(left & right, forward & back). The so called 'turtle circle' is the
definition of a regular polygon:

repeat :n (forward :side right 360/:n)

What I an saying is a simple matter of language:
Within the TG subset of Logo vocabulary it is possible to describe a
regular polygon. A description of regular polygon is not a description of
a circle.

To describe a circle we need to add to our vocabulary. The arc primitive
does just this. To the virtual ruler of forward, the arc primitive adds a
virtual compass.

Now, having drawn two figures on the screen that look identical but which
are based on totally different descriptions, then we have food for thought
about what underlying expression might generate such shapes. We can
investigate the nature of the difference by manipulating the inputs to the
procedures. For instance, the polygon 'circle' can be transformed into a
square whilst the arc circle can inflate and deflate.

An a quick comment on a remark of Jeff Richardson's:

It follows from my argument that it is unsound to transfer the concept of
a *tangent* from Euclidean to Turtle geometry. The notion of setting the
turtle heading at 90 units relative to its current heading is, however,
OK.

Many of our problems are related to the use of TG to support extant
mathematics rather than to use Logo to redefine mathematics teaching - and
I don't mean in sociocentric terms.

Michael Doyle (aka Micheal O Duill)
37 Bright Street
SKIPTON BD23 1QQ UK
Tel/fax: +44 (0)1756 794601

Fri, 28 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> Total Turtle Trip

Quote:

>All that I an saying is that Turtle geometry is the geometry of a virtual
>ruler. Specifically, TG has no representation of a compass.

I'm not sure I understand this.  Without a compass you couldn't construct
any polygon!  They aren't used only for circles.

Fri, 28 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. LOGO-L> Total Turtle Trip

2. LOGO-L> Re: Total Turtle Trip

3. LOGO-L> Re: Total Turtle Trip

4. LOGO-L> Total Turtle Trip

5. Total Turtle Trip Theorem?

6. LOGO-L>My DOS turtle needs to become an NT turtle

7. ANNOUNCE>>>>>TOTAL FrameWork from Cincom

8. Searching for Geo-Logo / Turtle Math / Turtle Paths

9. Searching for Geo-Logo / Turtle Math / Turtle Paths

10. Searching for Geo-Logo / Turtle Math / Turtle Paths

11. LOGO-L> changing and saving turtle shapes

12. LOGO-L> names for turtles