LOGO-L> mac vrs pc MicroWorlds
Author Message
 LOGO-L> mac vrs pc MicroWorlds

Help: I have a student who has MW's 2.03 MAC version at home; will it be
readable at school on our PC's (MW's 2.03 version)? Or is there a way to
make it readable at school?
thanks,
clare hudson

Sun, 28 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> mac vrs pc MicroWorlds

Quote:
> Help: I have a student who has MW's 2.03 MAC version at home; will it be
> readable at school on our PC's (MW's 2.03 version)? Or is there a way to
> make it readable at school?

Clare
you can use the IMPORT and EXPORT primitives to translate MW projects
between the 2 platforms.

cheers

Jeff

Sun, 28 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LOGO-L> mac vrs pc MicroWorlds

You will find the following Read Me on your Macintosh MicroWorlds 2.0 cd-rom.
You can also look up Import and Export in your vocabulary list found under the
MicroWorlds Help menu.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Shawn Jesty
LCSI

Importing and Exporting MicroWorlds projects

The most important feature of MicroWorlds 2.03 for Macintosh is the ability to
import MW 2.0 Windows projects for use on the Macintosh, and export MW 2.0
Macintosh projects for use on Windows computers. Two MicroWorlds primitives are
used: import and export (see MicroWorlds Help Vocabulary). These primitives are
only available on the Macintosh version of MicroWorlds, so MicroWorlds project
conversion must be done with a Macintosh computer.

We recommend increasing the preferred size for MicroWorlds to 10000K when
importing and exporting. Choose Get Info from the File menu when the
MicroWorlds icon is selected in the Finder to change the preferred size. Some
MicroWorlds Windows projects may have to be simplified or split into smaller
projects to work within the Macintosh environment because MicroWorlds Windows
has a minimum partition of 12 MB.

MicroWorlds 2.03 can import Windows projects and export projects to Windows
almost seamlessly. All MicroWorlds objects such as turtles, shapes, procedures,
text boxes, and buttons are converted automatically. After importing a Windows
project, you can run it almost effortlessly on the Macintosh. But there is an
important exception. Although the MicroWorlds project can be imported and
exported to and from Windows, the media resources that are external to
MicroWorlds are not automatically converted with the project. Media resources
include sounds, midi music files (on Windows), and movies.

MicroWorlds 2.03 provides media resources that correspond almost exactly to
those included with MicroWorlds 2.0 Windows. If a project includes
sounds/midis/movies from these MicroWorlds resources, you just need to find the
corresponding media resource (in the Macintosh MicroWorlds CD ROM or the
Windows MicroWorlds CD ROM). You can directly copy these files into your
project folder.

Here is a table of the media resource formats comparison between Macintosh and
Windows:

MACINTOSH                 WINDOWS

sounds AIFF                 .wav

midis  QuickTime Sounds     .mid

movies Quicktime Movies     .avi

Note:  If you are importing many projects from Windows, we recommend using
merge to change the project size in MicroWorlds Windows to the same size as
MicroWorlds Macintosh and limiting the number of pages in a project to less
than five.

IMPORTING MICROWORLDS 2.0 FOR WINDOWS PROJECTS

To import a Windows project into MicroWorlds 2.03:

1. Create a folder in which to place the original Windows project and media
resources. Copy the Windows files into this folder from an external disk or
using a network utility.

Note: If your project does not contain media resources external to the project,
skip to Step 3.

2. If the media resources are taken from the media resources included with
MicroWorlds, simply copy the Macintosh media resources from the MicroWorlds
Macintosh CD ROM. If there are sounds or midis that are new, then use a sound
utility. A good source for sound utilities on the Internet is: www.wavenet.com.
If you have system 7.6 or higher, you can also use MoviePlayer to convert
sounds and midis.

When converting sounds in a sound utility, keep the same name of the sound, but
delete the extension, so your project will run without changing the sound
names. For example, if you are converting BEEP.WAV to an AIFF format, name the
sound BEEP.

3. Use Save as from the file menu to access the folder you have just created
directly.

4. Type in the Command Center:

import "myproj.mw2              Use the name of your project.

Note: If the Windows project name is more than 8 characters, the name might be
truncated with the special character ~. Type the project name exactly as it
appears on the Finder.

5. The project appears on the screen as Untitled. Name the project using Save
as from the File menu.

6. Use the eye tool to check which objects are in the project. .WAV and .MID
files appear as QuickTime sound icons in the project. An .AVI file appears as a
QuickTime movie poster. If you have already converted the media files, or
copied the needed Macintosh media resources into the project folder, the
project should be working. See below, Problems/Differences between MicroWorlds
Macintosh and Windows, for further adjustments you may have to make in the
project.

Note: There is another way to import a MicroWorlds Windows project. You can use
Import Text from the File menu instead of typing import in the Command Center.
The Windows project file is recognized by MicroWorlds as a text file. This may
be confusing since it is not evident that a Windows project file is a text
file.  In addition, Import Project is an item in the File menu. Import Project
only works with Macintosh projects, and is used to merge projects.

EXPORTING MICROWORLDS 2.03 MACINTOSH PROJECTS TO WINDOWS

To export a Macintosh project to Windows:

1. Create a folder and place the original Macintosh project and its media
resources in this folder.

2. Open the project that you want to convert, then type in the Command Center:

export "myproj             Use the name of your project.

3. The file appears as a PC file on the Finder, with the extension .mw2 added.
Use an external disk or a network utility to copy this file to your Windows
computer.

As in importing, you can either copy the MicroWorlds media resources for
Windows, or use a utility to convert the media resources. Once you open the
project with MicroWorlds 2.0 for Windows, AIFF and QuickTime sound files appear
in the Windows project as .WAV icons, and QuickTime movies will appear as .AVI
icons.

Note: A sound that you recorded on the Macintosh which was part of the project
will become an external AIFF sound when the project is exported.

PROBLEMS/DIFFERENCES BETWEEN MICROWORLDS MACINTOSH AND WINDOWS

1. Sounds and Midis
In Windows, a sound effect can be heard while midi music is playing. On the
Macintosh, both sounds and midis are quicktime sounds, and only play on one
channel. This means you will only hear one or the other.

On the Macintosh, there are system and MicroWorlds internal sounds. This means
there is a slight difference between the Macintosh and Windows media resources.
For example, there is no sound called Oops in the Macintosh media resources
because it already is a MicroWorlds internal sound. In addition, recorded
sounds in the Macintosh are considered internal sounds while all sounds in
Windows are external to the project.

2. Laserdisk
There is no laserdisk object in MicroWorlds Windows. Thus, once a Macintosh
project containing a laserdisk object has been exported, the laserdisk object
is no longer in the project.

3. Colors and Detection
There are two color modes in MicroWorlds Macintosh projects, 256 colors and
thousands of colors. MicroWorlds Windows projects can be created only in
thousands of colors.

Programmed colors that are close to black or white may change when a Windows
project has been imported on the Macintosh or vice versa.

4. Text Count
If you use text primitives in your programs, you may encounter problems between
Macintosh and Windows, because characters are counted differently. On Windows,
a line of text has a carriage return and a line feed following it, so textcount
reports the number of characters in the line plus 2. On the Macintosh, there is
only a carriage return following the line. In other words, you may have to
adjust your programs manipulating text.

5. Long Names
If you use an external disk to transfer projects and media files between
Windows and Macintosh, you will notice that long names on Windows are truncated
to 8 characters on the Macintosh, often with the special character ~. Use the
name exactly as it appears on the Finder when using import.

6. Objects
Since projects are much bigger in Windows, objects such as text boxes may be
partially out of the screen area when they are imported. Use the eye tool to
find the objects. If you cannot grab them with the mouse, use the set command.
For example:

set "text1 "pos [0 0]   puts Text1 back in the screen area.

When using the command get to check which sounds are available on a project
page, MicroWorlds Macintosh uses a different word than in Windows. You must use
the word qtsounds. See get in the Help vocabulary.

7. Melodies
Melodies created with the Melody Editor on Windows have a diverse selection of
instruments. The Macintosh version is more limited. When a melody is converted,
you may want to adjust the instruments.

In addition, the timing of melodies on Windows is twice as fast as on the
Macintosh, so you may have to make timing adjustments once a melody is
converted.

8. Transitions
Transitions between pages are different on the Macintosh and Windows. You may
have to adjust the transition after importing or exporting.

9. Text Font
The fonts available on the Macintosh and Windows are different. Many fonts in
the Macintosh are not available in Windows and visa-versa. You may have to make
changes in fonts after importing or exporting.

10. Text and Turtles
In projects where turtles and transparent text appear, text is under a turtle
on Windows, whereas it is over the turtle on the Macintosh. You may have to
adjust the position of the text to compensate.

11. Movies
Movies can be resized on the Macintosh but not on Windows. If a movie that has
been resized is exported to Windows, it will appear with a larger frame than
the actual movie. Just delete the movie, and import the Windows format movie
from the MicroWorlds media resources instead. Or go back the the Macintosh, set
the size of the movie to its original size, and then re-export the project.

12. Announce and Question
If you have ...

read more »

Sat, 04 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. LOGO-L> Re: mac vrs pc MicroWorlds

2. LOGO-L> Pc to Mac on MicroWorld

3. LOGO-L> Mac Microworlds help

4. LOGO-L> MicroWorlds Pro for the Mac

5. LOGO-L> PC MAC formats

6. LOGO-L> converting PC MW to Mac

7. LOGO-L> Re: MicroWorlds Logo Assistance

8. Mac Object Logo vs. Microworlds

9. LOGO-L> Logo for MAC

10. LOGO-L> MW Logo on a Mac

11. LOGO-L> Object Logo for PC