Constructivism
Author Message
 Constructivism

I guess for me it's about the source of the goals. If the goals come from
the teacher or the institution, and school work is directed toward those
goals, then it's not student-based. If the goals come from the student, then
it is.

In real life we have teachers working toward their goals and students
working toward theirs. Sometimes they conflict, sometimes they are in
harmony. I'm not sure yet how that fits in.

I too have struggled with this issue over the years.
Here's where I am at this point.

When the child is young, the parents often DO know what's best for them.
I then see the change of power (that is selecting goals) shifting gradually
over the years.

Between conception and birth the mother dominates all thru chemistry and
environment. According to Suzuki, choice of music has an impact on the
developing fetus, but the choice of music is 100% the parents.
Thus Parental control 100%??????Child 0%

Between birth and say 6 mos. the child begins to express preferences.
Having 5 children & 4 grandchildren, I can guarantee that the child, not
the parents, determine when, in the middle of the night, the crying begins,
  and ends :-(
Perhaps Parental control 95%????Child 5%

Around age 2, the child discovers the awesome power of the word NO.
Now its:
Perhaps Parental control 85%????Child 15%

Around age 5-6, when the child leaves the total domination of the home and
enters the world of school, there is another shift:
Perhaps Parental control 75%????Child 25%

Around 10-13, puberty hits , and another major shift in power occurs.

By 18-21 it settles to:
Perhaps Parental control 2%?????Child 98%

My oldest daughter is 41, and still occasionally calls me for advice :-)

Perhaps this sliding scale model offers an alternative to the either-or
model that is so popular...

Bob

In addition to the Reality of events,
is the reality of each individuals "Construction"
or perhaps Interpretation of those events.
We all see Common Events through our own individual Filters.
- Bob Gorman
http://www.*-*-*.com/

LogoForum messages are archived at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:06:10 GMT
 Constructivism

??? I'm with Bob on the sliding scale (as an aside, I'll bet he
occasionally calls the 41 yr old daughter for advice too!) ?I'd add to Bob'
s observations that ?1) the sliding scale slides at different rates for
different children depending on personalities and other variables and ?2)
it is at different points in different aspects of a relationship. ?For
example, we shifted the bulk of clothes selection to our kids fairly early
(along with a clothing allowance) however, in other aspects of the
relationship (say hours of play or TV) we maintained quite a bit of control.
??? Its all a lot of weaning with a lot of luck and not a few mistakes
along the way! ?What parents of one kid (& non-parents) probably don't
realize is that even if you get it right for one kid, that success may have
little or no bearing on success with the next kid. ?I find that some of my
educational colleagues without kids have some very simplistic ideas and
expectations about a parent's role ... ?But then a lot of parents have very
simplistic ideas and expectations about a teacher's role too ... or is that
just the parents of my students ??

John Toews

http://www.kncell.org

LogoForum messages are archived at:

LogoForum messages are archived at:

Sun, 10 Jul 2005 14:49:14 GMT

1. Inspiring vs. Selling Constructivism

2. Inspiring vs Selling of Constructivism

3. Fwd: [LogoForum] Inspiring vs Selling of Constructivism

4. Constructivism

5. Constructivism in the real world

6. Constructivism

7. Constructivism

8. Constructivism

9. A testimony to Constructivism power...

10. Constructivism

11. Constructivism