Logo Question
Author Message
 Logo Question

Hello,

I am currently attending a high school in mid-Michigan. I am *very*
interested in computer programming, and I have taught myself many
languages, such as Visual Basic, java, javascript, activex, and
VBScript.

However, my school's programming courses are not what I expected: we are
learning logo. I taught myself logo in elementary school, so the work is
not the problem; i am wondering, though, why are we learning logo in
programming one, then we are supposed to learn C++(!) in programming
two. I don't see how logo teaches me about structured programming. Any
explaination?

Also, can anyone say that they use logo to do programming today for
clients? I am thinking of just dual-enrolling at the local college..

Jeff

Sun, 23 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Logo Question

Quote:

>However, my school's programming courses are not what I expected: we are
>learning logo.

I'm guessing that what you taught yourself in elementary school was just
a tiny corner of Logo, namely, turtle graphics.  If your high school really
teaches a thorough Logo course, it will be terrific preparation for
whatever you learn later.

Logo, since it's a dialect of Lisp, excels at symbolic programming and
functional programming tasks.  For a very short example, check out
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/logo-sample.html
which is a four-line program to find the cross product of arbitrary
numbers of sets.

Some of my favorite Logo programs:
  * A program to solve logic puzzles, combining inference with backtracking.
  * A Pascal compiler.
  * An implementation of Dan Bobrow's STUDENT program that solves
    algebra word problems.
  * A program to translate regular expressions into finite state machines.

If you get a copy of Berkeley Logo from my web page, it'll include
all of those, among others.

Of course I don't know exactly what your high school is teaching you.
If they're just redoing the same things you did in elementary school,
I agree that that's a waste of your time -- but instead of giving up
on them, you should ask for more demanding projects to work on.

Mon, 24 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Logo Question

Quote:

> Hello,

> I am currently attending a high school in mid-Michigan. I am *very*
> interested in computer programming, and I have taught myself many
> languages, such as visual basic, java, javascript, activex, and
> vbscript.

> However, my school's programming courses are not what I expected: we are
> learning logo. I taught myself logo in elementary school, so the work is
> not the problem; i am wondering, though, why are we learning logo in
> programming one, then we are supposed to learn C++(!) in programming
> two. I don't see how logo teaches me about structured programming. Any
> explaination?

> Also, can anyone say that they use logo to do programming today for
> clients? I am thinking of just dual-enrolling at the local college..

> Jeff

If you truly love "languages" then Logo (a member of the Lisp family)
is definitely one to learn. Each language you learn will increase your
wealth of how to approach different problems (even in different
languages).
Also keep in mind that most of the other students in the class are
probably
not like yourself and may be their first programming experience. Since
your
likely to pick it up quickly you may get more out of helping others than
trying to cram in another language.

Also be careful not to rush through the languages. I thought I knew C++
5 years ago, lets just say I didn't.

MSWLogo (which is a derivative of UCBLogo and also FREE) offers event
driven programming which you should be used to based on your list above.
See the web page below if your interested.

Good luck.

George Mills

http://www.softronix.com

Mon, 24 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. LOGO-L> Logo question

2. LOGO-L> Re: Logo questions

3. LOGO-L> Logo Question

4. Terrapin Logo question

5. Logo question from a homeschooling mom

6. Logo Question

7. Logo Question

8. UCB Logo Questions

9. Help for LOGO question???

10. UCB Logo Questions

11. LOGO-L> LOGO - AN OUTSIDERS QUESTION

12. LOGO-L> Re: Logo pen question